reached weapons

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Cujo, Jun 1, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

After all the time I've spent playing ToEE I've never used weapons like the long spear etc, can someone explain how they work in ToEE and in D&D table top games, then I'll probably complain "that its not how it works in real life". For example, what is the best reached weapon and why? Advantages and disadvantages etc

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I use Meleny with the long spear, for reasons i don't fully remember but something about her being weak and fragile and druidic.

She can attack from the second rank - damn handy in corridors - basically she has a very wide attacking range (big circle, u know?). But if attacking from directly behind one of your front line tanks, the opponent will get the +4 to AC from cover bonus.

3. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

+4 to AC that it looks like it is not calculated in ToEE.
    I made some test with spiked chain and, when attacking there is no note of that factor.

4. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

Reach weapons are bugged in toee, a character using one shouldnt be able to make an attack if the enemy is right next to them.

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Normally reach weapons allow you to attack someone from 10' away rather than 5' and forces them to provoke an AOO if they try to close within 5' of you (barring things like tumble, 5' steps and Spring Attack). However, you can't attack anyone within 5' (unless you're using a Spiked Chain) with them.

In ToEE, you can attack opponents within 10' and 5' while using a reach weapon, which makes them a bit overpowered.

Did you check both your to-hit roll and the opponent's AC? I know it's implemented for missile weapons. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't for reach weapons.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

ok here's real life, using ideas from D&D, a reached weapon could be used to hit someone close to you, if you had a "close fighting" feat or something like that and do reduced damage (you try hiting your mate with a 6 foot pole when he's TWF daggers and within arms reach, you've got to think of new moves quick or lose).

7. asimpkins

asimpkins Member

Besides being able to attack at close range they also provide another unintended advantage. They also increase the range of any unarmed attacks you make -- like Trip Attack. I've heard this works for magic touch attacks as well, but I haven't personally confirmed it. This allows you to perform actions that would normally provoke an AoO out of range from your opponent's retaliations.

(I know that some reach weapons are trip weapons in 3.5 and can be used to make trip attacks, but in ToEE all trip attacks are made unarmed. You can trip attack while holding any weapon -- but you cannot trip attack with a weapon. Nevertheless, you can still use the extended range of a reach weapon even though your are really making an unarmed attack.)

8. headhunter

headhunter Member

IIRC, PnP D&D already reduces damage the way you describe, albeit indirectly, by giving reached weapons a penalty to hit things in "normal" combat range. Maybe someone can confirm that.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I rechecked this with the long spear, it definitely grants the +4 AC bonus if attacking from behind someone else. May not be the case with the spiked chain: that may be why it is a more popular weapon (or so it seems).

10. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Hmmm. probably I was wrong then.
    But still... isn't there a solution for ranged weapons? It would be great if they would give AOO only when attacking a closed enemy, but I'm afraid that creatures with natural range would take advantage from this even if they shouldn't.

Our Host!