Dual-wield light crossbows

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by SwingBlade, Sep 8, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

This is a thing, right? You can dual-wield light crossbows if you have rapid reload? I'm guessing it's not a thing approached by ToEE, or maybe there's a rules technicality that prevents it?

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'm having a hard time imaging reloading two crossbows at once, light or otherwise (and reloading one after the other isn't quite the same thing...).

3. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

This is an 18th-level bard with a 22 Dex. I'd imagine it'd be pretty entertaining to see. :p

4. florian1

florian1 Established Member

He'd toss one into the air, quick load the other, and launch it into the air just in time to catch the first.....

5. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

With her perform check, enemies would toss silver into her mandolin case.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Dual wielding repeating crossbows perhaps, you'd have to be a large creature, but I'd imagine the rules state that heavy, light and repeating crossbows are all two handed weapons for medium sized characters, hand crossbows however are smaller still, which suggests it's possible but sadly they are not 'repeating' and reloading either while holding both is not feasible IMO.

7. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I was able to equip a second Repeating Crossbow and also get an extra attack with it by removing the flag OIF_WEAR_2HAND_REQUIRED in the proto. No other changes were required.

Normal two-weapon fighting penalties apply such as the -6/-10 penalty, and the off-hand weapon not being light. Two-Weapon feat reduced the penalty as normal. So basically it thinks you are wielding melee weapons in terms of to-hit bonuses.

This does not work with a regular Light Crossbow, even with Rapid Reload it limits you to one attack.

From PHB: "You can fire a repeating crossbow with one hand or fire a repeating crossbow in each hand in the same manner as you would a
    normal crossbow of the same size."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

I could swear I've seen builds that take advantage of light crossbows and rapid reload. Oh well.

With RR and repeating crossbows, I'm guessing it'd be a full round to reload both at once? And since my bard would have three attacks, plus rapid shot and haste, would be machine-gunning 10 bolts a round and reloading every other?

9. marc1967

Rapid Reload work just fine with a Light Crossbow, just not if you are wielding two of them with the change I described.

In TOEE, Repeating Crossbows never need reloading. There are no bolt cases. It just ignores the reload action at all times for that weapon.

You would get 6 shots every turn, and never need to reload, even without Rapid Reload:

3 for the Bards normal attacks
    1 for rapid shot
    1 for haste
    1 for the off-hand weapon​

Keep in mind that unless you also have the Two-Weapon Fighting Feat, you're going to take the -6/-10 penalty on all shots. And even if you DO have it, each shot will be at -4 since the off-hand weapon is not light. So I'm not sure it if is worth it all for just one extra shot. Looks cool in the game though. :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

I had planned to spec GTWF to begin with. Does speed enchant on each weapon give them their own?

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You'd think with all the drow you kill helping out the gnomes that one of them would drop their Drow Hand Crossbow.[​IMG]

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Dual wielding repeaters sounds awesome, but without the 2-handed flag I suspect you run the risk of players equipping a shield, which would be wrong.

13. marc1967

This guy doesn't see the problem...

crossbow and shield.jpg

I guess the part people forget its that a repeating crossbow is not like an automatic weapon, but you need to hit the reload lever after each shot with the other hand. Even though this is a free action, the second hand must still be available for activating this lever.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  14. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Member

I've tried using double repeating crossbows on rogue/assassin, with Improved TWF and rapid shot, but still only gained one attack from secondary weapon. I doubt speed enchantment on both crossbows will help (it doesn't stack, right?). Also, on secondary crossbow it shows bonus to attack from strength, not dexterity. Looks like it's better to use only one ranged weapon (probably composite bow) after all - a pity, because dual wielding crossbows looks so badass!

15. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

My experience has been that a SLING - yes, a humble, lowly(?) sling - is the best range weapon because its ammo does BLUNT damage and it adds your STR MODIFIER to DAMAGE! Have a +1 STR mod? That applies. Have a +10 STR mod? That also applies! No need for different weapons!

Alleluia!

Our Host!