Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

No, just tested it again: With bear, day or night, no ambush,dismiss bear next time I enter the house ambush starts right away.
    I think the game must somehow subtract the bear level from your party average level.
    It's probably a bug not a really fundamental one but one that you should know about. Maybe if Gazra reads this he could consider adding a small hint in the walkthrough about this, like: You get a fully equiped house but a little sign says: No pets allowed

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

Just started again in TOEE Co8 8.1.0. Just finished the Moathouse and had something really funny happen. I grabbed my closest fighter type (my ranger) and quickly moved him to Turuko. I got into a conversation with him before the final battle conversation started. It changed things to that I had cleared the moathouse and such. At one point, I could actually ask Turuko where he was from and about Kobort. Is this a problem or just leftovers?

3. Blomdor

Blomdor Member

Yoho er'body. Have been having an immensely good time with Co8 so far and did not encounter much greater bugginess from the game than is to be expected from ToEE generally up until Verbobonc, but a few issues have cropped up since then. Nothing game-breaking really, but bothersome enough to encourage me to join up here and post about them.

The new summon spells usually work just fine; however, one djinni in particular once decided that spell durations were for chumps and never disappeared with the passing of time. Furthermore, he could not be selected via clicking with the mouse, and AoE spells directed towards him had no effect, as if he was not actually there at all. I even tried talking to Jaroo as if it were a lingering spell effect, with no luck. However, enemies could still target him, and provoke attacks of opportunity from him in combat. I eventually had some bugbears execute him for me out of necessity. Very strange.

The chain lightning spell appears to have a nasty habit of crashing the game. Unfortunate, as it's a great damage spell. It's possible that it's just ToEE being somewhat unstable as usual - random crashes to the desktop have always been an occasional issue for me in the game, with or without mods. It does seem to cause it more often than usual, however.

The encounter with Bethany the ranger was a bit problematic. Traveling to Hickory Branch immediately after talking to her would always cause a crash to the desktop, as would saving the game. The save appears to go through, however, and when I reload I can proceed as normal. Strange.

My polar bear companion once rather humorously got stuck in a pillar on the ground floor of the Temple proper, forcing a reload.

EDIT: I just remembered another minor issue with the animal companion - once, when it had been paralyzed, the effect lingered permanently and it remained entirely useless in combat until I dismissed it and summoned it again. The Remove Paralysis spell had no effect whatsoever.

In a few areas, the game would stutter quite severely while scrolling around the map, and occasionally even lock up entirely. Unsurprisingly, the Fire Node was one of them, but the area around Hendrack's four chests guarded by various fungi on Temple level four was also a problem in this regard.

One last thing that has been pestering me is that certain characters - for some reason it's always either my cleric or my druid - sometimes become very oddly stuck. They become suddenly unable to perform any actions at all. In combat, attempting to move them will drain the...action meter? (whatever its proper name is), but nothing happens. Trying to cast spells sometimes brings up a "not enough time" message. It happens seemingly at random, usually just after a reload. The only ways to reverse it that I've found are to restart the game or tell the character to sneak; for some reason, that one command works when all else doesn't and unfailingly breaks them free from whatever the issue is.

Other than all that, the game's been fairly well behaved, and the new content is wonderful. Thank you, ye devs.

4. messedup

5. Blomdor

Blomdor Member

Ah. Thankee! Seems I've rambled needlessly about some well-known issues then. Sorry about that.

Further animal companion weirdness: I found Gaston the polar bear in the middle of Hickory Branch, near death but alive and no longer actually in my party. This was after I had seen him die in combat against the stone giants there. I healed him, gave him a petting, and moved on.

6. Blomdor

Blomdor Member

Apologies for the double post, but I have a bit of a problem here...how do I trigger the War of the Golden Skull quest? The walkthrough claims that it's Wilfrick's third quest, but I've done his other tasks and just about everything else there is to do in Verbobonc, yet he seems to have nothing to say to me now, nor does he send any more notices.

EDIT: With a bit of digging, I figured out how to spawn the correct written notice to trigger the dialogue from Wilfrick. Hopefully, this last quest will now proceed as normal, provided the console doesn't bug my game out. I've had to use it quite a few times during this final stretch of the new content for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. messedup

To get the War of the Golden Skull (I have done it many times) you have to get the notice from the guide post in Verbobonc. That will tell you to go to Wilfrick. I have gotten it each time. I have also done other things before getting it. If it is on the sign post, then you can wait to pick it up. I have only used the console when merchants haven't updated like they should have.

8. Blomdor

Blomdor Member

I never got another notice from him after dealing with the slavers. Checked repeatedly, but no luck. Wilfrick just quit sending any mail after that for whatever reason. The slavers quest did register as being completed, so I don't know what happened there. I've encountered no further problems since then; crossing my fingers that the console caused no issues.

9. messedup

Did you go back and get the stuff? I don't know if that is the problem but when the slavers are all killed, you get thrown to the constable. I then get the items they left. Then I check the sign post. I didn't put it in so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

10. Blomdor

Blomdor Member

Indeed I did. Strange!

11. messedup

I just did an upgrade on my computer to windows 7 from window 10 1607. I did some troubleshooting Co8 8.1.0 new content. First (haven't gone very far) it seems you have to save and have a fail to get the money to reset. I also got the scroll chest to reset but in previous go through, it was an armor chest that reset. I did have a problem with my version. it kept wanting me to put the play disc in so I purchased it ($5.99) from GOG. Then I got an error and I had to read the error really well. I am now running it under administrator and I have updated all the previous bugs.

I am just trying to help people and if my little troubleshooting can help...enjoy it.

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I'm certain Microsoft don't consider going from Windows 10 to Windows 7 as an upgrade, but I'm sure there are plenty of others that would. :D

sigofmugmort likes this.
  13. messedup

It at least works now without having all the circles go around for hours.

14. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I don't know how many times I had to forcibly stop Windows 7 from auto-updating to 10 on me... so glad I never let it.

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Including that blatantly shady "leave this box blank to not deselect the upgrade" ploy? :rolleyes:

Our Host!