Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Heh. That actually never occurred to me. I assumed that the design intent was for the trap to really stop us, so I assumed the map wouldn't bypass it since you can't use the map to go anyplace you can't safely walk to. Should've tried it.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You could also hit the C button to enter combat and move your people past the trap then end combat.

Also, if you just came down the stairs from the next level up,
    you can turn right before the trap and torture the password out of a troll if you want.

You could also search that same room for a secret door that may lead to someone with a scarab or two.

Highlite the text above for the spoiler.

3. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Yeah, forgot about the "C" exploit too. (Exploits are kind of a blind spot for me, since I generally don't use them. ) That exploit kind of renders the trap pointless, no?

As for the other thing, coming down the stairs is fine. It's when you don't come down the stairs that you need the exploits.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yeah, that big fight can be a lot of fun if you come at it from the other direction. ;)

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

1) I wasn't getting the Deklo quest to finish, as the woodsman wouldn't recognize that I had killed the spiders:

The global variable that counted spider deaths (game.global_vars[3]) was only at 1, and needed to be at 2 to complete the quest. I defeated the spiders by putting them to sleep and then Coup-de-Gracing them which may have been the issue. But the clue to the bug may be that one of the spiders bodies remains undecayed at the grove, while the other decayed after 24 hours like normal. So somehow maybe the san_dying() didn't trigger right.

2) The world's most insignificant bug:

The material for Black Leather Boots (6045) and Black Leather Gloves (6046) is mat_cloth, when it should be mat_flesh. This means that you only get half price for the items from the leather worker, and full price from the tailor for these leather goods.

EDIT: Ring's of Protection are incorrectly made of mat_wood, where every other ring in the game (magical or not) is made of mat_metal.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I always wondered why black boots and gloves sold for full price to the tailor... thanks!

7. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

Has anyone run into this? I was healing after rescuing the Countess from the Ogre and Bugbear near the stairs just above the Fire Temple on level 2 of the Temple dungeon. I cast a cure light wounds spell and my druid was hit with a free movement spell. I then thought about it and remembered that one person in an earlier run through was hit with a resistance spell where the Ogres and Ogre Mage is in the hallway just above the Air temple on level 2 of the Temple dungeon. I don't have any saves and I am not done. When I was walking around Emridy Meadows (first time being there and two different times but in the same place) in the area where the slavers show up (but not during the slavers quest since I was looking for Terjon's item), I was hit with a prayer spell. These are all separate run throughs and they don't always show up. I am running 8.1.0 NC but it also showed up in the NC version just prior to this one.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  8. Hayes

Hayes Member

Hello,
    I installed my old jewel case version of ToEE and the 8.1.0 version of the mod pack over the weekend. Everything is patched and installed per the instructions, in a games directory on a storage drive. I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit. Running at my native 1680x1050 resolution per the front end settings.

I'm having a problem where sometime between 2 and 15 minutes after starting the game (it varies), the audio will completely drop out. This is confined to the game, and not other programs.

Also (related?), the game hangs at the final exit menu, requiring an end task via the task manager.

Last but not least, I get the same crash related to the opening cinematics that is described in previous posts.

I'm impressed with the amount of work that has gone into modding thus game, and I hope to be able to resolve my problems and play.

If you have any advice or questions, please share.

Thanks for your time.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I usually see that right after a load near enemy spellcasters (or where they spawn). I first noticed it when I was trying to drink a healing potion, and received resist fire instead. I think it has something to do with allowing the spellcasters to finish buffing before casting your own spells.

10. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

Emridy Meadows was the location of the huge battle between Good/Evil portrayed in the Intro movie -- in Greyhawk history it occurred about 10 or so years previous to the beginning of ToEE (hence the reason for the Moathouse/former outpost and the resurgent, yet incomplete, and as yet unprepared status of Temple troops and personnel). Just as Evil Undead can be triggered, it's likely the programmers also included a benefit (prayer spell) from a slain 'good' aligned priest or paladin. At least, that's what I thought when I encountered that prayer spell...
    Also noticed the strange unintended spell effects in the Temple when casting a protection spell or drinking a potion. I believe it has to do with proximity to enemy spellcasters who are casting their pre-encounter protections. Somehow the effects of their spell and my potion get mixed. It has to be from the enemy casters, because I usually solo adventure, so I don't have any party members to blame. For role-playing purposes, I just blame the 'chaos' in the air of the Temple.

11. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

In my last play-through, I tried a new combination of spells and tactics. Noticed something odd but ignored it at first -- because it got me out of a jam. But it continued to occur, so I thought to mention it and see if this is a known issue.
    Used web spell on a troop of bugbears who had me surrounded. One bugbear failed both DX and STR saving throws and was truly webbed. When it attempted to 'Break free' next round, I got an AoO. So far so good. But, that same round, the AoO continued (as if it were stuck in a loop) and I repeatedly attacked (thanks to the AoO) the webbed bugbear until killed.
    Now, I normally don't have much pity for bugbears (as a general rule), but this 'unlimited AoO in the same round' scenario occurred nearly every time I used the Web spell and was in melee range with the trapped enemies. I shouldn't complain about such a benefit, but it does seem a bit excessive. Shouldn't there only be one AoO per round (per webbed enemy) in this situation?

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

Also, noticed some strange math while fighting in the Fire Temple. Armed with Element protection from fire damage against the small Salamanders do spear damage (1d6) and extra fire damage (1d6) -- this result: My Resist Energy-Fire spell eliminated (subtracted) the fire damage, but it also subtracted the same amount from the spear damage. For example, spear damage was 5hp, fire damage was 2hp. But I only took 3hp total damage. Looking in the roll history box, I see the both fire damage and spear damage reduced by Resist Element. Makes sense if their spears are made of fire ....

13. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I was just playing and had this same bug.

I was about to hit the Fire Temple area and was buffing everyone with Heroism, and got a Resist Energy Fire instead. :p My bard doesn't even know the spell, so I think, as everyone else said, it was some of the nearby clerics buffing spells that got mixed up with my own spell.

Heroism.jpg

I don't think pre-buffing NPC's was part of the vanilla game, I'll have to fire up vanilla and see if it was. So casting your own spell concurrently with an NPC was never an issue until the Co8 changes. (edit: what I mean to say is that i think it was never done, so the original designers didn't have to worry about the conflict happening.)

Corwyn, I love your explanation for the stray Prayer spell, way to role play the situation. But I think it's a bug, and not intentional.

14. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Happend to me too. Maybe just coincidence but happend when I added 0.5 (half) skill points. It helped when I reloaded and started leveling up with my last character (most right on the screen).
    P.S. Well when I tried to level up today, in the ice node, no matter what character, every time I got to the skill points result was ctd.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  15. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

What's "third or more level of multi-classing" mean? More than two levels in whatever isn't the character's first class, or adding a third class?

Another one that may just be how Reactive Temple is supposed to work. I did all of Alrrem's quests, including giving him the Orb, then went downstairs to meet Hedrack. He sent my party after Scorpp, whom they recruited. I then went ahead with Belsornig's mission to kill Alrrem and frame Kelno, recovering the Orb in the process. However, Belsornig's whole room was hostile when I tried to report back. Had to Flee Combat since spells were pretty much used up; for once, it worked. WAD, or not?

Our Host!