Point Buy System

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by headhunter, May 31, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. headhunter

headhunter Member

I like the point buy system, but does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the amount of points it gives you to play with?

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well there is the "all 18s" cheat, using this method you can make any stat between 8 and 18, before racial changes.

at the screen where you can role for points (basic) or use point buy system (advanced)
    go to the advanced screen and put (for example) strenght to 18
    click and drag the number 18 to the right and drop it about where the yellow boxes are in the basic screen, the 18 should disapear.
    go backto the basic screen you'll see the 18 in the yellow box
    go to the advanced screen and repeat (on different attributes)
    finally when you have you stats at the numbers that you want them at go back to basic screen and drop your numbers in the boxes like you rolled them.

3. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Wanna have 30, like in NWN? Or how many.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Beware of Drifter's l33t h4x0r skillz! ;)

5. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

The easiest way is like Cujo said. But you don't need to use it to give yourself all 18's. You can just use it to spend any amount of extra points. So if you want 30 point buy, spend 5 points, and then use the trick to reset your points back to 25.

And, actually, if you want to use less than 25 points, simply roll, go into point buy, spend as many points as you want, and then drag them to the roll area, and go assign your stats.

So, inadvertently, Troika allows you point buy with as many points as you want. Such forethought!

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i use that way for point swap. i roll up the stats i want but of course they arent always exact so i go in there and swap a point or 2 to get them closer to how i want them. also there is a way doing this that can give you a stat as high as 99. i did it once by accident, although mine was a 64 i tested and found you can get any number.

7. Keolander

Keolander Member

Greyhawk has a 28 point buy. That is from RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign setting, which has modules that are decidedly less monster intensive than The Temple of Elemental Evil. I see little reason for the CRPG version to be any different.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

lord_graywolfe...

how did you get 64?

9. headhunter

headhunter Member

Thanks tons for the help guys! I didn't even think to use the stat cheat to alter your points. :rock:

Postcount +1!!

10. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

Re: lord_graywolfe...

after you roll and you go to the point buy side to change them. if you click to the right where the stats from the rolled side would be it changes the stat to the number of what ever roll your on. i was on roll 64 when i found this out by accident. but it only seems to do it for one stat. others dropped when i clicked on them. some as low as 4.

11. Keolander

Keolander Member

::pokes the thread with a stick::

Hey, anyone know if there is a way to get at least 28 points (if not 32) for the point buy method? :grin:

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yes - but you have to cheat to get it, its using the "all 18s cheat' but instead you just use it to give yourself the extra 3/7 points.

Our Host!