Haven't played in a long time, was there an AI change?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by crossmr, Apr 20, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. crossmr

crossmr Member

I haven't played this in years. I decided to restart it. I put on the Co8 patch and temple plus.

I've noticed a strange behaviour that I don't recall happening before. Now, whenever a hero gets under 0 hit points and falls down, every enemy within running range drops everything and tries to kill them. Even to the point that they will provoke multiple attacks of opportunity by breaking off from existing fights, and run through several threatened areas to try and get to that person and kill them.

It makes little sense from a game perspective, because it basically means if someone falls, they're guaranteed dead as everyone goes for them, and from an RP perspective it makes little sense for intelligent creatures to put themselves in such great danger in the middle of a fight to go after an enemy that has been removed from the fight.

2. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

sounds like the new DM wants to kill off all the PC's.

I would suggest taking the combat reflex feat to defend the helpless fallen and try
    not to fall maybe choose die hard feat in addition.

3. crossmr

crossmr Member

I'm still at level 2, which makes this all the more annoying. I'm not really asking for a way to deal with it, I'm asking if this was an intentional change, accidental, is there something I can toggle, or is it a bug specific to my game? or was it really always like this? I don't recall this at all before and I'm sure this kind of thing would have stuck out to me just as much then.

The behaviour doesn't make sense anyway you look at it (they aren't feral animals killing a meal)

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It doesn't sound like normal behavior. It's also hard to tell from your description if it's an across the board behavior or an isolated case - it would be best if you provided an example, or even better a savegame that demonstrates this.

If there's indeed a problem I will address it through Temple+ updates.

5. crossmr

crossmr Member

Okay. I haven't played in a couple days. I'll go in and test it again. I was doing the moathouse. Just the upper parts. And running into issues in several fights. Like against the bug bears. There were so many that eventually one of my guys would go down, and when that happened, I'd immediately focus on the ones beside them, but even if I killed those, other bug bears that were engaged with other people and not beside him would break away and even pass by other heros, all causing attacks of opportunity to go strike the downed person and kill them.

I must have reloaded that fight half a dozen times.

6. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

I think that is normal behavior for the bug bears in the moat house.

I have seen them do that on occasion.

I would avoid them at level 2.

clear them last along with the knolls when your higher level.

I think bugbears use advanced tripping attacks also.

you can use 1 character to sneak past the knolls

and the same to find the secret exit to the out side just

past the lareths chamber guards.

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Gnolls (and gnoll skeletons) have always been pretty bloodthirsty for me, but not so much the other monsters.

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

I believe some of the enemies are scripted to zero in on spellcasters, or flanking characters. For example, I notice the normal bandits in the moathouse focus on the first fighter on the scene, but the bandit leader heads straight for the nearest spellcaster (mage in particular) in the party, even if it means AoO against him. Same behavior from some of the bugbears (and giant frogs and flaming gnolls. Same with the Assassin later in the game.) So, yes, I believe the AI has been changed-updated-improved-toughened since the original. And the bloodthirsty behavior of attacking-until-dead has been noted before.

Our Host!