My first (sucesfull) try that goes over protos hacking

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by 0rion79, Jun 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Hi, I did something that I like very much and that I'm sure you'll enjoy too.
    The list of changes is in a post below in this same thread and it fixes some other things plus everything that I already did while working on the protos for Drifter's constitution fix, that contains Allyx' items. Plus, it adds some kind of order to the game and some new element, including a short background for some magic weapons.
    Files must be installed as usual. The protos, for the newbies, goes into the rules folder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I'm interested in seeing your changes, but I'll wait for more of a description first. ;)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, bit too cryptic Orion, does this have new quests etc?

4. MB

MB Member

Orion,

I agree with what has already been said - can you be more specific? Not sure I want to D/L if I don't know what it is I'm D/Ling. :dance:

5. 0rion79

Oh, uff.... can't you enyou to find it by yourself? Anyway, the fixes are what follows:
    - fixed Galeb Dur accordingly with 3.5 rules, and this si a minor change
    - re-made juggernaut making him working like a golem of the same size (damage reduction 10/admantine, spell immunity)

now those are the two main changes.
    I fixed tamir's inventory, since it showed only 4 items on 6 and there was the need to buy 2 of them first to see the last 2, then I lightly improved the brother smith's masterwork quest...

If it is not enough, keep on reading.

... then, I modified his and Tamir's list of available item and.....
    I did an experiment with the protos.
    In the game there are for sure cold iron, silver and adamantium variabiles for damage reduction, but they are not active except for silver. In othe words, if I write monster DR adamantine 10, the game will not read the variable because it is hardcoded like many other things. So I asked myself, why not using the monster DR silver to give a bit of more variety and use it to restore monster DR cold iron & adamantine? For example, now Balor has monster DR 10/holy and 5/silver instead of the original 15/holy & cold iron. For me it is just better than what he has before that was 15/cold-holy, where the world "cold" mean that only a weapon that deals cold damage, like the longbow of frost, will do. It is not too far away from rules, since many minor demons and devils have damage resistance X/silver. Now monsters are a bit more challengening because there are not many silver weapons but only 4 total silver weapons and many kind of ammos.
    About brother smith, I always belived that his quest was something that unbalanced the game, because a PC must have access to masterwork items BEFORE than magic weapons and, instead, everytime that I killed the giant, I already have a lot of magic items. Now, instead, the masterwork weapons are available from the beginning but the head of a giant unlock the quest to obtain special material items, like silver weapons, adamantine and mithral plates and stuff....
    I'm waiting for liv's return because I don't understand how she was able to have some strings to disappear in tamir's inventory and I would do the same with all rare-metal items, so that all of them except the arrows, may be ordered more than once.
    Of course, since I moved some of the items listed in tamir's letter into borthersmith's list, I filled tamir's list with something much more useful than that crappy comp bow STR +2 and boosted the longbow of frost, fixing prices.
    In future, I would like what follow, but only after that Liv's 2.0 is relased:
    - make Terjon to give the Paladin the holy avenger owned by an old paladin or have somebody else to craft it from the sword given by Filken when marrying Meleny, that should quickly shifted from Holy +1 to silver +1.
    - Add some dialogue to Zaxxis, because he says NOTHING when a letter from his deat sister is found.
    So, at the end, give it a try....

6. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I don't necesseraly agree with you on the brother smith stuff. I've never played the game completely through before so maybe it's just that I dont know where all the powerful magical items are, but I took down that Hill Giant at 3rd and 4th level and my best weapon was a longsword +1 and a dagger +1. I havent even entered the 1st level of the temple. And also about the comp bow +2, when I first saw that i practically drooled and instantly bought it,since I have yet to see a regular comp bow much less a magical one. I find that access to masterwork items just for the hell of it is pretty broken. But dont get me wrong, I'm not trashing ur work or anything. The whole silver weapon dammage resistant thing sounds very promising.

7. 0rion79

8. Scorched_Earth

I suppose u have a valid point on the cost of the masterwork items. They are expensive and pretty hard to buy at low levels. I guess my real issue isnt necessarily with the masterwork weapons, but the availability of any type of weapon,armor, etc. as masterwork. I like the fact that you cant just buy full plate at the beginning of the game. Maybe if u limited masterwork items to certain weapons or armor? Also, about hommlet, all that stuffs available if u complete all the quests and get elmo in ur party; not everyone chooses that path. And that holy sword isnt that great in my evil party.

9. 0rion79

As long as we are unable to modify shopkeepers list, I'm sorry to tell you that no original trader sells any full plate, as well as many other kind of weapons. This reduces game strategies. Anyway, don't worry: a party should be able to buy no more than 1 or 2 masterwork stuff before looting the moat-house, because of those items' price. See them like a shining Rolex behind the glasses of a shop, that you MAY buy if you had enough moneys. It is here, only for being seen from customers and to be acquired only from few of them.
    About strategies, I agree with you: not everybody will make those same choiches, but still they are available for too low level parties and players that may want to take them and anyway, the head of giant quest is still in te game, it just opens a new stock of items. I think it is much more interesting than before.
    About that holy longsword, you're right about the fact that it is not that useful for an evil party, but remember that evil partires are 1/3 of the available ones. More, I think you'll really need it if you want to beat archmonsters like the balor, to bypass his DR 10/holy.... and anyway, I ask you: if you are evil, how did you manage to marry meleny?
    At the end, I tell you this: talking is useful but not as much as playing. Give it a try, starting a new game, and tell me how you feel with it.

10. Scorched_Earth

As soon as i finish this game, ill start another with ur stuff. my party alignment is lawful neutral, but all my characters are lawful evil. i didnt have a problem marrying meleny..am i supposed to?

11. 0rion79

Well, you have to do good actions to marry her: helpin' Fillken and a lot of other people. I would never expect something from an evil character, but it is you who must enjoy the game, so, it is not important.
    insted, I checked one detail: the starting gold for parties is 500 MO, so this means that a new party may buy only ONE masterwork weapon at the beginning or a light/medium armor, accordingly with the fact that the player may want to pump up his favourited tank from the beginning, or not. Infact, investing all starting moneys in m.w. stuff may prevent the player from recruiting Elmo or buying better equipment for other party members (scrolls, potions, armors and shields). So, no limits: just more choiches.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry Orion I don't get it - Zaxis has a load of responses to his sister's note: lines 600-664. Or do they only fire if you give Zaxis the note when he is outside the party? I have never found the note so I don't know.

13. stormbard

stormbard Member

I have Zaxis in my party, and we found the letter not long ago. He had quite a bit to say about having revenge, and that songs can be sung for peace, but also for war, and it's now time to sing for war! (only a rough - actually very rough, approx. of actual dialogue!). I thought that part of the game was well done.

14. 0rion79

Damn...... then it is me who missed the thing. Too bad! I tried have him read the letter, to read it and to talk to him but nothing happened. It was like if there was no string. Ok, less work then! Yuppy! But, please, would you tell me esactly what you did to have him to talk?

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

you get the note on level 4 of the temple (as you arrive take the 1st left, then left again) in the secret room (where the troll and ettin are), have a pc "use item" on the note then talk to Zaxis.

Our Host!