How to cast lvl9 spells? Wiz/Vanilla TOEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by troop18546, Jan 27, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Hi all,

I've empowered my fireball spell on the wizard to be lvl9 - how do I use it though? I have no slots for the lvl of spells. Help?

2. short

short Member

Do you have at least 17 wizard levels and is your intelligence at least 19?

3. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

I'm playing vanilla TOEE, levels are only up to 10.

4. short

short Member

Oh, I see. Then you're limited to level 5 spells and lower.

5. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

But why? Why would the original unmodded game let me craft spells with levels I couldn't possibly use?

6. short

short Member

Good question. I have no idea, but given the number of bugs in ToEE I'm not exactly surprised.

7. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Good point. The metamagic is useless then. :/

8. short

short Member

If it makes you feel any better it doesn't seem like empower spell stacks anyway. I tried a dozen or so casts of a level 9 fireball (3x empower) spell and the damage was roughly the range of 40-60. For a 10d6 spell that normally has an average of 35 damage that looks like a single empower effect (average 52.5 damage). With 3x empower I would expect much higher numbers.

9. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

In vanilla ToEE your character level is capped at 10. SO the highest level spells a 10th level wizard should be able to cast are 5th level spells (see pg 68 in the pdf manual that came with the game for number and level of spells per day).

That said, if a tenth level wizard casts Fireball (which happens to be a 3rd level spell btw), it automatically adjust the damage to match the wizards level. So your fireball would do 10d6 damage. Even so, Fireball is still considered to be a 3rd level spell and require a 3rd level spell slot. A 5th level Wizard casting the same spell would only do 5d6 damage.

You can "Empower" Fireball using that Feat to do 50% more damage, which would increase your spell difficulty by 2 levels (ie. from a 3rd level spell to a 5th level spell) and would thus require a 5th level spell slot to cast.

Or you could Maximize Fireball using that feat to do maximum damage, but that would increase it by 3 difficulty levels (ie. from a 3rd level to 6th level spell). Since you can't cast 6th level spells in vanilla due to the level cap (per the chart on pg 68 of the pdf manual), maximizing fireball is pointless.

Your 10th level Wizard can scribe a Fireball scroll, and the scroll will still do 10d6 damage even if a lvl 1 Wizard reads it, since the power of the spell is based on the wizard that scribed it. You can not apply meta-magic feats to scribed scrolls however, so it is impossible to Empower a Fireball scroll.

Or, with sufficient stacked Scholar kits and high enough Spellcraft skill, a lvl 1 wizard can learn Fireball and scribe a fireball scroll (even though he isn't high enough level to cast the spell). If the same wizard has sufficient Use Magic Device skill, he could then subsequently read the Fireball scroll and it would do 5d6 damage, since that is the default damage for the Fireball spell.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Well I get that level cap was a mistake, because the game DOES let me create a level 9 spell. They just fucked up.

11. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

That's not exactly true. In vanilla you can take your characters to level 20 and gain the appropriate hit points, attack bonus, saving throws, feats, skills, etc., even more spell slots for levels 1 -5.

It's just that much of what your guys would get going past level 10 were not put in, such as spells and spell level slots for level 6 - 9 spells, special class abilities and feats you can only get past 10th level.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can uncap the level limiter with vanilla by using the TFE-X utility, but strictly speaking, vanilla was indeed capped at level 10. Out of the box, you couldn't advance beyond that.

13. marc1967

I'm going to go double check to see if I'm losing my mind, but last month I ran the vanilla which I downloaded directly from GoG and ran a solo Paladin to level 16. OK, sanity still intact.

I ran toee.exe right from C:\GOG Games\Temple of Elemental Evil\ with no Co8 mixed in at all. I was curious to see the the contrast. I think I remember being surprised when I leveled up to 11th and got all the usual level 11 stuff like my BaB went to +11, and I was given more skill points, and a roll for hit points. Then at level 12 I got all that again plus a feat. However, I was never given 3rd or 4th level spells since I guess they don't exists on the system.

Maybe newer versions of GoG uncapped the level.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Had you run TFE-X from that installation before, with the level cap removed? The TFE-X utility that does that patches the temple.dll file, so if yours was patched, it would still function that way even if you ran it natively.

What are the created/modified dates on your temple.dll?

15. marc1967

This computer had never run the game before, so it was never installed on this computer in any form either as vanilla or Co8. I started with a fresh install from GoG, and before adding the Co8 stuff I decided to run the original on a whim, since it had been a long time since I had.

temple.dll
    -----------------
    Date Modified: 9/26/2004 3:14 PM
    Date Created: 1/1/2015 7:48 PM
    Size: 3,360 KB

I guess it was actually this month that I ran that character (installed on new years day), but it was about a month ago from today.

Our Host!