Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

I thought I read this...

I had to restart because of something I didn't like (needed to change some items on people and one alignment and hence the alignment I was playing). I have just gotten through the Thief! quest in Nulb and I have a save prior to it ending (The serving wenches dead, Alira dead, Wat and Rentsch dead (I fight all fighters and get my things back). Dala shows up unconscience and the fight doesn't start right away.

Also, I have a lot of saves including some for KotB. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Thanks, I managed to fix it, although it's hard to be 100% sure because it's one of those randomly appearing bugs. (e.g. I could go through that scenario 4 times in a row and it'd work fine with your save even before the fix). Fix attached - would appreciate some help testing it (e.g. with messedup's save game).

@ Salk - you are correct.

@LarkinVB - from what I understand some of your guys just went past the barrier and others got blocked off? That should not happen, unfortunately locked doors are sometimes bugged that way with PCs just passing through. I'll try to include a failsafe though, thanks for reporting.

Attached Files:

3. messedup

I may have found another bug...

I can't sell anything at the tailor. It has been over a week and it is still full. I am trying something (asking about how things are going) to see if that allows for refreshing. I see in the py file that is should be a week.

4. LarkinVB

LarkinVB Member

Yes. Some of the party made it through the barrier. Same happened with the harpys. Both times I clicked into the rom from a greater distance without sight.

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Have you rested at all? I've noticed it some times takes longer than the script would indicate for a refresh if I continue to traipse around the countryside instead of resting.

6. Sitra Achara

@messedup -

Thankfully your savegame is good for debugging that one too :)

Try setting
    Code:
    game.global_flags[903] = 0
    in the console, then entering the Tailor's shop, then resting a week.

Your save also confirmed what I long suspected to be a flaw in the inventory respawn method - relying on timed events. "If it can go wrong..."

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Will that also work at the Inn of the Welcome Wench? Glora stops selling me food and drink after two or three purchases.

8. messedup

I looked in the py file and that is in there (then again, I really don't know the programming language so I could be reading it wrong since it is in an if statement). I have had very little luck using the console. Some one asked if I have rested a week, some items are from killing Lareth. And I have had the ambush in the house in Nulb. I have also completed the first level of the temple and I have rested many days.

9. messedup

10. Sitra Achara

Just passing a week should do the trick, if you follow the instructions listed above, no need to travel around the world. Were you able to set the flag to 0?

You can verify by typing
    Code:
    game.global_flags[903]
    (without the equal sign) to see what it returns - it should return 0.

I also want to emphasize the order of actions:
    First, set the flag to 0. You should do this outside the Tailor's shop.
    Then, enter the shop.
    Then, rest for a week.

And thanks for testing!

@ Daryk -
    Set the flag
    Code:
    game.global_flags[908] = 0
    To reset Glora.

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Will do next time I'm in Hommlet... thanks Sitra!

12. messedup

I just reactivated it and it seems to be working. I will tell you if it doesn't. I did put some things in the tailor's shop and after 7 days it went back to normal (the items put in weren't there).

One bug I think is still going on that seems to be not talked about (I looked at the dlg and py files) is the crossbow from the tailor. Is there something special that needs to be done to get that to be given? I haven't been able to get it no matter what I do.

13. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

Not sure this is the best place to post this question, but I came here to find the fix for the Read Magic don't work thing, and the two issues I'm having are sort of similar 'don't seem to work' issues. It might be because I still haven't downloaded the last version (still have the one with the piles of loot at the shop map).

1. Acid vials, when moved to a right hand seem to just disappear. holy water works but not acid.

2. Is it supposed to cost gold to cast Identify to identify potions and magic items? That just seems wrong; why even bother using the spell when it costs seemingly the same thing to get a merchant to ID them for you?

14. messedup

Everything I read says that you pay 100 gps to identify items even with the spell. In this game, read magic can identify potions. There is a fix for that in this thread towards the beginning (like page 1 or 2). The others, I don't know.

15. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

Okee doke, thanks. I'm just getting ToEE and Co8 installed on my hot shot new Xidax gaming rig (will get around to the slog of installing my heavily modded Skyrim build in a day or so . . . just so much work to get that game fully modded installed). Hope to get my hands on the _final_ Co8 build without the Read Magic bug and the piles of loot at the start ;) so after that I'll check my Read Magic and see if it works and if it will do potions too.

Has been so long since I played D&D, I played the original game, as in: mid 1980s little blue and pink pamphlets :yes: Then I also played the "Advanced" edition, the ones with all the hardback books. Still have those books in boxes somewhere around here.

Only dabbled with some younger guys in grad school with these more modern rulesets, which I see in many respects as being superior. The skills and feats and stuff in particular I see as an improvement. But something like Identify requiring a "gold" material component to cast. . . I just can't say if that seems "right" to me. Back in the old days, magical items I guess just came with a label on them "Longsword +2 . . . Holy Vorpal Sword +5" etc.

I'm guessing that is not the case in the more recent incarnations of the game and thus the Identify spell has real importance. I can also see how some sort of valuable material components need to be 'expended' to identify some magic items. But the idea that all of them regardless of potency or power cost seemingly a flat 100 gold pieces seems to me to be lame. Is that how it works in the actual D&D rule set on which ToEE is based?

Our Host!