How strong do you make your heroes?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by webusver, Dec 4, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I myself make sure that the main stat for any character is at LEAST 17 or 18. I will accept low numbers; Dwarven fighters don't need good charisma scores with others to do the talking, and Orc fighters need not be charismatic or intelligent.

My only character (2, actually) that I REALLY care about are the Thief and Cleric. The cleric starts as a fighter, and usually has a 17 Str, Wis and Con. Dex can be high but not necessary. He ususally has a shield (the Curved heater) thus gets a high AC anyway. The Thief is the main one. Must have a Cha of 17 or better, same for Dex and Int. Strength is usually high, and the character is always and elf. Other than that, the Fighters are always strong and healthy, and have good Dex as well (most use 2 handed weapons and need the dex for help with no shield).

But having played D+D for so long, it is easy to know what works and doesn't.

2. Vendegaar

Vendegaar Cornish Avenger

I have been converting some of my VERY old PnP character sheets over to 3.5 stats - nothing over 18.

I use the point buy system to generate each stat, then pull that number off scale and drop it back until it disappears. (built in cheat)

I shift back to the roll system to verify that the stat is where I want it, then back to point buy to reset the 25 point buy.

Repeat for each stat and you can replicate any character stat sheet - with a max of 18 and a minimum of 8. Of course you CAN generate all 18's if that yanks your chain.

I personally feel that having characters with rediculous stats is not really playing the game, it is just collecting goodies.

If you REALLY want "super heroes" there are a lot of equipment that can be consoled in to make your troops virtually invincible from the start. What really is the fun in that?

3. mark hill

mark hill Member

Once a PnP buddy of mine visited and I was just showin him TOEE on my PC, cause I figured hed play it if he had it. His FIRST character he rolled on my PC was 18 18 18 16 16 16 (!!!) Damn thats anNOYing, Ive never rolled that good, Tyche hates me :(

4. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I tend to cheat just a little bit and give my characters 20 in their primary stat, but allow them to be weaker on others.

5. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Burn the threadomancer with fire!

6. mark hill

mark hill Member

confirmed Iron Man fanatic, so stat cheats not so easy .. however nothing quite makes this game sooo cool as seeing yr party go DOWN and having no saves to get em back up :) .. its a tense feeling that reminds me of PnP or chess, where theres no tap backs ofc. One of the big weaknesses of most single player comp games is the saves thing .. its kinda stupid playing that way, you actually cannot lose if you think about it, having this incredible time-rewind power .. it fails my defenition of "game" lol

7. Tathum

Tathum Member

NECROPOSTING!

Just when you think you don't have to loko at these damed old posts anymore...

8. carbon_dragon

carbon_dragon Member

The answer to this question depends on whether you're playing a computer RPG (in which case I take every advantage I can get including rerolling a thousand times) or you're playing a REAL role-playing game around a table with people. In the latter case, the Gamemaster can scale the opposition to be a fair match (or more importantly a fun, challenging match) for the players. In a computer RPG that isn't usually possible. Even in Skyrim where it does scale, it assumes you're a pretty optimized character.

Even in paper and pencil games, I want the players to be competent and heroes. After all, there is something that distinguishes them from the crowds. The object is to have fun, not to tick up points in heaven for having a "realistic" character, whatever that means in D&D.

9. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I believe in playing a "hero" and not a common person. Thus 10 is a minimum stat with 2 18s and at least 1 15-17.

10. mark hill

mark hill Member

oh yeah I reroll characters like crazy, thats fair .. my current party has only 1 character without an 18, a Paladin .. its tough to get all high stats AND an 18, and paladins really need a decent bonus on every stat I rekon .. shes also my "face character". The only one with penalty stats is a half orc barbarian, naturally he has 20 str

However Im toying with the idea of a game with only 1 PC and the rest of the party filled up with the relatively weak NPC hanchmen .. I wonder if those second stringers can take the adventure? Probably not, but it would be fun watchin em try :)

2x 18s tho .. I wasnt quite that lucky this time around lol

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Those NPC's will surprise you.

There are a few of them that already have heroic stats and one even has some decent gear.

12. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

ha ha, I fo9und this thread that I posted in 2006. I can't find the program I used to change my character stats, religoun etc.
    anmy ideas?
    I agree, stats that are all +s are silly, however, a heroic character that is going to play this game, solo, needs to be able to dialogue effectively with computer generated npcs, also, survivial skill and possibly some lo9ck picking, needs to be available. I started playing multcharacter PCs and I can't make the dialogue happen with the NPCs. I need a hero, with high IQ as well as decent stats elsewhere. I need a character modifier to mjake that happen.
    plus, I've reviewed the thread on avatar pics.
    I've gotta make one of Ash from the evil dead, :) LOL the tv show just came out

13. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Why not just use the point buy exploit- you can't manipulate your religion with it but at least you can easily get the stats you want...

14. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I like a decent random roll, doesn't have to be stupendous, but I like rearranging the points that are their until they do what I want. I just don't click "add" points to max out, but "rearrange" the points. can't really do that unless there is an editor

15. chano

chano Established Member

Our Host!