Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. ineth

ineth Member

The original Icewind Dale didn't have a Bag of Holding in the non-expansion part of the game world.

But Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition added one to Orrick's Store in Kuldahar. Here are the relevant filenames in case you want to check it out in NearInfinity:
    ORRICK.CRE = Orrick
    DORRICK.DLG = Orrick's dialog tree (which opens the store interface)
    KUORK0.STO = Orrick's store
    BAGH03.ITM = Bag of Holding

The bag doesn't come cheaply though. When you first arrive at Kuldahar, you will only have a fraction of the money needed to buy it.
    I think you can afford it at the end of chapter 1 (after clearing two dungeons), provided that you hauled back and sold all of the good loot from those dungeons.
    But there are many other powerful expensive items to buy in Kulduahar (including some some unique magical weapons), and you will only ever be able to afford a handful of them. So not all players might choose to buy the bag.

(Also, its capacity is not infinite, though I don't know how large exactly it is.)

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Does the BoH affect gameplay or is it just a matter of convenience? E.g. do unlooted items disappear after map change / passage of time? Are there areas you can't go back to loot?

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That is good to know, ToEE doesn't have an actual bag of holding, though there are references to them in the games files, none were ever working in game.

The closest we have is the extraplanar chest which also isn't cheap, has certain quirks to it (must remember to send it back to the ethereal plane after loading it up or emptying it out), and cannot retain player made enchantments on charged items, magical armor and weapons, but does work great for carting masses of loot out of dungeons easier.

4. ineth

ineth Member

I think items can disappear when they're on the ground, but not when they're inside containers like chests/shelves.

Personally I haven't tested that kind of stuff much though, because I'm too lazy to go back to an empty dungeon just for loot.
    I carry what I can, and when my inventory is full I drop cheaper items in favor of more valuable ones.
    I know some players go full OCD though, making multiple trips to haul back every last buckler and helmet (even though they sell for 1 GP each, which is basically worthless when the store items you're saving up for cost four to five figures).

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Allyx wants every last copper from every worn leather boot, it's why the extraplanar chest was made in the first place.

Working on the dlg converter now.

Love those slides Al :)

6. Allyx

Cheers Ted... apart from the chapter 3 one which had to be edited... they were just screenshots from youtube resized and cropped to fit. ;)

Since the buttons at the bottom to end/replay won't work, they have now been removed for the final version.

EDIT: Also managed to get the world map icons working for the various areas, though they've not been moved into correct positions yet. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  7. Allyx

Regarding the World map, we're going to have to disable the world map buttons for Hommlet and the Moathouse as Hommlet isn't being used at all, and the Moathouse is currently being used for Easthaven... Any pointers as to how to do that?

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hm, I'd suggest you not do that, being as IIRC Hommlet operates a bit differently than the other locations. (Something to do with being auto-known and sort of the World Map hub. .dll thing I think. Best not to mess with that kind of stuff.)

Re: the slides, Al, I'd suggest that you make them all the exact size and aspect ratio of the existing ones I did in the modpack. Advantage being that those things can be distorted in all manner of ways depending on the user's scaling settings, so a reliable baseline size that you know will fit everyone and not look distorted is the way to go.

9. Allyx

Re: Slides, that's just what I did. 800 x 500 pixels, like all the others, it actually cropped to the right sized by just removing the black border at the top, and the stone panelling bit at the bottom, so there was no stretching or squashing involved.

Does KotB use all three of the Hommlet map locations? I guess I could make the Kuldahar map the "Hommlet" map, all of the other maps (except the Kuldahar pass map) would be like the shopmap and vignette maps, - no world map access.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  10. Shiningted

Yes it does, here's the .dll locations for the x,y arrivals.
    locations.jpg
    I totally agree with that. Things like 'Worldmap_travel_to_by_dialogue()' always go from the Hommlet main map, possibly other things do too, so I'd incorporate it. Better safe than sorry.

11. Shiningted

Al - those dlg files I mentioned, I'll post those tomorrow.

Currently renewing my hatred of VisualStudio. Ahh, it's been a while...

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I'd think 18/98 would translate to 20 actually (+2/+5 to +5/+5 vs. +6/+6 at 22)...

13. Allyx

Either way in 3.5 ed humans can't have more than 18 strength at first level, unless one of their parents was an Orc.

14. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Balance wise 18 is fine. +4/+4 vs +3/+6 from 2e 18/00 is really a matter of power attack feat. The 2 editions are so different it's better to just balance on 3.5 rather than try to give bonuses to make up for an outdated mechanic.

15. Allyx

Given that Beserker is no longer a supported class, he would become a Barbarian anyway and have the ability to temporarily raise his 18 strength to 22 for a limited time, on balance it works out ok.

Our Host!