Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

I rarely use NPCs but I'm sure other people do so I'm surprised that I can't find this bug to have already been reported:

Whenever I go to a new map, Burne's memorized spell list is completely refreshed. So if he uses a bunch of fireballs on one level of the temple, he can just go to the next level and wham, all of his fireballs are back. Also, he keeps casting auto-armor (without using a spell whenever he appears on a new map) so he has a full slate of armor flags above his portrait.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Interesting, I have copied that scroll in other versions so I assumed it would still work.

3. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

I thought so also until I tried to copy it and it didn't work. It should be in this thread somewhere.

4. messedup

I don't pick up Burne. I pick up Meleny and she doesn't do that.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I only use NPCs to complete specific quests. Aside from that my PCs are better imo.

6. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I just checked in 8.0.0, 7.0.0, 6.0.0 and all versions of KOTB, and the source of the problem is as I mentioned in my long post above. For some reason, in 8.1.0, these 2 lines were removed from data/rules/spells/466 - Suggestion.txt:

Level: Sor 9
    Level: Wiz 9

So the game isn't recognizing the spell as a wizard spell, hence you can't copy it.

In all the other versions, those 2 lines were still there and it was OK. I don't know why they were removed.

7. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

But are your PCs really better if Burne gets all of his spells back with each new map? Also, Burne is an 8th-level mage that my party picked up while they were all 1st-level. An 8th-level wizard is better than a 1st-level wizard - especially with this bug.

As for the suggestion bug, I recommend bringing back suggestion (follow marc1967's advice except change the level entries to brd 2, sor 3, wiz 3 and just reduce the duration (to 2 rounds: in the data\scr\Spell466 - Suggestion.py file, change spell.duration = 600 * spell.caster_level to spell.duration = 2) so that it's not over-powered. You'll probably also want to change the data\mes\spell.mes file so that entry 466 (and 5466) say suggestion instead of dominate monster. You might also want to change the data\mes\description.mes entry for 9466 to Scroll of Suggestion.

The 2-round duration works for me because with the D&D suggestion, the spell ends once the suggested task has been completed. So in the heat of battle, it's not super-realistic that you'd be be able to give a less than 6-second command (the duration of the one round in which you have to cast the spell AND tell the target what you want it to do) that would be complex enough to compel the target beyond the current fight. You'd more likely have to just say something like "kill those 3 guys there." (1 round would also be reasonable - and maybe better from a balance standpoint, but I like 2 rounds to allow for 1 round of movement and another round of action.)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. messedup

I have made the suggested change and you can copy Dominate Monster with it. I haven't tried Dominate Person since it wasn't in the magic shop in Verbobonc when I tried the fix.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. marc1967

Just keep in mind that the version of Dominate Monster you learn from the scroll is different than you one you learn by gaining a level, and you may be disappointed:

- The scroll version will only have a duration of 1 hour/level.
    - It will not work on animals. (Spell has fizzled, Target is not a person.)
    - It will not work on creatures of greater than large sized (Spell had fizzled, Target is larger than medium size. )

10. messedup

When it is in your spell book, does it change to the scroll version or is it the spell book version? I would like to see the programming on this one.

11. messedup

I mentioned that I couldn't sell to the tailor earlier in this thread...I now can not sell to Burne's assistant. Can I use the same game.global_flags[903] = 0 to reset Burne's assistant to sell things?

The answer would be no to the 903.

A suggestion, you may want to put all the numbers for refreshing things in the walkthrough (or at least here).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  12. marc1967

You actually get both; the spell book version and also the scroll version since they are 2 different spells:

Suggestion.jpg

The programming goes like this. The proto for Scroll of Dominate Monster references "Suggestion" as its spell:

Suggestion 2.jpg

1) It looks up "Suggestion" in data/rules/spell_enum.mes, and sees that "Suggestion" is number 466, so from that point on it follows everything by the number 466. Internally it doesn't care what the spell does, or even what the name is, it just follows the path of processing with 466.

2) data/rules/spells/466 - Suggestion.txt has the rules info on spell 466.

3) data/scr/Spell466 - Suggestion.py has the scripting of how the spell will act in the game.

4) Finally, the only reason it will be named "Dominate Monster" in your spellbook once you learn it, is because spell 466 is named "Dominate Monster" in data/mes/spell.mes becasue of this line:
    {466}{Dominate Monster}​

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Nice work on all this Marc. That change to Suggestion was probably just some house-keeping gone wrong.

14. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I as trying to cast Haste on my party before taking on Falnrith but had trouble getting it to take effect- I'd get either a 'save failed/save succeed' message and the character in my first slot (my rogue- and I have no NPC's in the party) would get sometimes get a Mage Armor spell that had a duration of 5999/6000 turns. I did accidentally do a quick save while buying from a store but I didn't load it (and can't delete it either). Anyone ever have this issue before? (And yes, I did eventually successfully cast the spell but only after taking my rogue to see Jaroo- she'd had a Protection from Evil cast on her before doing the 3rd round of Arena of Heroes).

15. marc1967

Sometimes if you are near an NPC spellcaster who is prebuffing (like Falrinth in the next room), and you are casting a spell at the same time, you can pick up the other guy's spell by accident. You can often hear the NPC's spells firing off. The best thing to do is to give them a few moments to do all their buffing, and then cast your own spells. I've had this happen near the Fire Temple where there are 3 clerics all doing it at the same time.

Heroism.jpg

Our Host!