Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Xebx

Xebx Member

Problem solved. It was a gpu drivers issue.
    Actually playing and enjoying it.

Salu2

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I have the modpack downloaded. My computer says it can't open it. It's apparently not a RAR file.

What do I need to do to open it?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The download's an executable actually. Some systems get confused by all the x.x.x version number stuff in terms of file extension identification, so just try renaming it (to anything), then double click to run it again.

4. GuardianAngel82

5. GuardianAngel82

Fail

What, in particular, should I rename it?

6. Gaear

It doesn't matter. What was it called originally, extension included, and what's it called now?

7. GuardianAngel82

I tried "Co8", no extension.

Then renamed it "Anything", also not adding an extension.

I've deleted it, and replaced it with a copy of the original download, with it's original name.

In each case, Windows 7 asks what to open it with.

I was able to function with 7.8, with no problems.

8. Gaear

Well the problem is just that your system doesn't know what it is. It's an executable file, which means that it should run itself when you double-click it.

Do you have extensions enabled/viewable in Windows? Every file has an extension, no mater what, you just can't see what they are with extensions off.

Usually a file is called something like 'xxxxx.xxx' The Co8 download adds dots in the form of the version number, e.g. 'Co8.8.1.0.exe' That can cause your system to think it's not an .exe file, but a .8.1.0 file or something like that, and being as that's not an existing/known extension, your system is puzzled by it.

9. ShadyElf

ShadyElf Member

10. GuardianAngel82

I'll try deleting characters forward from the "end".

It DOES ask if I realize that renaming an executable might cause it to not run. But when I double-click, it asks what I want to open it with.

11. GuardianAngel82

I was mistaken. Windows was warning about renaming a FILE EXTENSION.

Renaming the file "anything".EXE does the trick.

Thanks for the help! :)

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I recently started a play through of 8.1, and I have to say the new random encounters are amazing! As in, scared the heck out of me at 5th level. The melee creatures are smart about tactics, and so are the spell casters. I'm just lucky I didn't lose any PCs!

That said, I'm not seeing any XP differential between my crafter and the rest of the party. Was that disabled in the process of extending XP attenuation beyond 10th level?

13. bariumdose19

bariumdose19 Member

I recently downloaded the latest version of the modpack, the game, plus the two patches. I followed the installation instructions for the modpack and the game, making sure I had installed the latest version of java (version 8) and that the game and modpack were installed in a folder called C:\Temple of Elemental Evil. My PC is on Windows 7. When I doubleclick on the modpack, I get an error message saying it couldn't find a program to open modpack.

So I looked around the co8 forum and found the TFE-X version 4.7, and I think I installed it correctly in the C:\Temple of Elemental Evil folder. This time around when I double click on the modpack or the TFE-X, the TFE-X opens to the window where you can select the modpack or add-on to run. However, the only thing I see in the TFE-X window is the original Temple of Elemental Evil game program. How do I get the TFE-X to see the co8 modpack so that I can click on the Activate button to run it?

14. Gaear

Try renaming the download (the thing called 'Circle of Eight Modpack 8.1.0 Setup.exe') to something without any dots in it. Then double click it again.

15. bariumdose19

bariumdose19 Member

Thank you for responding. I renamed it to 'co8modpack' and then tried doubleclicking it. The TFE-X starts up as before but I still don't see the modpack in the list of modpacks/add-ons in the TFE-X window. Any other suggestions?

Our Host!