Gameplayhelp/hints/discussions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Jun 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Belgham

Belgham Member

A rogue with high skill in magic items can also use wand of improved invis. Throw in mirror image and stoneskin wands for a truly super, invulnerable killing machine. Come in handy for those tough fights (St Cuthbert comes into mind)

2. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I was wondering myself about Feat of Strength and smite, I'm playing a dwarven cleric of Cuthbert and I don't see anywhere in the manual where it says I receive those abilities. I was surprised when I saw them. Are other abilities available for other deity's?

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If you have the luck domain, you can re-roll your next failed save, or your next crit confirmation, or your next failed skill check.

If you have the animal domain you can charm animals (as the spell but works like rebuke undead on one animal X times a day.

I forget the others.

4. Belgham

Belgham Member

Remember to pick them from radial menu. This is really great for 1 cleric to combo with high dex/dual wield rog using high crit hit weapons (e.g. scimitar, rapier).

5. Scorched_Earth

Who pays the most for gems? or does that just depend on appraise

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

The jeweller in Hommlet always gave me the best price, funny cos I would've thought that it would be easyer to rip off other merchants with shiny stuff than someone who knew what they were talking about. I can't remember how much my appraise came into it.

7. Scorched_Earth

oh...I always kill him. seems like nobody in Hommlet cares cuz u can kill him with a good party and nothing happens. maybe i should be nicer next time...

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I've been playing the "original" out-of-the-box game using the hints and tips from the forum. Even with the knowledge and forewarning of previous play the game was a hassle. To me there is one thing very obvious, the game needs NEW CONTENT badly. I don't mean a-bomb weapons and super-magic for the power hungry manipulators, who will never be satisfied anyway. We need new scenarios, monsters, situatuions were the player can use the skills, feats, etc they have developed. The game doesn't need 20th level superheros the can kill everything in 20 minutes. The high level play is out of context as is. Hopefully, Liv2.0 will create some interesting new play. I did find one thing interesting. Fruella got the holy sword from the Meleny quest and she was awesome. I wasn't aware of the aoo that sword has. I still haven't figured out how she gets so many critical hits. I think the Troika gamewriter who put her in hardcoded her someway.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Maybe the extendy crit-range of her Cleaver is hard-coded into her. Or maybe u just got some lucky rolls, it happens :)
    Working on it! And you can bet Fruella will feature prominently :eyebrow:

10. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Yup. It's a beautiful D&D 3.5 combat simulator, but the game is tiny. Shame, as the mechanics are as close to the tabletop game as anything I've seen, better than the current Bioware stuff and far better than the IE games.

OTOH, with the huge IE modding communities out there, you can now get something like 200+ hours of fan created content in addition to the original games if you want to do a marathon BG, BG2SOA and TOB session (especially as most of Icewind Dale 1 has been integrated into BG2 by the Neverending Story/Big Picture mod). The mechanics are not as good, but you can spend a solid few months or more playing it.

11. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I hope that, when I'm back, that phantomatic 2.0 is out and I hope that Liv won't reject what we developed in the meantime... it would be hard to mod the game as long as she will make a 2.5, a 3.0 and so on and she want to keep her mod "pure" without our additions.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Liv's said time and again that Co8 can use her mod in whatever way we want. Of course, we can't expect her to merge all the other Co8 stuff with her work. Integration will be up to us.

btw, why is her 2.0 mod "phantomatic?" She'll either release it or she won't. Taking little jabs at her isn't going to inspire her to "shit or get off the pot." Time to put any personal history behind us and pull together for the "big win," O.

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

With the original game I never got past the water temple and level 2. I didn't get to end game until I got 3.0.4 and temple.dll and a lot of luck and tips. I don't care how or who does it, need New CONTENT! I'd like to see the modders concentrate their efforts in that area. There's way more than enough magical things ,feats, skills,etc to play a strong game. Work on the monsters AI, add new ones if possible, edit .dlg scripts, whatever it takes to get new content. Just make it happen.

14. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Gaear, you misunderstood my words. It is just to say that, since Liv completely disappeared from the forum, I'm just asking myself if and when she will be back. I think that she is a person of exceptional good taste and fantasy and I want to play her mod as well. I just hope that 2.0 will be final, so that we will be able to add our ideas without having the udpate problem that is making us almost inactive from the time that she left. I really hope to see her back when I'm back from Poland. If she is not after 2 more weeks and so, I'll start to end my works on my protos without her 2.0 and to realize some project that I already started to discuss with Shiningted.
    In the next months I'll not be able to be as present as now in the forum.

15. Enialus Meliamne

Enialus Meliamne Member

I use the 7 & 1 option for the game now. My current party is as follows and I find them VERY useful.
    1 Elven Bard (Longbow user and party face)
    Bow feats pcs, pbs, wflb rs
    2 Human 1ftr/Xrog (Also Longbow user and skill junky)
    Bow feats all the way to include Shot on the Run (No rapid shot or many shot)
    3 Elven Cleric of Corellon Larethian (War and Good) feats: Improved turning, Combat Casting, Craft Wand, Crafts Arms and Armor
    4 Elven Conjuror (Single most valuable character in the party atm, spare longbow user)
    Spell Focus and greater Spell Focus Conjuration, Augment Summoning, craft wand, craft arms and armor, etc)
    5 Elven Sorceror (Evoker, fry baby, spare crossbow user) Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus Evocation)
    6 Dwarven 1 barb/x ftr EWP BS, PA, Cleave, WF and WS WH/BS)
    7 HO Barb (PA, Cleave, Great Cleave, WF GS)

I pick up Meleny for my party and take her druid all the way (SFC and Augment Summoning for her now that lvling is possible for NPCs)
    Facing two juggernauts? No problem. Summon many meat shields and pluck away)
    My first order in battle for the wiz and druid? Summon forth meat OR summon forth movement inhibitors or Stinking Cloud). Stinking cloud is a life saver against the flame brothers and salamanders. Sickened enemies = not able to attack enemies

Im already thinking up my next party concept:
    3 wizards (Conjuror, Evoker, and Enchanter) (3 Elves)
    1 Barb/X Cleric of Kord (Greatsword user of course)
    1 Paladin Long Sword or Bastard Sword (Haven't worked that out yet) Party Face
    1 Rog (Skill Junky)
    1 (Haven't worked it out yet but likely a Str Monk)
    1 Meleny (Always useful imho) (I get her early so she is almost the same lvl as my 7)

Our Host!