Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It's when you reach three or more levels in the class you multi-classed in.

Fighter 5/ cleric 3 and so on.

2. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Thanks. I've got a Ro7/F2. I'll give her another fighter level next time and see what happens. Saving first, of course.

3. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Concerning the Dismissal spell, it doesn't seem like much of a problem to make it work for elementals as well as outsiders. But what about the Nodes? The Guardians wouldn't be native there, but some of the elemental types would, right?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So you're saying you shouldn't be able to dismiss (for instance) a Medium Fire Elemental from the Fire node? Have I got that right? A quick check for subtype and map number should be doable in the spell, sure.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I agree 100%, being that would be the plane the creature was summoned from. He's already home, so where else would you send him when dismissed?

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I reported the bug (where the spell that you are trying to cast gets replaced by the prebuff spell that is autocast by a nearby NPC spellcaster) years ago. That bug is documented as issue #39 in the first post of the following 2 threads:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=127063

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=137704

I remember that (in a recent version of the Co8 Modpack) the Co8 team made Senshock's Elementals unaffected by the spell Dismissal because the Co8 team considered those Elementals to be permanent guardians of Senshock that have been bound to the prime material plane by Senshock. That change makes that combat considerably more difficult! (so much so, that my party got slaughtered when I last tried to do that combat and the spell Dismissal had no effect on any of the Elementals!).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  7. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Oh, that's why the code is written the way it is? Dismiss only works on outsiders or creatures with a summoned effect. Senshock's elementals aren't summoned, so the spell doesn't affect them. OK, that works, but there are other elementals in the game now, at least in random encounters on the overland map.

Concerning my issue with unexplained subtemple hostility, I found that while the Water Temple went hostile after I attacked the Fire Temple, Air Temple forces did not. (Can't check Earth since they were already gone.) I suppose it's conceivable that I somehow caught some Water Temple troops in an AoE sometime, but I can't think of where.

8. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

I can't duplicate the problem with multiclass charcters. I have a F3/R7 now, no crash.

Minor problem with Paida; there's no safeguard in her dialog for trying to recruit her if your party is full. If you ask her to join a full party, she thinks she's in your party but really isn't. She sometimes follows around the L4 map, but won't transit to other levels and overland travel is right out (haven't tried Teleport). You can still fire her from the party and tell her to make her own way home.

10. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

Here is a question from someone who has kicked her out: Have you talked to Valden after this to see what is up? Is she also there? Just trying to help.

11. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I reported that very same bug back in 2012. AlanC9, are you my bugreporting twin from a parallel universe? You can see my report for that bug in the following link:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=115367&postcount=18

12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Haven't been able to try. Every time I try to leave the level the game crashes.

Edit: tried Teleport after kicking her out, and that worked. She's home, all right. Not happy, and no quest XP. But at least I can get on with it. I guess she was maybe causing the crashing, since the game's working OK now.

@ gazra_1971: Some stuff just slips through the cracks, I guess. When I finally finish this playthrough maybe I'll write a fix for this one up myself.

I also may be channeling Allyx. Years ago, we both seem to have proposed the identical fix for bringing destroying the Orb in line with PnP. Didn't work for him either

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  13. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Read magic doesn't seem to work on the Dispel Magic scroll in Hedrack's bedroom, though Identify does.

I'm having terrible crashing problems when trying to exit the Temple, whether by map or by stairs. Dunno if this has anything to do with Co8 stuff or if it's just ToEE's general instability.

14. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

I just got past this and have had no problems with crashing. I used a helm of read magic to read the scroll.

15. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I agree with messedup. The helm works fine.

Our Host!