Prestigious Party

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BrotherSmythe, May 3, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

Yes, another party composition idea. I thought that it would be interesting to have a party composed of all prestige class characters.
    Challenging perhaps? Definitely some planning involved. Magic,melee,ballistic and stealth. You would have to have room for level advancement and character growth.
    Dwarven Defender,Duelist
    Eldritch Knight, Mystic Thurge
    Arcane Archer, Trickster
    ?
    It's all good here.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I also considered running this type of game...

1. Bard/Dualist (face character)
    2. Rogue/Assassin
    3. Fighter/Dwarven Defender
    4. Wizard/Archmage
    5. Cleric/Wizard/Mystic Theurge

...IMHO, this would probably be the easiest prestige party to build, but Ideally I would go for something a little bit more complicated.

1. Bard/Dualist X (face character)
    2. Rogue 3/Illusionist 3/Arcane Trickster X
    3. Evoker 1/ Ranger 2/Arcane Archer X
    4. Conjurer 5/Druid 5/Mystic Theurge X
    5. Fighter 1/Mage ?/Eldrich Knight X

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  3. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Doing well with

Half-Elf Rogue/Assassin
    Half-Elf Sorc/Druid/Mystic Theurge
    Half-elf Ranger/Sorc/ Arcane Archer
    Half-Orc Barbarian/Favored soul
    Dwarven Cleric/wizard Theurge
    Dwarve Fighter/Ranger/Defender Dual Dwarven War axes (The Juggernaut bounced off him allowing the Enlarged,Enraged Barbarian with Glaive and ranged fire from everyone else to DESTROY the Water Temple forces)

4. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I did Rogue --> Assassin; Fighter --> Dwarven defender; Cleric/ Wiz --> Theurge; Wiz --> Fighter1--> Eldritch Knight
    It went okay, with the main issue early on being that dropping cleric progression after 3rd level leaves you reliant on scrolls and potions for healing, rather than Cure spells. Apart from that, it was like running any other party through the Moathouse and early Temple/ Nulb, since my branching off to prestige classes was delayed until 7th level (the downside of this for me is that my PCs have got their 'feel' by that stage, and it's difficult subsequently to switch, particularly for the wizard who is suddenly taking up his rapier and joining combat).
    Currently running a Favoured Soul and an Arcane Archer.

5. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

ummmmm.... PRESTIGE CLASSES?????!! when did this happen??! HAVE I BEEN AWAY THAT LONG? :D

6. Allyx

Not really, Temple plus was only released about a year or so ago, you will need to download and install it to get access to prestige classes.

The Icewind Dale total conversion mod is also (mostly) compatible with Temple plus too.

7. BrotherSmythe

Wow. You jumped right in. Did using six characters spread the experience a little thin? Did you have to farm for experience a little? No shame there. I sometimes do it to fully experience my chosen professions. I see that you did not go with a light weapon in your off hand for the Dwarven Defender. Always a difficult choice with a dual weilder. I usually try to 'go light' in my off hand. If you hit most of the time perhaps it is not necessary.
    Good show anyway.

8. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

A little xp farming and squatting is needed for 6 with tactical re-adjustments for not having higher level spells. Favored Soul being available early helps (the Barbarian can self-buff;)). Dual Dwarven Waraxes for a Dwarf is a Role-playing thing(the 18 str on that character helps too:D) since they are a racial weapon and Dwarves are proficient with then REGARDLESS of class.

9. BrotherSmythe

Good point about the Dwarven Waraxe. BTW I found that the sharp cleaver uses the hand axe profeciency which means that you can use the cleaver in your good hand and a hand axe (light) in your offhand and they would use the same proficiencies and feats. You would lessen your penalties. For non dwarves of course.

10. BrotherSmythe

I limited myself to four pc's to maximize experience but still have a variety:

Fighter---Dwarven Defender
    Rogue/fighter---Duelist
    Wizard/fighter---Arcane Archer
    Cleric/wizard---Mystic Theurge

I'll take 8 levels of fighter before converting to Dwarven Defender
    Taking 4 levels of fighter and x levels of rogue for my Duelist.
    4 levels of fighter and x levels of wizard for my Arcane Archer.
    5 levels of Cleric? and x levels of wizard for my Mystic Theurge.

Having fun even though I haven't reached Prestige country yet.

11. BrotherSmythe

Prestige classes are actually pretty fun as well as possessing a distinctive character. I very much enjoy this party. They offer a goodly amount of options for a situation.

I have noticed,however, that my Mystic Theurge and Arcane Archer get new wizard spells as if they advanced in wizard levels. For example i took another level in Arcane Archer and got level three spells whereas i only had level two spells at my last wizard level. Is this a glitch. I'm not complaining but I was under the impression that you would not gain next level wizard spells if you advanced as Arcane Archer or Mystic Theurge.

12. Allyx

13. BrotherSmythe

It mentions spells per day and caster level for Mystic Theurge. It seems a little vague on new spells gained at higher levels, at least the way that i read it.
    It would appear that we are using pathfinder rules for AA. I find that perfectly acceptable.

14. Allyx

If your Divine spellcasting class before taking Mystic Theurge was Cleric, you gain the spells, and spell slots a Cleric of your new adjusted level would normally...

Thus a Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 2 should have access to 3rd level Cleric Spells as if he were a 5th level Cleric, similarly the same character should also have access to 3rd level Wizard spells.

The downside with this build is that at 16th level (Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 10) the character would have to revert back to a basic class or alternative prestige class and only be able to cast at best 8th level Cleric or Wizard spells, but for ToEE this isn't as much of an issue.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  15. BrotherSmythe

So the Mystic Theurge in your scenario would cast as a 17th th level cleric AND a 17th level wizard? He would only sacrifice some of the special abilities of the other two classes? Sounds almost too good. Over powered? Or am i reading too much into it?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
Our Host!