Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks guys. Note I am only doing sectoring at this point but we certainly need all that info.

Traps are an interesting one - since this look like the BG way of doing traps (which I've always loved) I have put a lot of thought into that in the past and am confident we can come up with something appropriate using the existing ToEE engine.

EDIT: Yes I'll get NearInfinity at some point ;)

2nd Edit: Ninjad by Allyx!

Al, what did you have in mind for the dlg? If you can do a converter that would be great, but since no-one else is putting their hand up for it, I was thinking of dusting off VisualC++ and having a crack at making one, presumably while you convert protos and make mobs. I don't think we can do a simple proto-converting tool because they have to be converted to 3.5 as well as to ToEE.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

As ToEE allows passing through bodies of water, like those pools in the Orc cave, should those sections allow PC's to pass through them? Icewind Dale itself makes players walk around them, but I'm more inclined to allow players to wade through them, mostly because the ToEE engine can. :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. Allyx

Yeah, Protos we can do as and when we need them for NPC's, monsters should be already in ToEE/KotB's Protos.tabs for the most part. I wouldn't know how to make a dialogue conversion tool, but I figure the scripting languages look similar enough to swap one bit of IE code to ToEE code.

4. Shiningted

Actually, I already made those pools wade through :oops: I think it's worth it to show off the ToEE engine where we can, and we can change it if there is general uproar.

Can I ask what the plan is for the first release, size / scale-wise? Just Easthaven and an Orc Cave seems not much, but how much of further into the game for the first release?

EDIT: I have the latest version of the cursors but I don't see any change when I am over a door, is that right? Otherwise, running around with those cursors, door icons etc is really trippy :cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  5. ineth

ineth Member

Be sure to get the updated NearInfinity by Argent77.

The download pages that come up as the top Google search results for "NearInfinity", give you an outdated version that won't work correctly with the Enhanced Edition of the game.

The mouse cursor in the Infinity Engine games changes to the corresponding door, map, or staircase icon when you move it over a door or travel region:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

No icon is shown on the door or travel region while the cursor isn't on top of it.

6. Allyx

ToEE however has non-changing cursor icons when you hover over interactive map icons, since I simply made new IWD icons in place of existing ToEE icons, unfortunately they won't change the cursor when hovering over the map icons.

So moving the IWD style Gloved hand cursor onto an IWD style Door icon will show both the hand and the door, not the open door icon from IWD itself.

Only a few of the Icons I made, are exactly as they are in IWD, most are ToEE stylized versions of IWD icons. The arrow and wand icons are taken from item icons for instance, and the INVALID versions of those icons have a ToEE style red crossed out circle on them, likewise the map flag icon is a mix of the two styles.

It 'may' be possible to add those other hovering icons with temple+, but Sitra Achura would have to put in the work for it as I wouldn't know how.

I was thinking of just getting the prologue completed and putting that out, making a kind of demo release of it, then starting on the next chapter etc etc...

Releasing a playable demo version in this way may help to drum up interest from people wanting to assist in creating the rest of the game.

7. Shiningted

Yeah, that sounds like the sort of additional bells &/or whistles perfect for Temple+ but not something we have to worry about. An additional IWD icon for the 'hand' that appears over usuable things would come in handly though. (Or is that already there? Not sure now that I think of it).

Sounds like a plan :) So the 'prologue' is Easthaven and it's Orc problem I take it (just to make sure)?

8. Allyx

Yep, the prologue is just the maps you already have Ted.

I changed the default (blue arrow) to the pointing hand cursor, as ToEE doesn't have a second icon for looting, the hand holding the ring doesn't get a look in, on the town map however, grabbing the map to scroll around will see the cursor change to a closed hand cursor.

I also used IWD art for as many icons and cursors as I could, adapted where necessary to reflect both games.

As far as highlighting useful things goes, isn't that what the tab key is for? ;)

9. argikt

argikt Member

Wow!! looks like a very interesting project, the worst part of Icewind, is that is a linear game, but I really would like to see it, recreated in ToEE engine...

Wish u luck!!

10. ineth

ineth Member

Technically, Chapter 1 starts when you first enter Kuldahar, as that is when the chapter 1 intro slide (painting + scrolling text) plays.
    So Kuldahar Pass and its side areas would still be considered part of the prologue.

However, you can return to Kuldahar Pass in chapter 1 any time you wish via the world map, whereas Easthaven not accessible from the world map.

So Easthaven is a more self-contained logical unit, and there's nothing wrong with restricting the first release of the total conversion, to that.

11. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I'd say the worst part of IWD is its trash combat system, RTWP is awful for CRPG's. And thanks to these great people remaking it in ToEE, that one thing will be fixed and perfected with ToEE's amazing combat and ruleset implementation.

12. Shiningted

Almost finished, just did the chimney effects and waypoints for the main map. I've got work the next couple days but will certainly be able to upload later in the weekend.

2 quick questions:

- what's with the Orc Cave's lighting? There are certainly areas (other than the 3 lampstands) where light seems to be emanating, but nothing on the walls (no torch sconces etc)

- are any of the maps meant to have weather effects (rain or snow)? Probably not much we can do, but you never know...

EDIT: Saw your hand (so to speak) on the townmaps Al, very nice :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  13. ineth

ineth Member

There are lots of little wall torches, they look like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's a screenshot from the NearInfinity area viewer showing the locations of all background animations:
    [​IMG]

In outdoor areas, it sometimes rains or snows. I think it occurs randomly.
    I don't think there is any map that always has a weather effect, so it's not required.

GuardianAngel82 likes this.
  14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

ToEE can do rain and snow, after a fashion. Check out the Scarlet Brotherhood ambush encounters I did on RE maps for specs. (I think it rains on the river road and snows in the forest.)

They're just particle effects.

15. Shiningted

Heh, I've done that encounter (loved it, Spugnoir was on the edge of death throughout and a real challenge to survive) and I don't remember that. O well. Hours of hard work for something that went unnoticed - the life of a modder ;)

That map's awesome @ineth, thanks. So I have to supply the torch model as well as the flame and the lighting? I can do that :)

Our Host!