I'm participating!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Jan 21, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We've got that! 'Baleful Transposition'. But it's only a level 4 spell. :(
    Summoning a genie, you mean? We have one of them from the Fire node don't we, an Efreet or something? Ok, that could work...
    Yeah that may have to do.
    Try harder :p But it seems I may have to make a new spell for this anyway, so go in any direction you like. This may be the ideal one for a metamagic spell. Or, let's say you boosted a PC for his knowledge - what boosts would s/he get? Int? Wis? Gather Information? Concentration? What would a "make me knowledgeable!" spell look like in ToEE game terms?

EDIT: I'll go with Daryk's suggestion that a Fire cleric casting lvl 6 Flame Strike gets a metamagic bonus. I mean, he's a fire cleric - that makes sense.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Woo, thanks! For knowledge, would it be possible to implement Foresight at level 9? It's basically +2 to AC and Reflex Saves for 10 minutes per level, the tricky part being the "never surprised or flat footed".

3. Shiningted

Ok.... I think I can do justice to Foresight, but I can't do it RAW
    So that's what we've got. +2 Insight bonus to AC and Reflex Saves as you say, lost when you lose your Dex bonus, but you are never flat-footed (is that contradictory?) or surprised.

What I could do:

Insight Bonus? Probably not, it would have to be a Circumstance bonus. Possibly rortable by stacking with some other insight Bonus, though nothing comes immediately to my mind.

OR... I could do it as +4 to Dex, which would give the bonuses and guarantee you lose them if Dex is taken out of play. However, since Clerics wear heavy armour that rarely has a high Dex bonus allowed, this is obviously sub-optimal.

So it would probably be a +2 bonus you just have all the time. For a 9th level spell, I can live with that. I mean Shield of Faith gives you a +2 AC bonus and it's a freakin' 1st level spell.

Re not being surprised or flat-footed: the whole issue of a surprise round is debatable in ToEE, I maintain there IS one which is implemented by some folks getting a move whereas some monsters join the Initiative cue AFTER one or more of the PCs have moved (so it only acts next round), which in my opinion is the game's way of saying that monster was surprised. Other folks disagree and say ToEE has no surprise round.

Bottom line? I could either (again) give the Dex bonus, which would include an Initiative bonus (but again probably would never occur for a heavily-armoured cleric) or I could grant Improved Initiative for the duration of the spell. Not the same as 'never surprised' and would NOT stack with the feat if you already have it (doesn't everyone for spellcasters?) but better than nothing.

Never flatfooted - I can only simulate that with Uncanny Dodge &/or Combat Reflexes.

Anyway, I think some or all of those ideas do justice to the intent of the spell, but they are a hodge-podge of workarounds. What do people think? Please speak plainly since this spell will be available to everyone, not just as a Domain spell.

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you make them luck bonuses they should stack with everything, which is appropriate for a 9th level spell, I think. A large luck bonus to initiative could also work for the "no surprise" piece. It might be a little unbalancing that way, but it's a 9th level spell after all. They're supposed to be unbalancing.

5. Shiningted

Thanks Daryk, but the game only really recognises Luck bonuses for poison (in a way that can be scripted). Script-wise, I only get armour bonuses, shield bonuses, deflection, skill circumstance, attribute, familiar, Luck for poison, some monster bonuses, and a couple of others. I don't get insight or luck in general or alchemical or a number of other things I'd like (the game may still use those at various times internally, but you can't script for them). No scripts for Initiative bonuses other than the feat, too, which sucks.

So I need:

- either a spell that uses a luck or insight bonus I can mod (Guidance, for instance, or True Strike use those bonuses, but can't be modded. Others may if anyone can think of them)
    - feedback on whether people think this is a good or bad idea.

If I get no feedback then I'll go ahead and give it a go, but if anyone normally plays a Knowledge Cleric / Rogue who already has Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge and Combat Reflexes and this will ruin your game, speak now :p

6. Shiningted

I got Bolt of Glory going, i's a Ray no less :D

7. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Polar Ray as a 9th level spell??? Hell, nobody would cast Polar Ray if it was a third level spell!

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Doesn't it do 1d6 per level, at a high level that could add up .... or the RNG could make it weaker than a magic missile. :p

9. Shiningted

Thanks for the feedback Zugchef, but it's consistent with the use of Wiz/Sorc spells in Domains (eg Acid Fog) and I don't have a lot of options. Minimum 17d6 against a cold-susceptible opponent has it's moments.

If you want to throw out some alternatives from a min-max perspective, I'm happy to listen :)

10. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

Nevermind, re read some things and changed my mind.

11. zugschef

I guess summoning a greater water elemental is out of the question? ;-)

It's just that Polar Ray may seriously be the most worthless spell in the entire player's handbook compared to its level.

12. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

When you finish, will this incorporate Rudy's spell and item fixes mod, or should one install Rudy's, then overwrite with yours?

13. Shiningted

I won't be wrapping it up with Rudy's mod - that's not my call to make - but I CAN confirm I have been building this on top of Rudy's files (spell.mes etc) so if you install Rudy's mod first, this will be compatible.

@ Zugschef - thanks for the feedback, I'll give you both spells, and since it's level 9, you can have an Elder Water Elemental. No-one plays Water Domain anyway ;)

14. zugschef

Touché! ;-)

15. Shiningted

For the record, this is advancing, I got the Vigor spells going (in fact, I just downloaded Mad Martigan's revisions from HERE and they worked fine). Just Foresight to worry about.

Our Host!