My current game has issues with secret doors.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by CyrusSpitama, May 26, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. CyrusSpitama

CyrusSpitama Member

Not sure if this is a bug or just a level/skill issue but, neither my rogue nor ranger can detect secret doors properly. I mean to test this further to see if I can get them to show. Currently, the issue lie with all the secret doors except the one on the outside of the Moathouse ( this is as far as I have recently re-started). I have visited Jaroo and talked him with both the ranger and the rogue. All this has done was display the one secret door on the outside of the moathouse. I know where the others are as I had started another party and got this far also.

Question: Shouldn't using the active search skill do an additional check for secret doors or is it an issue with one attempt until I level again?

Edit: After further playtime and levels, more of these doors are visible yet, the previous run I had less skill points and it showed all these doors (now up to spot and search 12 with adjustments). Weird. Is the DC a random seed number?

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Once the game has the hidden door bug, all hidden doors are affected and you wont be able to see any for the whole game.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The Jaroo routine is a workaround that forces specific doors to appear. Should cover all the critical ones but not all of them.

4. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Do we actually know what the cause of that is and have fixed it in TP, Sitra?

5. Sitra Achara

It's fixed in Temple+, IIRC it was due to a problem with the internal "already seen" name list.

6. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Ah yes i remember something like that

7. CyrusSpitama

CyrusSpitama Member

Thanks for the responses. It is clear to me getting to the Temple now that secret doors are still an issue for me. That is a sad thing to know. As an aside, does this mean I can stop spending skill points on search? lol !

8. Sitra Achara

Oh, another thing - IIRC if you teleported into a map, it would force secret doors to appear. This effect should be achieved by using the Temple Map to enter an area with secret doors.

9. CyrusSpitama

CyrusSpitama Member

Is the trigger known for this secret door bug? I started another party with different mix of classes/duel classes. Got to Moathouse around lvl 2 and nearing lvl 4 now. Still no secret doors to be found by my newly minted elf rogue/wiz. No other party members have trained in spot or search... Wish I could know what the trigger is so I can avoid it...

Alternatively, would using the detect secret doors spell help counter this issue? I planned to learn this spell with my next lvl because I decided my elf rogue would dual as wiz ( max lvl 3 and wiz avoids the multi class penalty for elves). I have avoided this spell in previous starts and I am in no mood to start yet another party. In fact, testing this current party makeup I sense a little weakness in pure melee, but excellent ranged/spell usage.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I could have sworn that the DC for detect secret doors had been considerably nerfed in order to elieviate this problem.

11. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I just re ran into the secret door bug again. it's been years since i've played TOEE but have the "bug" again.
    I u finish killing zuggtmoy, and then create another game, the experience points from the previous battle when you kill zugtmoy will be assigned to your new party.
    however, forget using secret doors when this happens.\
    i've tried it twice and both times no secret doors appear.
    i'll have to try the teleportation thing, but that doesn't help in the moathous.
    secret doors i nthe temple are a big deal and really needed for communicating with kELNO AND using the stair case through to the 3rd level
    also, nailing the evil wizard on the bottom level can't really be done unless you mop the floor with all the bugbears after you pass the3 4 trolls

Our Host!