Colossal Creatures

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kneller1, May 18, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

There is one Colossal creature in the game, the Fiendish Colossal Monstrous Spider (14523). I just noticed while mucking about with the proto-editor that in it's size category (column 24) that Colossal is spelt wrong; i.e.. "size_clossal"

Is this done on purpose and what effect would it have if it weren't?

[edit]
    Ok, I did some testing using a colossal greatsword I made. First off I changed the human model Gargantuan so he could wield it. (Well, I eventually want to make a Gargantuan NPC so I was trying stuff out).
    When column 24 for the greatsword was spelt right, ie "size_colossal" it didn't seem to change anything and both the human and dwarf fighters could use it. When I changed good old col 24 to "size_clossal" it worked as expected and said it was too large for the dwarf to wield but the human had no problems. He even got the increased strength modifier of 1 due it being wielded 2-handed compared to a normal greataxe in one hand.

I'm guessing that the spelling mistake originally occurred in the programming and we now have to script round it. :shrug:

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

So you could make a storm giant or titan with this?

3. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Yes, but the only that seems to change is the size category, not the model size which I guess you can do some other way. It does grant the -4 to hit due to size difference though.

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I just fought the Fiendish Colossal Monstrous Spider in the drow tunnels, and I noticed that it didn't have an attack and AC adjustment of -8 for being colossal. After searching and reading this thread, I changed the Object Size in the spider's 8.1.0 proto FROM "size_colossal" TO "size_clossal", and the -8 adjustments kicked in properly.

I'm assuming maybe someone saw and fixed the apparent typo, but it seems as mentioned above that "size_clossal" is how it is actually spelled for it to work right.

5. Salk

Salk Established Member

Perhaps this is something that you should report in the bugs thread, marc1967?

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

A proper fix for this is to change the DLL. Thankfully there's enough padding there to add another character:

[​IMG]

Thanks for reporting!

Attached Files:

7. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Nice find! I'm naive to how changes like that make it into a new version of the game, being new and all that, but that would be a nice bug to fix. I know if I ever start digging into temple.dll like that I may get lost in there forever and never return to regular life. hehe.

8. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thanks for all the fixes you are making tot he temple.dll file, Sitra Achara.

I personally appreciate it immensely.

marc1967,

having an extra capable person taking a close look at the temple.dll file would be a godsend!

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Sometimes I feel like I'm solving the world's biggest crossword puzzle :p

Our Host!