XenForo Forum Software - Post Here

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Gaear, Apr 23, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

As you can see, as of 4/23/2016, Co8 is now running the updated XenForo forum software. We'll be changing things gradually to more resemble the look we were used to with the old Co8 Obsidian skin, so please be patient and bear with us as that happens.

If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to post them here. We hope you enjoy the new experience. :)

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Oooh shiney!

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Established Member Administrator

I've gone through some of the settings and made it a bit closer to vB now.

Gaear likes this.
  4. Gaear

Neat - we now have likes.

5. Taluntain

Another very useful feature is @ tagging, e.g. @Gaear to bring the attention of someone to a specific post.

6. Gaear

FYI, the wacky white elements you see right now won't be staying. Again, please just bear with us. ;)

7. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I like the new look so far but it's hard to see the black on grey fonts- is there any way to change it?

8. Gaear

See above - work in progress ...

When it's done it'll be quite easy and pleasant to read, but you can choose the XenForo skin (chooser - far bottom left of page) if you prefer a 'light' look.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Is there a way to make the close buttons on adds actually work when browsing the forum with a smartphone? I'm finding these massive page blocking adds impossible to close thus hampering my ability to read, or see what I'm typing.

sirchet likes this.
  10. Taluntain

Can you post a screenshot?

11. Allyx

Umm, not without a 2nd device to snap a photo with, however since posting my last message, the adds do seem to be closable.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Is there a way to actually get rid of the pop up adds?

I understand the need to advertise and generate recurring income for the host, but those of us that have supported through donations and such really shouldn't be subjected to pop up adds that take over the screen.

I usually read the forum on my iPad when I'm on the porch and an add that owns 25% of the screen until I close it is a pain, especially with it coming back with every page load.

Allyx likes this.
  13. Allyx

I believe that is what rpgcodex do for their supporters, whether it actually removes the adds or not though is unknown to me though as I refuse to part with my cash for their benefit.

14. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I use adblocker plus (free program) and I'm not seeing any ads at all on this site. May not be an option for mobile devices though, idk.

15. Taluntain

There are apps to take screenshots on your phone too...

The same ads have been there for years, though only for unregistered visitors previously. You definitely shouldn't be seeing them on every page load, though. Is this on your computer or mobile? Normally pops are limited to something like 1 display every 6-12 hours, which is not problematic. Seeing them on every page usually means that you have cookies disabled.

Using ad blockers results in depriving the site/host of any means to gain income to pay for the recurring costs of keeping the site online and paying for various expenses. The costs here include server hosting costs, forum licence, domain renewals, occasional hardware upgrades etc.

If everyone was using ad blockers, pretty much all of the sites that aren't subscription-based could close up shop. The situation with ad blockers is actually becoming so bad that this has started happening already because people don't realize that when everyone (read more than 50% of the people) is blocking ads, the remaining minority can't offset all of the income lost via the people who actively deny the sites that they visit any means of support.

We definitely could set up ad-free access for site supporters, though.

Our Host!