Alpha Testing - Round 2

Discussion in 'TemplePlus' started by Sitra Achara, Apr 17, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

No, that's what it looks like to me. Some of the drawn paths for movement actions follow exactly the little hooks or wide-outs taken by characters OoC.

I'll grab some screens next play. Emridy and Hommlet were mostly where I was looking at it... anywhere you can actually get 2-4x normal distance in a straight line without obstacles.

2. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

If ToEE actually uses pathnode based pathing for actions that require straight lines I would chalk that up to an oversight on Troikas part heh.

3. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

Here's an example right in front of the Wench. Starting at the signpost, I can drag a path to just about behind that chimney...

[​IMG]

Go a bit further, and the path snaps to 2 nodes.

[​IMG]

Now, if I click to move to that point (out of combat mode) the character follows the exact path that I drew out using combat actions (run or whatever).

It seems if you stay around the character's regular max move distance (30 ft here) it will happily draw a straight line. Beyond that, it wants to use the nodes.

EDIT: I checked my vanilla installation and it's exactly the same there, except of course the path layout is different. I'm betting I remember long distance moves working better in an earlier version of Co8 where the nodes were removed .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. DarkStorm

@Sitra: There's a function @ 10040520
    It checks if the distance is less than 600 (inches?) and if so, it does pathing without the nodes.
    If the distance is larger, it uses the nodes.

We may want to increase that distance (maybe only in combat) to at least cover all possible run-ranges?

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Oh neat! I'll do that. (I sort of implemented that by hand for charge attack, but this should be better)

6. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

So what would be the maximum distance one can theoretically move in a full round, considering race, class and effects?

The max base would be 40ft (e.g. human barbarian). Double that for a full round move, quadruple for running... so 160ft. If there's a Haste spell active, it's +30ft (capped at no more than 2x the base) applied at... some point. Not sure of the order of operations there :questionm

I also wonder what the limit is on that function and why they'd make it so short in the first place. Sounds promising though.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, confirmed that the two turning points in HH's second pic are indeed the exact location of two pathnodes (with another directly between them).

There was a version of the mod that had pathnodes removed from Hommlet like you said, HH. Node-free maps are actually fairly pleasant in that you always go in a straight line from a to b, only you can't go further than 20 tiles.

8. DarkStorm

In ToEE parlance, a tile is sqrt(800) (=28.2...) inches. So 20 tiles would be about 564 inches. That seems pretty close to that 600 I've seen in the temple.dll function mentioned above. I guess we can get some pretty good quality of life improvements just by messing with that. One possibility would be to just increase it globally, another is to check for combat and disable it in combat.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  9. Sitra Achara

To infinity... and beyond!

[​IMG]

It does kind of drag performance down for long distances, though, so I can see why they would limit it.

I'd also like to make sure it doesn't adversely affect the AI in some way - particular the ones who require some advanced pathfinding like flanking (well, if you can call it advanced...). Please test the tripping bugbears in the Temple or wherever you can think of.

This is in at build 0.1.0-pre+87 - see first post.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  10. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

Hey, nice :clap:

Only had time for a quick test (@Emridy Meadows)... I see 4x run distances with no pathing issues. How far did you actually raise the variable?

I'll try something more complex a little later. Need to go do RL running/walking...

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Is it something that could be affected in game, by say, the Run feat?

12. Sitra Achara

I doubled the distance the game allows for pathing sans pathnodes - should be sufficient for any practical case. This only applies to combat mode, although I've raised the noncombat distance a little too.

Daryk - what's that?

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The SRD link is here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#run

The short of it for TOEE purposes is that it changes your run multiplier from x4 to x5, and you get to keep your DEX while running.

14. Sitra Achara

I think there are more important things to do first...

like fixing the Scather bug! :yes:

lqIgPdS.jpg

Available in the latest build (0.1.0-pre+101).

15. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

I've been using the (now working) run action with several tactics in mind: 1) getting someone with decent reach quickly into a key position 2) getting support characters where they're needed and 3) performing a fast withdrawal when I'm not worried about an AoO. I'm sure there are other scenarios I'm not considering.

The dexterity aspect from the run feat (if it was implemented) would certainly make it worthwhile in most of those cases. The extra movement would likely be superfluous though, given that creatures in ToEE won't pursue once you're out of their LoS. And you can already move 80-160 ft with a full round run action, which seems to be plenty.

A problem that comes up when using run as a withdrawal tactic is that combat doesn't end once you're out of range. So you're generally stuck in the encounter unless the game allows 'flee combat' which seems inconsistent (or at least confusing :tired:)

Monster AI, encounter and map design don't really seem to take extended movements into consideration, at least in the ToEE module.

Our Host!