I give up on this damn game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DaveWomble, Aug 6, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

I've had enough. I've restarted over 6-7 times now (have yet to complete a single playthrough) due to the corrupted save files (mainly) and some other issues. I love the game and the mod but seriously, the corrupt saves is epidemic. Each time I play I get to lower levels of Temple just before Nodes (never seen em) and *poof* all my saves corrupt. All. My. Saves. This time it was 27. Yes, I sat and tried to load each one. And each save is it's own, always named differently, and different location. Like when I get back to town to rest and shop, I'll save in front of signpost, then inside the Inn, then inside leather shop, then at blacksmith, etc etc you get it. But really? 27 save files all go corrupt at same time?

Totally unacceptable and Its the single most maddening peev I have with this mod and those who made it. The feeling of defeat and resignation is quite a bummer.

I gotta shelve it again I guess, before I launch my laptop out the window.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Are you blaming the mod for it? Why?

Again, if you could post your corrupt savegame files it might actually help in solving them.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That is unfortunate, save corruption is a very annoying problem that has plagued thr game from the beginning.

Could you post some affected save files here so they may be analysed?

Edit: Ghah! Ninja'd at the last second...

4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Some of those problems can be avoided, e.g. don’t use autosaves, use the console cheats not at all or only very carefully, never resting or saving on a random encounter map etc:
    http://www.co8.org/community/index....le-of-eight-modpack-new-content-edition.8742/

And if problems arise, don’t just load all other prior savegames to look for a working one. Actually exit the game and only then try to reload an older save.

Gehennis likes this.
  5. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

That's too bad- I've not had game crash or a corrupted save since I originally bought the game when it first came out (before this site was established i would guess). It used to crash right at the end of the Hadrack fight (on the rare occasion I could finish that fight) in the lower Temple. Actually didn't finish the game until I found this place and used the mods they had created. I'm sure if there's a fix to be found they can help you find it...

6. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

Yes I know all of these things and have done them, hence the resignation and epic level of agitation.

7. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

I wouldn't even know how to post save files here. I deleted them all to start over for the nth time

8. Allyx

Your saved games would be in the modules/toee/save folder, each save has 6 files (2 .jpgs and 4 other files) select all 6 with the same name, use 7zip or something to add them to a zip file, then upload the zip file here for examination.

9. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

Yes I blame the mod because I never experienced corrupt save files until after I installed Co8.

No idea how to post save files here

10. Allyx

To upload the saves, you zip the save files with 7zip or winzip and attach the zip file to your forum post.

11. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

Trying one more play through changing certain things I did/didn't do last times since this most recent play through was the best/stablest yet. If/when I encounter issues I'll post em.

Incidentally last nite after my 27 save files corrupted and I lost my mind I decided to try another old game I never got far in before because when it came out my system sucked: pool of radiance myth drannor, and after install it wouldn't even load so there's another notch on the old game irritation board.

12. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

Oh btw, is perform skill relevant (in this game) to monks at all? I've tried searching elsewhere in vain.

13. Allyx

No, it's only really relevant to bards as it dictates which bardic performances they can perform.

14. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

I figured. I realize developers wanted it to reflect rules set closely but geez....so many useless skills, feats, spells etc in the game.

15. Allyx

Could be worse, the game files do still list Climb, Swim, Linguistics, Run Handle Animal and Ride as possible skills... Can't say many people are calling for those to be implemented though.

Our Host!