Multi class character can't copy scrolls

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oleg Ben Loleg, May 22, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, we need more bonuses than just 'circumstance' - they should be a competence bonus but protos.tab doesn't recognise that for skills, only attributes ('Charisma Competence Bonus' comes to mind). No can do on your fix though, Marc - the exploitable Merchant's Scales was added specifically because someone didn't like that the Eyeglasses (also +2 Appraise) took up a slot. In the end both were included because the Eyeglasses taking up the head slot makes sense, but better to let players make their own decisions to not exploit than to force players to go without something else (like a belt or magic horn or something).

Of course, 'to slot or not to slot' is an argument as old as Co8 :) My first mod was a new graphic for a mod Allyx did to better utilise the lockpicks and bardic items slot. And that graphic was rubbish, let me tell you ;)

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The two with stackable exploits that are used most are the Merchant's scale and the Scholar's Kit. Both are used out of combat in safe areas where you can swap them out for your Lute or your Belt of Strength or whatever, so I don't see that as an issue.

Also, it looks like someone went out of their way to script in a solution to stacking the eyeglasses and the scales where the scales break the glasses. There could easily be a solution to drop a the scales (or a redundant scales or scholar kit) if you insert it. That way another character could pick it up and at least resell it.

3. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

I guess I tend to agree this is an exploit (even though I have to say I've had a lot of fun abusing it). ANd I think marc1967's fix is reasonable, since as stated earlier in the thread there are plenty of other "legit" ways to boost scroll scribing success.

But I would propose that the real culprit is that scrolls themselves are the OP exploit in ToEE. The ability to scribe scrolls (at least the level 0 and level 1 spells, since they cost practically nothing) almost completely breaks the "spells per day" mechanic, since they have 0 weight, so you can put 100 scrolls (imagine the bulk) in your backpack if you want (and have instant access to any of them, which doesn't make sense). And on top of it, reading a scroll in combat doesn't trigger an AoO (which totally doesn't make sense either... although I have to say this is the best way to use touch attack spells reliably, which can be fun if you have a Necromancer or Bard or even a Thief).

I would submit that correcting any of those points would re-balance the OP-ness of scroll scribing.

Of course you can say "don't do it", but that's like saying "don't take Furnoc's ring and go hire Darley into your party first thing once you get to the temple" (which you can do by the way). Good game design demands that the devs have anticipated such shenanigans and have done something to prevent it. At least that's my humble opinion. I think it would make a better game, even though I've exploited those things for fun all the time.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I believe the scribing mechanic to be a sound and good use of early XP and gold, because it does cost XP and gold to scribe those 100 scrolls you're speaking of.

The inability to create an AoO when casting from any scroll is IMHO one of the biggest cheats in the game engine.

Myself, I force myself to make a five foot step before casting from a scroll, but like you said earlier that really isn't a fix.

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I have no issue with scribing and carrying as many scrolls as you want, as long as they are used outside of combat. I think it's reasonable to have a big satchel of scrolls to pull out for pre-buffing and healing. The scribing process in TOEE is close enough to RAW that it's fine.

However, if you are in combat, I agree, it's ridiculous that finding the exact scroll you need from the pile as a free action with no Attack of Opportunity, and then cast it with no AoO either is game-breakingly over powered. It would be nice to see this fixed.

6. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

If the mage had a familiar in their backpack, I could imagine the familiar could look for the right scroll and give it to the mage without the mage being distracted. BUt reading it in combat was always a major hazard in our old PnP games, often with dire consequences if the DM was feeling nasty. Good times....

7. Shiningted

The SRD does not actually say that scrolls cause AoOs (not on the scrolls page anyway), just that they are "basically like casting a spell" (so Concentration check...?) I suspect it's spelled out as an AoOable act elsewhere but I don't have access to my books right now.
    That was me, and it's a fair request to go that way I guess. But I'm not arguing against this because I agree in leaving in the exploit - I don't, which is why I added that thing for eyeglasses and why I made eyeglasses use a slot in the first place - but because I have seen these disagreements before over the last decade+. People don't like being forced to do things. Forcing them to use a slot is exactly that - leaving in an exploit is not, you can use it or not as you like.

8. sirchet

Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square.

When casting a spell from a scroll you are dropping your guard and paying attention to the scroll you are reading, you might even be wiggling your fingers in a certain way.

Bottom line is that you are paying more attention to the scroll than you are to the adversaries surrounding you in the adjacent squares.

Casting a spell from memory provokes an attack, it just makes sense that adding having to read that spell from a scroll would make it even more likely.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

More importantly, the SRD explicitly lists "Read a scroll" as an action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

10. sirchet

Yes, I cut and pasted the first two sentences of my response directly from the SRD and it's explanation of an AoO. ;)

11. Shiningted

All right, thanks for clearing that up. How does the game handle scribing metamagic spells btw? Does it work properly?

12. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

I did some tests a while back and posted these results on GoG.com:

It seems metamagic feats do not transfer to scrolls. I tried using Maximize Spell, Heighten Spell and Enlarge Spell. None of them had any effect on results produced when the scroll was read.

But for spells that produce results based upon the caster's level, the "caster" is considered to be the one who scribed the scroll. I tried this with Magic Missile, Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Shocking Grasp. So a lvl 1 Wizard reading a Fireball Scroll scribed by a lvl 10 Wizard will generate 10d6 damage.

Spell Penetration or ability bonuses of the scriber do not seem to transfer to the scroll. Rather, if there is a DC required to resist a spell read from a scroll, the DC is based upon the spell level and the scroll reader's Int or Cha bonus (if any).

Also, scrolls that are scribed by divine casters cannot be read by arcane casters and vice versa, even though they both know the spell. For example, a Bard cannot read a Cure Light Wounds scroll scribed by a Cleric, even though the Bard knows the spell. Nor can the Cleric read the CLW scroll scribed by the Bard. BUT if the Bard has a CLW scroll scribed by himself in his backpack, and picks up the cleric's CLW scroll, the two scrolls stack in the backpack (ie. they take up the same space) and the Bard can now read both. If he gives both scrolls to the cleric, the cleric can no longer read either of them. In any case, Wizards can't read the Bard's "arcane" CLW scrolls either.

I'm not sure how D&D 3.0 handles the above case. It doesn't make sense to me that if there was an arcane version of a CLW scroll, Bards would know how to read it but Wizards wouldn't. It makes more sense to me that a Bard is a dabbler in lots of different things, and as such he understands a bit of low-level divine healing magic. So imho, the Bard and the Cleric should be able to read each others healing scrolls.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  13. Shiningted

Hmmm... I'd love to have a 'magic lab' area where you can scribe scrolls as though you are one level higher than you are (among other benefits of the place) but if you can't do it with a behind the scenes 'heighten' then more arcane research needed...

14. Shiningted

I've been tinkering with this and can't find where the scroll object stores the caster level (several flags returned '414' for a Hold Person scroll - no idea what that is about). Can confirm the DC is set by the bonus of the person holding the scroll, not the scriber (as Dreamteam said). Is that right or is it a bug?

15. sirchet

If the caster is of high enough level to cast the spell there should be no DC to cast it.

A DC to cast it comes into play when the caster is of a lower level than required to cast the spell. The DC then would be: Scroll's required caster level + 1.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
Our Host!