Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Does anyone have links to where I can download 1080p versions of all of the wallpapers that have been used for all of the different versions of the co8 modpack? They would make great desktop backgrounds.

Also does anyone have a link to download those unofficial movies that played before you got to certain places, like Emridy meadows and nulb? I liked having them in my game.

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

3. WinstonShnozwick

Thanks.

I still can't launch the game from the front end with intro movies disabled. It freezes the game every time it gets to the main menu. Also, I haven't extensively tested, but if I run the game in windowed mode and leave it in the background alone while I'm using a different window (internet browser), after a certain period of a few minutes the game crashes.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Try switching the enabled/disabled movies mode.

What do you mean by 1080p wallpaper? The GoG release came with a bunch of wallpapers in different resolutions, but they're measured in dimensions.

5. WinstonShnozwick

I found some by google images.
    I mean the pictures you use for the different versions of the co8 modpacks.

And if you mean the intro cinematics, I can't disable them without the game freezing at the main menu, it only seems to work enabled.

6. Gaear

Most of the modpack covers were customized from official wallpapers or concept art. They don't really exist anywhere but at ModDB, and they're limited size things - usually 800 x 600 or something along those lines.

The one exception is the current modpack, which you can download a 'high res' desktop wallpaper from on the bottom of the main page here.

The intro movies thing is a 'mode switching' issue, and it doesn't depend on movies being enabled or disabled specifically, just that the setting change. At least most of the time. So do trying enabling or disabling and back and forth and see if it helps.

7. WinstonShnozwick

So I tried a few more times. Every time, if intro movies are disabled, the main menu will freeze after a second or two and be unresponsive.

I did think of a workaround that just tested successful however.
    -Navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\movies
    -Rename AtariLogo, TroikaLogo, and WotCLogo to something that is not detected by the game (I just added ".bak" to each one of the names)
    -Launch the game with intro cinematics enabled, they will not play and you will go straight to loading + movie (can disable if you dislike it as well)

Would it be possible to change the front end x "disable/enable intro cinematics" option to make it so instead of whatever protocol it goes through that somehow causes the game to freeze, it renames/moves the intro cinematic bik files to achieve the same result?

8. Gaear

That's what it does. ;)

TFE-X doesn't cause the freeze, ToEE itself does due to goofy mode-switching.

9. WinstonShnozwick

That's very odd. What exactly does it do, what are all of the files involved and affected?

I can do it manually but not with the button. And when I relaunched TFE-X just now, the button read "enable intro cinematics" when I previously had them already enabled, so it seems my manual renaming was detected.

10. Gaear

TFE-X renames all the intro movies to *.bak, thus rendering them unreadable by ToEE. ToEE then simply ignores them and plays no movie.

btw, I meant to mention that the old area movies are no longer compatible with the current modpack. You can 'install' them but they either won't play or you'll goof up the current slide-style movies that are actually supposed to play. So that's definitely not recommended.

11. WinstonShnozwick

It's got to trigger something else if it's causing the game to freeze while manually renaming doesn't.

Oh dang. So there's new movies for those areas though?

12. Gaear

Yeah - static images or 'slides' with text and some sfx/audio. They're essentially area descriptions.

13. WinstonShnozwick

I tested further. I have exactly pinpointed the problem that lies with the "enable/disable intro cinematic" option in TFE-X.

Manually renaming the intro files with ".bak" on them worked, or at least I thought it did.\

There are four video files that make up the intro.
    I initially thought that the method TFE-X used to "rename" the files was at fault, because after I pressed the button, look at what happened in the second picture. TFE-X does not rename the files, it appears to give them an entirely new extension.

However, this was not actually the reason for the game freeze/crash when disabling intro cinematic. See my first picture. What I did was manually rename the files and the game ran fine, despite TFE-X's method of apparently giving a new extension to the file and not merely renaming them.

Notice one that is not like the others in the first image? That manual fix ran the game fine with no freeze on the main menu.

I ran one more test to verify my suspicions. I moved the "introcinematic" file and pressed the TFE-X "disable intro" button so only 3 of the 4 files would be affected, and then moved back "introcinematic" in its original form to the movies folder. There was no crash on the main menu. So I re enabled the intro cinematic option and then manually changed the name of "introcinematic" ONLY, letting all other 3 videos play. There was a successful freeze on the main menu. I recreated this two more times to verify.

The introcinematic file is the cause of the freezes/crashes coming from TFE-X's "disable intro" option. Attempting to remove this file or cause the game to not see it will create an unrecoverable screen freeze approximately 3 seconds after you reach the main menu of the game.

Solution: Make TFE-X's "disable/enable intro" option only affect the following 3 files.

Attached Files:

14. Gaear

I'll ask Agetian to take a look, thanks.

15. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

This is really odd, I think it's the first time I've heard of "introcinematic.blk" affecting the game in this strange way. There must be something game version, system, or OS specific in all this because this was never reported before and I know many devs (me included) ran the game via TFE-X with the intros disabled at all times and never had a main menu freeze (on multiple computers running Windows XP, 7, and different flavors of Linux).

Can you please tell me what operating system you're running (just for information, I'm curious)? I can see it's some flavor of Windows, but having not used Windows almost at all in the last three years, I have a difficulty telling them apart. :)

Also, I'm not sure if I'd really want to modify the way TFE-X operates (because disabling intro movies presupposes also removing the introductory cinematic cutscene, not only the company logos), however, it may be worth adding this to the knowledge base and to TFE-X FAQ (hopefully figuring out what exactly causes this strange lock on your system but not on anybody else's) - like, if a particular person faces this problem, he'll have to manually rename the introcinematic file back after disabling intro movies (we can provide instructions as to how to do that for simplicity). After all, you probably don't need to switch this back and forth many times in a row, so it'll be enough to disable intros once and then apply a manual fix if you experience a lock... Opinions?

- Agetian

Our Host!