Worldbuilder Question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Anthropoid, Jan 20, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

Not sure where to ask this as I was unable to post in the section where the Worldbuilder thread(s) are located.

I've downloaded it and all the attached patch zips.

I created a special directory at the same leevl as my ToEE game:

C:\GOG Games Modded\Temple of Elemental Evil

and

C:\GOG Games Modded\ToEE Worldbuilder

I also put all the patch zips in a distinct place and made a copy of the unpatched Worldbuilder. One other thing I did is to copy the ToEE Worldbuilder files and subdirectories (everything the installer installed) and create a third directory for an unpatched copy of the Worldbuilder:

C:\GOG Games Modded\Copy of ToEE Worldbuilder

After installing the world builder, I extracted all the zips into the C:\GOG Games Modded\ToEE Worldbuilder prompting several "Do you Want to merge/overwrite" windows to which I answered Yes, yes, yes.

I extracted the patches zips in this order:

1. patch-source-204-to-205
    2. patch-binaries-204-to-205
    3. patch-all-205-to-205a
    4. patch-all-205a-to-205b
    5. splitter

After that I launch from the desktop shortcut generated and I get a glimpse of the GUI, and an erro messsage, something along the lines of:

"ToEE World editor requires a PROTOS.Tab file!" and the app CTDs.

This happens if I use the .exe icons or the shortcut and it happens for both the patched and unpatched versions.

Appreciate if anyone can point me to a solution or tell me if I even supposed to be playing with this stuff :p

I know Co8 is done and it is highly unlikely if not impossible that any new content would be officially appended to the mod. But I'd still like to see what is involved in making some stuff. Maybe if it was super-cool and passed muster, it could be made available to the masses as unofficial additional content . . . or, I might just hog the fun and keep it for myself :)

OR (and this is the most likely outcome) I fiddle with it, see how much work modding this game is, and give up.

In any event, I'd appreciate any help getting the Worldbuilder to work, if anyone has any idea what a fix for that error is.

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

You need to copy the file protos.tab into the world builder folder.

The file will be located in your configuration at C:\GOG Games Modded\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\rules

The time it takes just to get through the learning curve of understanding how it all comes together is staggering, let alone getting a mod up and running. I'd suggest running through the small tutorial that comes along with the world builder just to get your feet wet.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You'll also need copies of description.mes, long_description.mes, and invensource.mes in your WorldBuilder directory. There's a readme in the WB directory that covers all this stuff, as well as some other modding and operational principles.

Also see the General Modification forum for a lot of info. This thread is a good starting point for an overview: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7237

Then there's the Toolset Documentation forum, which deals in all things WB-specific. Both forums are subforums of the Modding parent forum.

4. Anthropoid

Thank you gentlemen!

ADDIT: and just to clarify before I embark on reading everything, the world builders is used to what the name implies right? To make quests? (or even perhaps whole "worlds").

I have no interest in changing the rules or making a "mod" as I think of the term. Rather, I'd just like to plug a few more lower level quests into my copy of the Co8 mod.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

For that, you'll moreso just modify dialogue and script files yourself, which you don't need WB to help you with (though it allows you to set program defaults to do it within WB). The thread I linked above explains it all well.

WB's main areas of applicability are in editing/creating protos and mobs, and sectoring maps, as well as a few less common tasks.

6. Anthropoid

Thanks Gaear,

I've had a read through of that thread and a few others here and there. The one question I'm left with that I'm not seeing a clear answer to is "how to make a new map."

When I say "quests" I mean: talk to an NPC, see a new prompt and ask about it, learn about a new location, travel there and kill baddies, accomplish goal, go back and get XP.

My understanding is, you cannot create "new maps" exactly but rather have to use existing ones and edit them? I still have yet to go through the tutorial for WB, but if there is a particular thread you can recall that goes into these sorts of issues for a beginner I appreciate a link.

7. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The tutorial in the world builder will show you how to put a new map and location into the game, along with how to fill it with monsters, chests, treasure, vendors, etc. And also, iirc, it gets into scripts and dialogs a little too. It's really written well, and the best way to get your feet wet, more than any particular thread I can think of for a beginner.

It won't show you how to create the actual artwork, nor does the world builder do that. You'll need Photoshop or similar to accomplish that task. However, creating totally new artwork for your area is possible (just look at the keep for Keep on the Borderlands mod), and once you have the artwork, you can just layer it on top of an existing map.

8. Anthropoid

Ah thanks Kelno!

I was about to post a dumb question saying "Tutorial in the WB? I don't see it" but yes, that would be the rtf documents in the folder named "Tutorials" in the WB directory! :)

Our Host!