In your opinion.... NPCs' levels.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by 0rion79, Jun 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Hi, maybe it is a silly question, but I would like to know what level you think that Terjon, Calmert and Jaroo should have. 10th is too low, because they are all pumped up by programmers that made the game with the level 10 cap and gave all them extra HPs and HDs. If they were 20th, thye should have the proper equipment for 20 level characters and I think that each of them could just go and clean the moathouse and the temple almost alone.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I guess I never really thought about it, Terjon and Jaroo should be the same level and I always thought that Calmert was 1 or 2 levels less, I guess that I'd base it on what ablities that they're sposed to have. What class is Calmert anyway, I saw him as Terjon's muscle, where Terjon was more of a magic type.

3. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

This has always been a huge problem with linear RPG design strategy, especially in computer games. Important NPCs have to be powerful enough that Chaotic-Teen players won't kill them too soon and break the game's story path, but if they're that powerful then you're left wondering why they don't go deal with the problem themselves.

Personally, I say let the players break the story if they want to. Once they get bored with that, they can always try not killing all the NPCs.

As to how powerful these NPCs should be, my answer is "less powerful than the stats the designers gave them".

4. 0rion79

They are both level 10 but with tons of extra HPs from nothing. SO you say something like 8 or 9? But then they would become an easy challenge! I was thinking that level 11 or 12 + the right equipment for a 12th level PC should be fine. 15 at the top.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The same problem is true in p&p, single characters get thier butts kicked, better spell usage is a way to combat this.

High level wizard tensers transformation is a great way to level the playing field in a brawl, hold person, web, enervation, charm spells, the various wall of... spells help as well.

High level evil clerics can cast create undead, desectrate, unhallow, - instant allies.

Druids can take the natural spell feat, wild shape into a bear, have a brown bear animal companion and cast barkskin, greater magic fang, bears endurance, bulls strength, stoneskin, and animal growth on himself and the animal companion.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  6. 0rion79

I just taked a look to the script file and it is clear enought to be understood but I would never dare to modify anything: too complex. Anyway, you're right. I agree.

7. asimpkins

asimpkins Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that high level NPCs are concerned with tasks that are appropriate to their ability levels and simply don't have the time to fix every low-level problem that comes along. So they delegate to adventurers that are more suited to the task.

In the same way, once the party reaches 10th level they no longer want to concern themselves with killing Goblins. They look for appropriate challenges and leave the smaller stuff to weaker adventurers.

So just because these characters don't explain what they are doing, it should be assumed that they are working on something important and not justing standing around in their rooms waiting for the party to come talk to them.

As for killing these high level characters. I think an evil party should absolutely be allowed to murder a local cleric if they wish -- and the cleric shouldn't get bogus advantages to make this more difficult than it should be. However, there should still some discouragement. It should just come in a different form. Ideally some scripting would be done for more powerful characters to come after the players and bring them to justice.

8. 0rion79

I agree. But another question:
    do you think that Jaroo, Calmert, Terjon and everyelse NPC that CANNOT be added to party and that is living in Homelet should wear an armor all the time?
    I think that a cleric or a druid without his armor are much weaker but still it doesn't make sense that they walk around all the day with heavy armors if they don't plan to go venturing. Instead, they could wear all magic items like rings of protection or amulet of natural armor. What's your opinion?

9. asimpkins

asimpkins Member

I suppose it would depend on if they've received any reports of murderous villains roaming the area. :)

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Calmert, yes I think that he should be wearing the armour, as a symbol of his status/position. Jaroo, not really but what other clothes is he going to where that are Druid type clothes. Terjon, maybe Light armour eg cloth armour with a no hood robe on top (because of his circlet of X maybe). Red is St Cuthberts colour isn't it.

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The problem with giving Npc's magical AC bonus' is that once the players kill them, the players have the items, I used to give npc's rings of protection to try to stop my min\max'ing players from killing all in sight, problem is that when the monsters die the players put the rings on! Before you know it your players are using all the item's that the monsters were using, against you resulting in massive AC and loads of extra cash for making better magic items, super PC's are the end result - I once had a (2nd ed) virtually indestructable group of evil pc's who killed a Terrasque inthree rounds at 15th level because of this very reason, now I'd rather give the chief cleric masterwork (not magical) plate mail armor, buff it with magical vestiment, buff the masterwork heavy/light maces with greater magic weapon, cast shield of faith, divine power - anything, but i'm not giving magical items to cannon fodder any more.

12. 0rion79

Well, I agree with you, but at the end of the game all party members will still have at least a RoP+1 and a magical armor and, if I done things right, the total ammount of gold that the party has when they are next to kill Zuggy and without forging any item is lesser of the reccomanded ammount of gold that an 8 party members should have.
    So, the point is that if you already have all party members with Rings +2, it doesn't change life too much if enemies have some ring+1.
    Then I don't argue that, if every high level enemy with character classes would have the proper magic equipment for his level, the game would be unbalanced. But we are talking of Terjon & and Jaroo, the 2 main leaders in the city. If I'm not wrong, Burne and his friend have a better equipment that the chief cleric of the city. And only a chaotic evil or neutral evil party would get benefits of those items because they would be the only ones that would slain innocent people for magic items. But still, for sure a modder should carefully think of what he is doing before giving any magical item to a NPC.

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Very few of the npc's can stand on their own. Elmo and Burne(once buffed up) are okay. PC's have to come first and the help npc's get depends on money and what assests are available. Basically, don't use a npc unless it meets a need and will be an asset to the party. The non-adventuring npc's are set by the gamewriters and only come into play when initiated. So, if it ain't going to help in some positive way, don't do it. Unless there are some big changes coming I don't see much of a future for most npc's, like Fruella, Spugnoir, Furnok, Serena, etc. The whole npc scenario is a confusing hassle that won't be resolved anytime soon. With the pc patch counter there might be a shift away from npc's just to avoid the hassle. I can do without Elmo, but I always use Burne in the temple. Those 4 fireball spells sure come in handy. Buffed up good, Burne is a fairly strong wizard. Once the party wizard gets fireball, I release him. He's a tad too greedy with the loot.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I was thinking X = Nice or Gold
    I agree about the no magic stuff for NPCs cos when I'm playing as NE (remember the opening quest) I would love to fuck Terjon up for his gear and for spite. :transform

15. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Just my 5 copper

Well I think the Terjon should be at least level 15, along with Jaroo. Calmert should be a few levels lower. I would say level 12 or 13.
    I also think that Black Jay should be pumped up to a higher level. At least 11. He did fight in the temple war!

Our Host!