Move and Ready with Attack for BAB+1

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Leonine, Jun 27, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Leonine

Leonine Member

Hello and thank you for all the incredible work you've done saving what is (despite it's flaws) pretty much the most accurate computer simulation of D&D 3.5 (with a classic V1 module!)

I hand converted the original Temple to run with 3.0 PnP as soon as it came out, so...

I'm a rules buff (mostly DM) and love the tactical options available, bringing me to a small problem that I've not tracked down as mentioned in the threads:

Provided my BAB is +1 or greater (level 1 Fighter, etc. or level 2 Anything) as part of a standard action I should be able to ready a weapon as part of movement, thus still allowing an attack and movement that round.

Example: I should be able to throw a javelin, move 20' to put myself in melee range (for full attack options next round), while drawing my sword (before, as or after I approach). Both PHB (right in front of me) AND the Troika included manual state "Draw a weapon (w >= BAB +1) combined with regular move as a move action (standard action typically includes attack action AND a move action).

However, whenever I ready (not switch, because sheathing is slower and does use the move action, but actually ready a weapon to an empty hand, say after throwing or dropping something) it takes a full half movement bar away if I've done nothing else yet. If I've already attacked (say thrown) or moved at all it takes all remaining but a 5'step.

So Is there an interface way to do this (exactly how, step by step)? Or is this a difference between ToEE and PnP despite the manual saying otherwise? Pleased to note the threads say quickdraw works well (chucking dual rangers) but I'm talking standard no feat action here.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hi Leonine and welcome to the forum.

TOEE considers equipping a weapon as a move action unless you have the quickdraw feet, (as you stated).

When you say, throw a javelin, what you are actually doing in TOEE is attacking with an equipped javelin and to move and equip another weapon, (draw longsword which in TOEE you wouldn't be drawing it but equipping it from your inventory) would be a move action thus leaving you with no actions left that turn.

I understand you have attempted to have the weapon already equipped in the off hand, but once again due to TOEE's engine limitations, switching from one hand to another is seen as un-equipping it from one hand and re-equipping it in the other hand.

In a PnP session when switching weapons you most likely would claim to drop the first weapon and then draw the second, but that option too is not available unfortunately.

3. Leonine

Leonine Member

Ok TY. I can stop trying to make fetch' happen now I know it is a change from PnP rules. Still, miss the Roman style throw javelins, draw swords, advance!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. sirchet

Was that Roman or Greek? I tend to get my timelines confused. ;)

5. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Roman - good luck trying to throw a Greek spear, they were 8 feet long (and sometimes 12 or more)

6. sirchet

Weren't Spartans considered Greek and didn't they use a one handed spear with a shield?

Again, I might have them confused with another.

7. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

Good Morning to ye Sir Sirchet!

What you're thinking of is a Roman "Pilum", a javelin type weapon that was designed to punch through and disable an opponent's shield.

Very nasty piece of work, standard Roman Infantry weapon.

TomtheFormerRomanReinactorFighter

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

To expand a bit on what Tom wrote:

The Romans were the ones who made a standard practice of hurling 1-2 pila (pilum = singular) at enemies, then drawing a gladius for close-in formation combat. The pilum was designed with a heavy haft and soft 2' (or so) tip which could pierce and enemy shield and either wound/kill the enemy, or at least make their shield so unwieldy that they'd have to drop it, leaving the enemies open to sword thrusts and cuts by the relatively short gladius.

You may be thinking of hoplites, which weren't unique to Sparta (although Sparta's army was unique in that it was a professional, standing army that drilled during peacetime). Hoplites used the 8' (or longer) spear primarily, but did carry a short sword. The sword was really only used if the spear was rendered unusable. From what I understand, it wasn't standard military doctrine to hurl the spear and switch to the sword the way the Romans did.

Again, as I understand it, Roman tactics developed partially in response to what became fairly standard tactics used by the Greeks, and a need to breach otherwise difficult-to-penetrate shield walls of enemy formations.

9. oneeyed

oneeyed Member

Solo4114 is right but I'll add that the pilum was designed to bend at the end so once it pierced a shield it couldn't be dislodged easily so the warrior either had to abandon the shield or continue to rush with the pilum still embedded; at the high risk of it becoming very dangerous and harming the wearer when bumping into the romans. On both accounts it was a win for the roman side. It truly was a nasty counter to a shield rush.

Spears were still used by romans depending on the period. It was common on all lines of infantry before the gladius became the standard infantry weapon; and later on it was specifically used by the lines at the back. This spear called hasta wasn't for throwing but for thrusting, and could reach where the small gladius couldn't.

10. sirchet

On a side note; the American Army still trains every soldier to use a spear today, (although we call it "fixing bayonets").

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  11. Leonine

Leonine Member

As an added bonus, the pilums soft neck meant the head was usually to bent to be thrown back at the Romans, but their smiths would fix them after battle.

Saw this had already been discussed, but spring attack is not per PnP. You seem to.draw AoO from target, I was able to execute it simply by clicking foe, had movement left after attack. Only got it as pre-whirlwind, but thought I would confirm the (likely not fixable) issue.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Even though Rome conquered Greece, I'm told a legion never took a phalanx in a fair fight. No idea if that's true.

Leonine: Spring Attack does not sound like something we can currently fix, but can you confirm your Spring Attacker was not wearing heavy armour?

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

The Greek phalanx was still functional when the Romans took over. The phalanx was an unwieldy formation that was easily dealt with by a Roman maniple. Through history, shielded swordsman have an advantage over spearmen once they are at melee range. In fact, Greek hoplites and Roman legionaries were similarly equipped inside spear range: short swords, armor and shields.

Spears and pikes were in common use up until the 17th century. Crossbowman and early firearms users would routinely be protected by pikemen. These were replaced, as Sirchet notes, by bayonets on the end of longarms for a couple more centuries, until the demise of the use of the horse on the battlefield.

The concept of a fair fight is a silly thought. If a fight was fair, someone wasn't prepared. ;)

14. sirchet

IMHO the only "Fair Fight" is one not fought. :)

15. Leonine

Leonine Member

I can confirm it was a light armour barbarian fighter with a reach weapon vs a reach foe when I drew an AoO on withdrawal. I'll try non reach later to see.

Regardibg lesser bracers of archery: my bard gets the +1 with her shortbow ok, but is not granted profficiency with longbow. If I equip one its red and -4. Little sad because I wanted to get her a higher strength longbow than shortbow can provide.

Our Host!