Windows 10, Widescreen scaling, and Windowed mode scrolling

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Caelen, Sep 3, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Caelen

Caelen Member

So many parts to this little gem! First, the details.

• Monitor native res: 1920x1080
    • GPU: AMD HD 6800 series
    • Latest drivers: Catalyst 15.7.1
    • AA: disabled both in game options and catalyst control center
    • Centered Timings turned on in catalyst control center. This option is supposed to make the screen always use the actual display image, without any scaling, centered in the screen, even if it's smaller than the native res of the monitor. When I change my desktop resolution to 1680x1050, it correctly renders the desktop this way, with a black border surrounding the image and no scaling at all.
    • ToEE version: GOG
    • Co8 version: 8.1.0
    • Keep: not installed
    • ToEE resolution: 1680x1050

Running the game normally, without Co8, mostly works in fullscreen mode (to the main menu, anyway). I have not tried to actually play. I used it as a baseline to set the .cfg file. It did have one bug, which I'll get into later.

With Co8, in windowed mode, almost everything works fine. In fullscreen mode, everything works except for the same bug that I get without Co8.

The full screen bug: When in fullscreen mode, the game refuses to use Centered Timings. If I have left my desktop resolution at 1920x1080, it stretches the image to fill the screen, thus distorting the image. If I have changed my desktop resolution to 1680x1050, which normally has the correct centering, it instead uses the correct scale while stretching the image to make the top and bottom reach the edges of the screen and making it slightly wider. This leaves me with black bars on the sides, but also with an incredibly muddy image because of the 30 extra vertical pixels mashed in there. It just does not want to stay in the centered unstretched position, which is how I used to play it (same hardware, same settings, same software not counting any more recent updates to Co8) in Windows 8.1. This is particularly annoying since all of my other older games actually do use centered timings properly. Even Nox!

The windowed almost-bug: I decided to try windowed mode to get around this nonsense so I could have the nice crisp image I've come to love. But, sadly, moving the mouse to the edge of the screen doesn't move the screen. Hence an almost-bug, since I'm pretty sure I read that this wasn't supported in windowed mode somewhere.

The solutions I'm looking for, in order of preference:
    1. Make windowed mode allow edge scrolling. Is this possible, at all? Is there a way to trick the game, or OS, into binding the mouse to the ToEE window while it's the active window?
    2. Force the game back into the centered location with the proper scale, preferably without having to change my desktop resolution. Is there some way to make the game behave like all of my others?
    3. Rebind the scrolling keys to WASD instead of the arrow keys. The WASD keys would work much better for me, but I can't find any options in the game to change the scrolling keys. Can these keys be rebound at all?

2. Vash854

Vash854 Member

Do you have gpu upscaling off in control center?

3. Caelen

Caelen Member

I have it turned on, with the centered timings option selected.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I highly recommend reading the The Circle of Eight Modpack Explained. The second post is titled The Co8 Guide to Successful Gaming with ToEE, it's a must read to avoid many of the idiosyncrasies that tend to pop up when running an older modded game on a newer OS.

5. Caelen

Caelen Member

I read through it again, just to be safe, and I'm already doing all of those recommendations. The no-scaling works with other games, just not ToEE. In windows 8.1, the no-scaling did work with ToEE. None of the troubleshooting points apply in this case.

6. Caelen

Caelen Member

Our Host!