Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If you're thinking of a 360 degree photo for the scrolling background, it doesn't work that way - just scrolls left to right for the 2D width of the graphics and starts over when it gets to the end. To best understand that, use WorldEd to open up the 'ShopMaps' map in KotB.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The text on the main menu is done as just a tga image for memory - many many years since I did it.

The ToEE main menu font is 'scurlock' if you want to match it as KotB did, although you may want to use and IWD-ey font.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It's also possible to ditch the scrolling altogether if you're interested...

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That might be a more viable option, the original IWD menu screen doesn't scroll afterall.

Well, fingers crossed, this laptop has successfully fully patched up to the latest version of Windows 7 now, so I can start putting this prologue chapter back together again and start working on the dialogues, UI alterations, narrated scenes etc...

5. Gaear

Isn't MIcrosoft pushing Windows 10 at you over there? They've basically forced it on everyone in the US who's running a Windows 7 system or higher.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

You can prevent the scrolling by changing offset 0x60B9 from "2B C8" to "90 90". However there's an issue with that - the horizontal extent of the displayed image will depend on the resolution. This is because the vertical dimension gets stretched to fit, and the horizontal extent is then adjusted to scale, which will yield different horizontal extents for different aspect ratios. You may be able to pad the background though. Or just preserve the scrolling...

7. Allyx

Yeah I get the "Get Windows 10" icon bit, and I did upgrade for 3 of the 4 PC's in the house (My dead desktop, My Fiance's desktop, and her Son's desktop), but when I tried upgrading this laptop to Windows 10, many components ceased to function as the drivers were not working correctly, critically the Network Card and WiFi refused to work... Additionally a number of my older games refused to run or install on windows 10 as Windows 10 considers DRM security software as a security risk in itself... *sigh*

We are being offered Win 10 for free for all owners running win 7, 8 and 8.1, but that offer expires in November IIRC and after that we would have to pay full price for it if we plan to upgrade thereafter.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Established Member Administrator

For me it says the free upgrade is only available until July 29, 2016. I just checked and it conveniently scheduled my upgrade in 3 days. It just forgot to tell me about it! :D

But I'm just going to go ahead with it anyway, I like W10 more than unmodded W8.1.

9. Gaear

Was a nightmare for me on my laptop and my dad's PC. On mine, they installed it all (over like an hour) and then I discovered that my installation wasn't "authorized" so they inhibited a bunch of stuff and said I had to contact tech support. I did and they wanted me to do all kinds of crazy shit like take photos of my serial numbers and send them to them etc., and eventually I just said "authorize my installation in the next 5 minutes or I'm reverting and I'll never buy another Microsoft product again." (My rationale being that they didn't offer any of the headaches, just the free software.) They didn't bite so I did just that, however when I tried it a second time a month later or so, it worked like a charm.

For my dad's PC, they installed the package and then at the very end reverted the entire thing themselves, and didn't even say why, other than something like "there was an error." So I did some research of my own and found there was some hangup with managing user identities on Win7 systems, changed that, and did it again and it worked.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Established Member Administrator

Ugh, here's hoping it goes smoothly here. :eek:

11. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

So since I am only following this on and off. Are you actually targetting TemplePlus with this, or "vanilla" ToEE too?

If you target TP, several things can be added to TP to make your life easier. I.e. not having to patch the DLL to stop the main menu from scrolling :p

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

More than half of the Easthaven maps sectored, and doing the main Easthaven map now. I have to ask, is there any intent to fog this when you first arrive? It will make it that much harder to sector, but if it was fogged in the original I'll give it a go.

13. Allyx

It is fogged un the original unfortunately mate, thanks for helping with the sectoring, I have tried world ed, and can't get it to work for more than 5 seconds without crashing.

As for the scrolling menu, I don't know yet, if I can make a scrolling thing that's fine, if not, I'll borrow KotB's or keep ToEE's either way. I do want to change the text though obviously, I'll play around with it and try to get that working.

14. Allyx

I'm unsure what you mean about targetting temple+ or vanilla, I assume it has to do with where I'm putting my modded files? If that's the case the vanilla way is how I have done it so far. I don't know enough about modding with temple+ to confidently do so without mucking something else up.

15. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

I meant if you want to make it compatible or make it outright require Temple+. The main menu scrolling for example could just be solved via a code changes in Temple+.

Our Host!