Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

Just started "Tools of the Trade" quest. I really don't think that the way Fireforge does the getting the quarry on the map is good. I really think that the Foreman can put it on the map when you ask him about the dwarves in the quarry. After all, the way I do it is to say I will take care of it but you don't know where the quarry is and he could tell you where it is before Fireforge.

2. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Thanks for your response.

3. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Hey, does anybody know anything about a Ring of Minor Fire Resistance in the sewers? I found it in one of the possible locations for Panathaes. It isn't his, is it? It'd be a shame if something killed him without me ever meeting him.

Found an amusing bug while looking for Boroquin. Couldn't spot him anywhere, until I saw his torchlight moving -- inside a wall. He eventually walked through the wall into a corridor. I guess he knows the "noclip" spell?

(And ye gods, this quest is annoying. Though it's amusing how the design ends up producing the opposite effect from the design intent)

Edit: found Panathaes --- who does have a ring on him. Still not sure where the other one came from. But now I've got a new issue. Panathaes joined the party, and there's no obvious way to kick him; Abiram won't take him, and there's no dialogue option to kick him. With 6 PCs I can't have the kids join when I find them. Am I supposed to do something with Panathaes first, or should I go to an inn and remove a PC? Actually, the inn interface isn't letting me kick any party members, so that's out. Or am I supposed to finish the investigation and then find the kids?

Suggestion for the walkthrough: a Robe of Eyes can be quite helpful for this quest and Rabbit Hole, depending on your party build.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Isewein likes this.
  4. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Well, that was hilarious.

Since I couldn't get down to six party members, I decided to find the kids anyway. The boy joined my party long enough to get to the surface, where he promptly vanished. That's WAD, right? The girl wasn't down there afterward.

I suppose I'd better spoiler this next bit.

Still only had two pieces of evidence, so I went back down to talk to Boroquin, who's guilty this time. Couldn't find him anywhere. Turned out that's because he was running around in the middle of my party since he's still charmed; I was looking all over the mapexcept inside the party. Turns out he doesn't have anything to say anyway. I can pickpocket the locket from him but I can't do anything with it. Can't close the case, can't get rid of Boroquin -- he even follows on the overland map -- can't get rid of Panathaes, though at least he'll be useful when he gains some levels.

I'm calling this one hopelessly busted.

Edit: turns out it isn't -- that locket is usable. Something more for the walkthrough -. (I'm starting to think that could use a wholesale rewrite.)

Not exactly a bug, but dialogue with Ramses is a little weird if you decide to violently reject the job the Hextorites next door offer you. It's not like they were just running a dogfighting ring over there.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. Alhazred

Alhazred Member

After defeating the red priest at the third level of the Temple and taking his loot, I can't leave the location without crash to desktop. Before this fight I've never encountered any of these and everything ran smoothly.
    Here's my save just after the fight. I managed to get outside using the map (item), but I cannot go further without CTD.
    http://speedy.sh/k2zxr/Save.rar

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Sometimes if you have a spell effect active, or a companion summoned the game will crash when transitioning from one area to another.

If this applies to your game, wait for the spell to end and dismiss your companion then try again.

7. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

If the area is too hazardous to rest, like Temple Level Four, you can teleport somewhere safer with console commands.

8. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

Why use the console commands? If you are in the temple, you can use the map item you get when you enter and go to the secret spiral staircase on level 1.

9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'd try what messedup said first- go to the secret stairway and rest to see if things get better. I think I had this or something similar happen in 8.0 here- I used my Teleport spell to get out of the area and get to Jaroo. For me using a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability along with buff spells like Haste, Resistant to Energy, Bless, etc were usually the culprits in causing things to get mucked up...

10. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

In my experience, using the map item causes crashes if using the area transition would, while using the console does not. Not sure about the Teleport spell (prohibited school for the wizard in my current run.)

I agree with Gehennis that buff spells seem to be the cause.

11. Alhazred

Alhazred Member

Sadly it didn't help me - crashes still happen.

12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

I'm having trouble with the interface for Fire Storm. Sometimes I have highlighted targets on the map while the "cast at these only" number still reads zero. It's a weird area of effect, of course. I guess I'm doing something wrong, but what is it?

Horrid Wilting doesn't seem to target properly -- it looks like a super fireball rather than one of the "targets, none of which can be more than X feet apart" type.

13. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

A few miscellaneous things.

Lord Hungous' dialogue assumes that if your party rested you ran away from Hickory Branch to do it. Is Hickory Branch supposed to have too many REs for rest to succeed? I have had no problem resting there. Or is this just a quirk with the way the global variable for that dialogue is set?

Bethany says at {230} "hoard" when she means "horde." And while it's not strictly a bug, should she really talk about unreleased content?

The elementalist at {10}: "Seaking repentences" should be "Seeking repentances."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  14. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

I didn't get the Hickory Branch slides to play.

Just had eight CTDs in a row instead of the Gremlich encounter. At least, I presume that's what's going on. I have four "scream" REs before the crashing started.

Edit: make that 15 CTDs. I think I'm gonna call it a day on this one.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  15. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Good news, I guess. It isn't NC that's buggy, it's ToEE itself. The Scather reward encounter was crashing, not the Gremlich.

Strange to get no kill XP there -- or for the phylactery, come to think of it.

Guess that wraps it up for this party, since Demons and Demigods is a type of quest I've never cared for much.

Our Host!