Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Right --I'd forgotten how spell effects are handled in this engine.

I suppose those Remove spells need to be added to the busted spell list in section 1.11 of the walkthrough.

Finally got to Verbobonc, and stumbled into a very odd conversation with Guntur. Hadn't heard of his quest yet, but suddenly we're doing something for an NPC we've never heard of. This could be amusing -- heroes are taken for -- bounty hunters? -- by mistake, but I'm guessing it isn't WAD.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I need some help with a familiar bug. I did the thing by kicking out the caster who created a familiar in the party so the familiar stayed and began gaining class levels like an npc. However, the familiar has disappeared and only the blue ring shows now, while their portrait also shows. They do not show up in any combat, and I can not interact with them at all. I tried using the follower.remove cheat in the console but it does not work for this character. How can I remove it? If it stays it takes exp from combats while contributing absolutely nothing.

edit: For anyone having this bug, I found a workaround. Since I can't target the familiar turned npc, give it a level in barbarian so it can use barbarian rage on itself. Then, use the console to set its constitution to 0. This won't actually kill it, but with rage on, it does kill it after rage bonus wears off, where you can then click the red button on the portrait to remove the dead npc.

Also, I've been wondering this for a while, but would it be possible for any of the bugbear shields to have masterwork quality so that they could be crafted? The temple bugbear shields have in my opinion some of the best looking shield designs in the entire game, but being non masterwork quality makes them worthless for practical use.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I've finally started an 8.01 play thru of the game and aside from finding the miscellaneous loot at the shop map (which I left alone) I now find that none of my spell casters- cleric, wizard and sorcerer- can read the scrolls you find in Terjon's bookcase by casting Read Magic on them- I actually have to identify the scroll first in order to use it. Is this a bug or a change?

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You have an older version of the mod. A newer one was put up without the pile O loot present.

There is a fix for the read magic issue, (you might want to search) I'm on my iPad and I don't remember which thread its in, but it is available and it actually makes read magic identify all the scrolls and potions in your inventory when done in the cellar of the Welcome Wench.

EDIT: It's here along with a few other fixes. Sitra Achra's Fixes Look in the third post.

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

In my current save I am unable to use search correctly with my best search skilled character to reveal any hidden doors or hidden objects on the map screen. Also, despite killing romag and belsornig, the reactive temple mods have not triggered for anyone.

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

The date on the 8.01 download I have is 4/25/2015- I could have sworn I re-downloaded it before installing it- argh...:sadblinky

7. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

I checked out that thread. But could I get clarification on remove fear: does the +4 bonus vs. fear actually work (in which case, the spell should probably be "courage" or "fear resistance") or is the spell completely ineffectual.

8. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The +4 does not work from what I have seen. The spell does not even create an ongoing effect on the target, so you won't see a little tab appear over the characters portrait like with Bull's Strength or Protection from Evil.

9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Just picked up a Dominate Monster scroll, but my wizard doesn't have an option to attempt to copy it. Yet another miscellaneous fix to apply, since I see Murlynd fixed that one back in Septembe.

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I have copied this scroll many times. Do you already have it in your spell book?

11. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

I have tried to copy Dominate Monster and Dominate Person after purchasing them in Verbobonc. They don't come up in the radial dial to copy. I have applied all the fixes for Co8 8.1.0 NC and it still doesn't work.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Nope. Just got to Verbobonc, and this scroll's the first one I've ever seen.

13. messedup

The first place I see it is in Verbobonc unless you scribe it by choosing it to put in your book. I haven't been able to get it copied though no matter what I do but I am going though again trying many other things to see what I can do so I will try again.

14. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The reason that the Dominate Monster scroll can't be copied is because it is Not based on the spell "Dominate Monster". For some reason, it uses the spell "Suggestion" in protos.tab, and the spell's script has been altered to work like Dominate Monster. So there are actually 2 versions of Dominate Monster in the game.

1) The one you learn when gaining levels and is based on the spell "Dominate Monster".

2) The one on the scroll and wand, which is based on an altered version of "Suggestion" and acts like "Dominate Monster".

Specifically, the proto for Scroll and Wand of Dominate Monster says:

Spell: 'Suggestion' class_bard 2​

Ignore the bard part, that's not really the problem. As long as the spell is on the spellcasters class list, he can learn the spell. The real problem is that since the spell 'Suggestion' is Not on the list of class spells known by a wizard in the game, you can't learn it. However, if you make a small change in the file data/rules/spells/446 - Suggestion.txt, adding the lines in red below, you can then learn the spell since the spell "Suggestion" will be added to the Wiz/Sorcerer class spell list:

School: Enchantment
    Subschool: Compulsion
    Descriptor: Mind-Affecting
    Level: Sor 9
    Level: Wiz 9
    Component: V
    Component: S
    Casting Time: Full Round
    Range: Close
    Saving Throw: Willpower
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Projectile: No
    flags_Target: Range
    inc_flags_Target: Other
    exc_flags_Target: Self
    exc_flags_Target: Dead
    exc_flags_Target: Non-critter
    mode_Target: Single
    min_Target: 1
    max_Target: 1
    radius_Target: 0
    ai_type: ai_action_offensive

But Wait! This leads to the following situation, where you know 2 versions of Dominate Monster. One is based on the spell "Dominate Monster", and the other is based on the spell "Suggestion" that has been altered to look and behave like Dominate Monster. I don't have the time to dig thru the script files for the 2 different spells and see how they contrast, but the one based on Suggestion seems to be more limited (regardless if you cast it from the scroll, wand, or memory).

Suggestion.jpg

Another obvious fix would be to change the proto of "Scroll of Dominate Monster" to be based on the spell Dominate Monster instead of Suggestion, but I'm pretty sure this was originally done for a reason at the time many moons ago when the spell was added to the game, and is not just some random bug. So maybe it shouldn't be messed with.

Maybe Gaear or Ted could shed light on why the learned spell is based on Dominate Monster, and the scroll/wand version is based on Suggestion.

15. messedup

In a previous version of the game, I could scribe dominate monster and dominate person. It is only in version 8.1.0 NC that I can't when purchasing it from Verbobonc and I have brought this up before. I haven't tried by scribing the scroll and seeing if my other wizard can copy it but I don't think it worked that way either.

Our Host!