Crafting fun with NPCs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BrotherSmythe, Sep 6, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

I have Ronald,Meleny and Spugnoir in my party and am roughly 4th level. I'm having trouble deciding which crafting feats to give them. More specifically who gets craft wonderous item for gloves of dex,belt of giant strength,amulet of natural armor, Amulet of constitution etc? Ronald could do well with Craft arms and armor but doesn't have a prerequisite for ice damage?

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ronald can create gauntlets of strength and amulet of health, but I think you'll need a Druid to craft an amulet of natural armor. Gloves of dexterity require the cats grace spell so Spuggy has that chore.

It really comes down to which NPC can learn or has the appropriate spell to craft an item, or add an enchantment to a piece of equipment.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Good Day Brother. I will confess I have never taken Ronald and Spugnoir, but I think you might find my advise helpful. I usually run with a PC Mage, PC Cleric and Meleny for my casters. All my casters will have Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Arms and Armor, that way the experience point cost of crafting is evenly divided, so one character doesn't end up a level behind everyone else due to crafting several items. I like to have either a human cleric of Heironeous or an Elvin Cleric of Corellon Larethian, but any Cleric of a Good deity will do. Just make sure to select the "Good" domain so you can craft "Holy" weapons. Ronald might be able to craft "Axiomatic" ( aka "Lawful" ) weapons which will probably work just as well as holy ( most of the monsters / Temple Troops are Chaotic Evil ). At some point give Spugnoir "Craft Wands" and you should be set.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I am a massive fan of crafting on ToEE, many of my early mods expanded the crafting options available massively, anyone that's been hanging out here for the last 13 years will know that.

Splitting your crafting duties is a good idea to keep character levels within the group even, I usually only take scribe scroll with wizards, Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Wand and Craft Arms and Armour for both Wizard and Cleric/Druid The Wizard gets Rods, and Rings alone, so the Cleric/Druid can get a few more combat or metamagic related feats.

Magic item descriptions and crafting requirements can be found on the D20SRD http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm
    Though not everything on the SRD is in ToEE.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. sirchet

The XP cost of crafting has been a bane to my gaming ever since the beginning. I just can't wrap my head around how crafting an item could make the crafter less experienced at, well .... crafting items. I know it's a game mechanic devised to reduce over powered characters, but over powered characters still seem to crop up. ;)

So, in my games where sirchet is the highest Deity, experience spent crafting is promptly refunded to the faithful.

All hale sirchet, a vengeful and cruel Deity .... but fair. Mwahahahahahah!

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

You could go back to the old 2E days and instead of charging XP for creating items have the wizard imbue their permanent magical items with part of their life force and substract 1 of their constitution score for every permanent item crafted...

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Or you could just play Pathfinder. Magic item creation only takes gold pieces.

8. sirchet

Or, I can have my cake and eat it too thanks to game.party[x].award_experience(xxxx) :p

9. BrotherSmythe

Good idea

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Welcome back TRC!

11. BrotherSmythe

Craft wands? Been meaning to try it.

12. BrotherSmythe

It looks as if most of you like to give each caster multiple crafting feats. I'm normally a bit more stingy with them by only giving each caster one crafting. It appears ,however, that I may have to give them at least two each. That would be fun. Very well,so be it. As usual you guys are Awsome-o.

13. BrotherSmythe

Great link. Thanks.

Our Host!