Best Armor for High Dex Druid?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sonofliberty, Feb 11, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

The AC bonuses from both the Bracers and Padded Armor actually won't stack. Both of them are an Armor Bonus.

Barkskin is a Natural Armor bonus of +5 at level 12, its pretty amazing. The only other sources of Natural Armor are from the Amulets of Natural Armor (Crafted or dropped by some NPCs in the NC) or from the Tattoos (Bought from Mother Screng). The Druid's 2nd level spell selection is kinda lacking so I generally devote all my slots to it.

Wild Shape... isn't really that useful. Its main function is to allow a Druid with low STR or CON to participate in melee. But why do that, when you can summon armies of elementals or scorch the entire battlefield with your spells?

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

My thoughts exactly. My second lvl spells are usually Bull Str and Bears Endurance for my frontline fighter with a cat's grace added for my rogue/ftr

3. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Its the best combo of armor you can get in this game with a decent dex bonus. You only lose 1 armor for the padded armor, but get the plus +3 from the enchantment, +5 from the bracers and +8 from the dex bonus. Im sure you can add that up and see it is the best strictly armor combo you can get. +3, +5, +8. Thats +16. Try to find a better dex/armor combo in this game. Im not even getting into the spells, rings or amulets, this is for just armor alone.

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

We have a winner!!

But is the stacking of the +3 from the magic armor with the +5 from the bracers a bug in the game? Or is it supposed to work that way in the real rules? It seems like if you can't stack the armor bonus, then you shouldn't be able to stack the enchantment bonus from that armor either. I admit I am ignorant on that part of the rules.

Also...

"Padded Armor: This armor features quilted layers of cloth and batting. It gets hot quickly and can become foul with sweat, grime, lice, and fleas"

yech!!

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Not for a druid, but Black Elven Chain is right up there.

6. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Where do you find that?

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

A certain Drow Ranger has a set, but you can also buy them (sometimes) from the 7 Elven shop in Verbobonc.

8. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

True, Black eleven chain has a total of +16 (8 dex, 8 armor, bracers are useless for defense as they dont stack) But Black elven chain weighs more and has a 3 armor check penalty, they both have the same spell failure. One advantage of the black elven chain is that you can use the bracer slot for other things, like the greater bracers of archery. Also as stated earlier, Druids cant wear the black elven chain. :thumbsup:

9. short

short Member

It's supposed to be that way, as far as I know. It's the same principle we use all the time, where armor bonus is divided into natural, dodge, shield, deflection etc. and we take the highest value of each.

I don't have any way to test this atm, but I'm almost 100% sure that you can do the same with the spell mage armor in the game. I'm also almost 100% sure you can do the same with the shield spell (i.e. buckler +3 and shield spell = 7 AC from shield).

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

In PnP games (and how I run it in my head while playing ToEE) I rule that the more magic you put into an item, the better it performs mundanely, as well.

For instance, padded armor that was +3 would slough off sweat and grime and repel normal vermin because of the enhancements. Also, it would look fabulous, because, hey, it has to be Masterwork to be enchanted! ;)

Our Host!