NPC protos issues

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Basil the Timid, Oct 16, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Two Swords dlg file - calls on 2nd level Brother Fist's protos number instead of 3rd level Brother Fist causing them to be unrecruitable at the Kobold Lair. [Edit] I still can't recruit them. I have a 2 PC max party (changed TFE-X config file to 2) plus four NPCs and an animal companion (irrelevant).

Angela should only have one feat at 2nd level and it cannot be Exotic Weapon Proficiency since she did not have BAB+1 at 1st level. IMHO point blank shot would be much better.

It appears that Brother Fist does not have his 2nd level monk feat.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Basil, I'll get on those. I certainly tested the Kobold Cave scenario but that is a good example of something that will throw up game-play bugs the testers don't foresee.

Angela's backstory - a bard embedded with the military - explains any funky feat scenarios. I follow in EGG's philosophy regarding NPCs in that manner. (Also keep in mind that if I give Angela PBS - which she certainly needs - she will simply get that benefit and get NO downside from using an exotic weapon without a proficiency, since the -4 penalty only applies to PCs, not NPCs, due to an exploit).

Brother Fist sounds like an oversight, I'll fix him too.

3. Basil the Timid

Ok. I have tested the Two-swords issue again. I have to get rid of Reynard first and drop my party down to 2 PC s+ 3 NPCs. Her dlg file says <= 6 so I don't know what the problem is. By changing the config file to 2 PC max, I tested that I cannot recruit a new PC from the noticeboard. Wouldn't that mean I have 6 NPC slots? The party size with Reynard was only 6.

Also, a very weird thing from my perspective is that Two-swords cave dialog calls on 14104 2nd level Brother Fist, but when they are recruited it is the 3rd level Brother Fist.

4. Shiningted

Well, thanks for testing that, sounds like there is still a bug there somewhere. Can't say off the top of my head as it's a long time since I did that bit.

Re the NPC slots - I found in the past you have to start a new game to change your PC / NPC preferences, that may or may not be the case.

If you do the Dwarf quests ("get me a mattock" and such) can you confirm if they work? I have had no feedback on that either way.

5. Basil the Timid

Since my party did not recruit Korrac in the beginning, we never had the opportunity to do the dwarf quests.

I was changing the dlg files for Two-Swords and something went awry. Either her dialog screen appears blank or only numbers show - the latter if I talk to Brother Fist first. Strange, but I am hoping someone can send me an new dlg file for Two-Swords and I'll get back on it.

Thanks

6. Shiningted

Okay... apparently you can't upload dlg files directly. Heh. Have a zip.

And I don't want to know what you are making her say.

Attached Files:

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Fixed that, sorry.

8. Basil the Timid

Thanks @Ted. I finally got Two Swords and Brother Fist in my party using her original file. My 2 PC party (and limited as such since I cannot add another PC) together with 4NPCs could only recruit the two once I dismissed the animal companion and the rescued man-at-arms. This is very strange indeed that the followers are being counted when they shouldn't be.

9. Shiningted

Thanks Basil. I'll look at the files, I can tinhk of a simple reason that may happen but hope i am not so silly as to have done it.

EDIT: No, the line in question says, 'game.party_size() <= 6' which should not count the animal companion or man-at-arms if he is an ai_follower which for memory he is. Weird. Did you have problems immediately when discussing joining or after she said, "Brother Fist comes too"?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  10. Basil the Timid

I only have the problem after she asks if BF can come too. I even tested this with 2PCs, 4 NPCs, and 4 followers.

11. Shiningted

Well I will try to replicate it but it's weird, yeah, they shouldn't cause a problem.

Our Host!