Newbie here: Confused about some things in the game!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by roshan, Jul 29, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. roshan

roshan Member

Hi, playing my first run through of TOEE, and of course doing it with the CO8 mod. I'm confused about some things in my game though:

1. I turned Cavanaugh into a beggar. However, I have the option of giving him gold, but can't ask him to join the party. Isn't he supposed to be recruitable at this point?

2. I completed the Trader's Courier quest, and also the Agent Revealed quest. I informed Rufus about the traders. However, when I go back to the traders, I have no new dialogue options. Shouldn't I be able to complete the Traders Revealed quest at this point?

3. It is night time, but I can't find Zert in the top floor of the inn?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to clear up these questions! :)

2. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

Re: #2

The quest won't complete until you do a few things after clearing the Moathouse and Moathouse dungeons. If you want a full reveal, say so. If you'd rather discover it yourself, remember that the guys in the trader's shop are EEEEEEVIL and are agents of the Temple. So, taking actions that let them know not only that you're on to them, but also are becoming a threat to the Temple directly will likely provoke a response.

3. chano

chano Established Member

1 : I will leave that one for someone else.

2 : if you do both quests you will get to the point where the traders refuse to deal with you.
    This might ruin another event that can be pretty cool.

3 : Zert is upstairs at daytime and downstairs to the right of the door at night

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

1. I think the next time you encounter him after giving him gold, he'll be drunk and will join you.

2. IIRC completing this involves taking a bribe from them, so if you already ratted them they won't cooperate.

3. Not sure if related, but be aware that you have to change maps for day/night transitions to take place.

5. roshan

roshan Member

Thank you for the replies! Will the next version of CO8 (Version 9?) have more new content?

6. chano

chano Established Member

Sadly it was announced that version 8 would be the last and that only bugfixing would be done in the future.
    We can always hope that they change their minds.

There is also the KOTB mod that might in the future contain some high level content, ShiningTed have started a thread about possible future NC.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

There wilp be spme minor new things like new random encounters, and some optional toggles to custom I ze the game

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

Re: #2 again, I think it can "complete" in a different way. Like, it might never end up showing as "completed" on your journal, but you'll complete it by default by taking...certain actions. Although, I think taking those actions actually ends up showing it as complete. I can't remember.

9. roshan

roshan Member

Hi everyone, is there any use for the silver breastplate? Any gameplay differences versus normal breastplates?

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

Might be weight or AC differences. Check the numbers. I don't think there's anything beyond that, though. Like, it's not as if a silver breastplate stops magic missiles whereas a black breastplate stops acid attacks or something.

11. chano

chano Established Member

if you only wear armor the silver one is more shiny, same stats

12. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

So it's like the brown, tan, and black leather armor differences: purely cosmetic.

13. roshan

roshan Member

Thanks! Another question - the halberd supposedly does piercing and slashing damage, how is this implemented in the game? Is your total damage 50% piercing and 50% slashing? Does it make sense to pick halberd over glaive or guisarme?

Also, which works better in the game - 1D10 glaive, or 2D4 guisarme?

14. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

All of the damage is both types at the same time.

No. In the game, for some reason, reach weapons can also strike at 5 foot distance, making them incredibly overpowered. Especially so with feats like Combat Reflexes and Great Cleave. So always go with the pole arm that has reach. I can't think why you would ever use a halberd in TOEE.

I always go with the Glaive over the Guisarme, Ranseur, or Spiked Chain for my reach weapon as it does 5.5 avg damage instead of 5.0 for the other three weapons, and it does slashing damage which is helpful early against creatures with damage reduction 5/slashing like zombies.

Arguments in favor of the other weapons are:
    - the 2d4 will curve away from rolling a lot of low rolls below 4.
    - the Spiked Chain (and Guisarme too I think, never used one) can also be used for tripping if you are into using trip.
    - there's a Holy Ranseur to be found early in the Temple levels which may swing in favor of focusing on that weapon.

15. chano

chano Established Member

There is also a holy spiked chain in the game

Our Host!