Co8 makes the game way too hard

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sarasvatia, May 3, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I've always just saved and rested after this fight- if I get interrupted that's just an opportunity for more XP- Once I get back to full health I go out to face the ambush. To be completely honest I rarely use scrolls during combat as I've always hated using a feat to craft scrolls. I'll use any that I find- particularly the healing ones- but there's always been enough stuff to find that I never felt the need to craft my own scrolls...

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Wizards get that feat free. Why not use/abuse it?

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

We forget how easy it is to be prepared when you know what's coming.

But for a new player, if you have no idea what ambush or wandering encounter could be coming next, it's always good to have a backup. We all know what's waiting for us when we open rainbow rock now, and can wait for the right time. But it would be easy for a new player to be at 30% HP and almost out of spells, and say "Oh Yippee!! there's the rock, let's grab the loot and scamper home." Having those backup scrolls ready for any possibility is a nice safety net.

4. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

The fight you're referring to is easily one of the most difficult in the game. There are a few approaches to this though.

- There's a Stinking Cloud scroll near the Giant Crawdad. This beauty will completely cripple the enemies far more effectively than any other spell you would have at the moment.
    - Glitterdust is also extremely powerful for this fight, though that requires a 3rd level Wizard or 4th level Sorcerer.
    - Use the terrain to your advantage. You can use the hallway to avoid fire from the numerous archers as well as funnel in only a set amount of melee attackers. Be mindful of the ones with polearms however.
    - You can instantly end the fight by making Lareth yield, if you don't think you can handle everything. Co8 adds another (Though much simpler) battle after this one under certain conditions, and this is one way to avoid it.
    - Lareth himself actually makes the fight easier since he usually throws up Obscuring Mist on his first turn. Which you can use against him, by having the enemies stick in there while you poke them with spells or characters with the Blind-Fight feat.
    - Charm Person is wondrous in this fight. Selucas is pretty strong, but he's even stronger when he's on your side.
    - You can create flanks with summoned creatures. Its probably the best use of your Druid at this level since their 2nd-level spells are pretty lacking outside of Barkskin.
    - Also, always buff up before engaging. Having all your buffs ready beforehand makes a huge difference.

EDIT: Oh right, the Big 3 Ambush. That fight is even easier.

- Its an outdoor fight, which means Entangle works. Since the enemy is heavy on melee, this spell is amazing.
    - Kobert has an atrocious Will save until he rages. If your casters act before him, charming him is an excellent idea.
    - The archers will always try to interrupt your casters spells so take caution when trying to cast anything. Protection from Arrows is the best way to get around this.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  5. sonofliberty

Hard fight? Not really. Open with sound burst(cleric) and then sleep(wizard). Follow by charming a pole arm user(Bard) and then summon a black bear(Druid). Invisible fighter/thief(you did get the thief a ring of invisibility from a certain denizen of Hommlette and the cleaver from your dead wife; right?) then backstabs a target of your choice( I usually backstab and kill one of the swordsmen) and then your front line fighter wades in enlarged, with bulls strength, and protection from evil already cast. Usually, 2-3 are asleep, 2-3 are stunned, the bear has killed one as has the ftr/rogue, one is now on your side, and your fighter is taking out the lieutenant.
    Prebuff with bless(everybody), mirror image(wizard), enlarge(fighter), barkskin(druid), protection from evilX2(fighter and Ftr/Rogue), bulls strength(potion, fighter), Aid(cleric) and the first level divine power spell (cleric).

Where is the problem? Only fireball or glitterdust would make it easier. Stinking cloud requires extensive missile weapon and or damage dealing spell use. For bonus points, have the Bard charm 2 enemies to use as meat shields for the second fight.

6. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

The fact that this fight generally occurs at 3rd level is a strong argument for a Wizard over a Sorcerer. Open the fight with a Web spell and you'll have no problem. Follow a few rounds later with Scorching Ray.

7. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Third level for what size parties? I just started a new game of 4 pc's and I hit level 4 after killing the bugbears in the moathouse.

8. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

A party of 5 or more will typically be 3rd, in his case he had 7.

9. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

I can't remember the last time I did the moathouse fight prior to going to the temple. If you want to make things easier, just use invisibility (or furnok's ring) to creep past everyone, get Lareth's journal, and leave. You can come back to the moathouse later after temple fights have gotten you to fireball level.

10. sonofliberty

LOL, I must admit that never occurred to me.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I personally find this fight to be one of my favorites for a level three party of five.

It forces me to use what scrolls I find and to be tactful with what few crowd control measures I have at such a low level.

Our Host!