Druid/wizard mix

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by windmillcrusadeR, Feb 3, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

i'm trying a solo character that's druid/wizard. i used npcs to clear the moathouse and have her at 3rd druid/2nd wiz. however i can't get her to copy any wizard scrolls.

does a multiclass character have to have a higher score in the wiz class to copy scrolls?

Her int is 18.

i've tried saving, resting, stripping off clothes/armor.

nada

2. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

A while back i tried copying scribed scrolls from another class and it didnt work for me, not sure the specifics on rules for that off the top of my head...

3. JamesTheLion

JamesTheLion Member

This may be a dumb question, but what is your spellcraft level? Your skill level in that skill (modified by your intelligence bonus) determines your ability to scribe scrolls.

Like I said, it may be a dumb question... But it's usually best to start with the dumb ones when diagnosing the problem :p

4. OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer Lurking Sith

Question: How can you truly classify it as solo if you haul NPCs off to the dungeon?

5. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Two things:

1) Are you sure that you have wizard scrolls, and not clerical scrolls? Wizards can only copy spells specifically made for wizards. If you have the wrong spells on the scrolls, you won't even get the command to copy them.

2) If the copy scrolls function isn't even in the radial menu, then you may have an install problem. I remember a while back people (like myself) complaining about not being able to find how to copy wizard scrolls. I'm pretty sure it was a bug in my install.

6. wazsa

wazsa Member

I agree with OldSchoolGamer, a solo run should be with just your character and not any npc's unless rescuing them as you have to in some parts of the game

I found doing all the little quests around hommlet gave you a pretty high level before going to the moathouse anyway.

Also remember SNEAK is a good way to get around places if need be

Wazsa

7. windmillcrusadeR

A solo druid in the moat house is just a tasty sandwich for the bugbears and zombies. I don't believe it can be done, without numerous saves, reloads and handpicking each role to hit and for bad guys to miss.

To multi class a druid and mage, well even worse. though the long spear comes in handy for 2 or 3 on one encounters. More than that gets ugly for a druid of first or second level by his/her lonesome. Some meat is required to clear that sort of thing.

Plus i like having my characters interact with the npcs. having a dumb npc talk to some characters can be such a crack up. but that is for more than a solo pc adventure.

anywho, i tried to copy the wizard scrolls at both 1st and 2nd level. I bought first level and second level scrolls at the Mage of Hommlet's tower.

simple spells like: magic missle, grease, mage armor etc.
    a few like melf's acid arrow and two or three second level scrolls.

I stripped the druid/wizard down to naked, took off any weapons, rested her: each and every scroll i tried to copy to my spell book failed to copy. Not one worked. I know wizard spells from other spells. though protection from evil scroll can be used by both cleric and wizard.

I thought that maybe it was because the wizard level was lower than the other class or a toeefe bug.

statistically, even with a first level character, copying a scroll of first level should be easy.

8. wazsa

wazsa Member

windmillcrusadeR

I'll take the challenge and give it a go as a solo Druid, what allignment are you using??

I did the moat house alone as a wizard so I'll see what happens

Wazsa

9. windmillcrusadeR

NN party with CN druid. I started her with a longspear and sling. i also bought a dark wood shield at the start.

I suppose if you went with a wizard through the moat house you'd have to build them up with hommlet quests. A solo should climb pretty fast if those are done first. HOwever, i still see the mob over running the wizard at the moat house.

did you use a lot of charm spells or summoning spells (or both).

I'd think that the game is not as good if you can't complete some of the quests because your diplo, gather info, sense mot, or bluff is usually too low to help with some of the quests.
    or do you see differently on the npc interactions?

10. wazsa

wazsa Member

no I don't use any npcs at all in my partys, but I do pretty much all of the hommlett quests and yes you need to build up your gather info etc etc, the fact you need to work on these is what makes the game fun for me.

nope no charm spells, no summon spells

11. Typhon

Typhon Member

incorrect sire, the mouthouse is a tasty sandwich for a solo druid. try leveling more and using your spells more effectively. spike growth is a great one for taking out large groups of wimpy enemies, they run through it and die or get severely injured, and usually cant even make it through all of it in one turn. also bring out your animal companion of you forgot about it.

early on make a shillaleigh (sp?) for your weapon via the spell, buff yourself with barkskin, bears endurance, and bulls strength, when you get a few more levels use call lightning and spike growth, and have the rest of your spells be summons and/or cures, and you should be all set. dont rush it and just focus on annihilating one big encounter or a few small ones and resting instead of trying to stampede through the entire level in one day.

playing solo means you'll level faster, which means youll have access to spells that lay waste to the enemies because youre a higher level than they were designed for.

12. windmillcrusadeR

ha, an old post from way back.
    which is yo9ur favorite solo class character?

Our Host!