Alpha Testing - Round 2

Discussion in 'TemplePlus' started by Sitra Achara, Apr 17, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Uh just to clarify here: When you set windowed=false, it should automatically make the borderless window as big as your screen resolution. We use the render size to render to an offscreen surface of that size and then upscale that surface at the end (and fit it to the window).
    I think it's safe to assume that the driver level AA does not work on that offscreen surface, heh.

ps: Since we're using offscreen surfaces anyway we can probably implement better AA in-game later.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

@Heinous Hat

Ok, I can confirm the charge attack bug - and also found the fix, it was a silly flag check error (I didn't notice that the source code compared byte1 rather than byte0 of the D20CAF flags, which makes more sense because now it comapres against D20CAF_CHARGE_ATTACK rather than D20CAF_RANGED_ATTACK).

As for the obstacles issue - I take it you meant going around them, please confirm/deny. Either way it seems to work fine after fixing that flag check.

The dead interrupting the living (heh) is also confirmed, but then it's also a vanilla bug. Who knew! Will put it on the low priority list for later.

3. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

ToEE is the GOG version. Co8 is 8.1.0 with NC module active.

With charge attacks, I'm seeing characters able to charge around corners (angled path to target, probably no LoS) and also able to path directly through friendlies (though they don't pass through solid geometry). Restrictions seem much more liberal than without TemplePlus, though I was thinking maybe you were going for a looser interpretation of the rule, since the PnP specification doesn't exactly translate very well to a non-grid setup. With the way it is though, it feels like charge attack is a little too popular. Have you actually altered that mechanic? I'll try to grab some screenshots next time to illustrate.

As for run actions, it sounds like what I'm seeing is, as you describe, the limitations of how far the game can draw a straight line. I checked without templeplus and it is indeed the same. I was testing it outdoors (Emridy Meadows and Hommlet). I had thought I remembered 'run' not sucking so badly... perhaps not.

And I'll see if I can find a save with the dead character interrupt, or try to reproduce it. The setup involved a prone character who had previously activated Ready vs Approach and then died without that action ever firing. He later interrupted someone moving through his area, so the turn passed to him. I had to click (to no effect) to get the turn to continue.

It was the monk, so who knows ;)

EDIT: Just saw your post... I'll play around with it again in the next build. Yes, I meant being able to corner obstacles, which seemed off.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

I'm interested to see what you come up with. I always agonize between perfect looking models (4x4 SSAA running in a 1680x1050 window) or having them a little larger, but with the whole thing at lower fidelity in upscaled fullscreen (on a 1920x1200 screen).

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It'd be great if dead undead stood back up when you went by and AoOed you. ;)

6. Sitra Achara

Just pushed a new build that should fix the Charge Attack issue. While I was at it I've also made an improvement for the cases when the pathfinding flakes out and does weird things like this:

[​IMG]

Should be better now (though not perfect).

7. Nadyan

Nadyan Member

New issues:

1. My character gets shorter and shorter. It seems to be a continuous process. She is 5'8'' tall, but at level 15, when she was going with Paida she looked like Paida's little daughter.
    I do not remember such issue with previous versions.
    Fixed

2. Fire temple (Basanio) cannot be finished. In the first turn one of the salamenders/flame brothers does not finish its turn. This is not a crash, <Esc> key works, you can reload or quit the game.
    The workaround is to open the game with ToEE Front-End X and play the encounter there.
    Cannot reproduce

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  8. Nadyan

Nadyan Member

What I noticed, probably for the first time, the dead opponent may stand back up, drink a potion and fall dead again.

9. Sitra Achara

Nadyan:

1. Do you cast Enlarge Person on her? (or any other spell that changes character size) I think that's a known issue with long term use of this.

2. Cannot replicate - can you post a save before the fight?

Also please state the version you're using - it appears in the bottom right corner of the main menu (e.g. 0.10-pre+67).

10. Nadyan

Nadyan Member

Sita Achara,

1. I cast Enlarge Person continuously. However I played many times this way before and have never seen this effect.

2. I will have to recreate this situation, I have overwritten the save.

3. The version number is: 0.10-pre+66.

11. Sitra Achara

Alright, I can confirm the enlarge bug - it's a roundoff error due to conversion from floating to integer and back. It's present in vanilla too, to some extent, though it seems to stop at certain numbers so it's not so bad. I'm pretty sure I've heard these reports before, but I did observe different behavior in normal game vs. TemplePlus, so that needs to be fixed.

@DS could it be that TemplePlus uses a different _ftol2 function or something like that?

12. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

@Shai: You mean for float->int conversions? Yes, we use a different C runtime, but with floating point math it's fuzzy anyway.

13. Sitra Achara

Aye, I'll definitely improve it so there's no ambiguity. Currently it multiplies/divides by 1.8 (float) and then converts to int, I'll change it so that it multiplies by 18 and divides by 10 (and vice versa) so it stays an integer.

I was however wondering if this could cause errors elsewhere...

14. Heinous_Hat

Heinous_Hat Member

Yup, charge restrictions are back to normal :)

The path drawing with 'run' is still screwy, though maybe slightly better. I can occasionally get it to lay out an acceptable line that's at least a little longer than the regular full round move distance. But it still really wants to snap lines to the underlying pathnode layout... at least I assume that's what it's doing.

I've set up a fresh vanilla (no co8) installation for comparison. I could swear I remember that working correctly at some point.

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What map(s) are you doing that on (I think you mentioned Hommlet and Emridy up the thread?) and can you post a screen that shows the exact location(s)? I could then verify if it's snapping to pathnodes.

We've modded pathnodes on many maps in the mod, so it's possible that if you remember doing that effectively in vanilla, it was on a map with no pathnodes or a map with a looser pathnode grid. (Some vanilla maps originally had pathnnodes with a fairly loose or inconsistent grid.)

(Assuming I'm not totally off here as to what's going on to begin with. Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether.)

Our Host!