Choice of quests? Spoilers

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by crpgnut, Jun 30, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

chano, you will find a list of all of the potential quests in the game by viewing the following file (using a text editing program such as Notepad) within your game folder (I say "potential" quests because some of the quests may not be implemented in the game yet):

\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\mes\gamequestlog.mes

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ted, I found the
    boots on poles
    , I'm just not sure what to do with them. Everything I've tried so far has come to naught...

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Can't find Castillian

Can someone tell me if this is right or bugged, before I continue on and commit more time to this...

So I get the letter/pass from the merchant guildmaster, and then the Bailiff even signs the back. I want to see the Castillian to get a trade arrangement between the Keep and Lord Axer, and this letter is apparently enough to get me into the Inner keep by Brennan the gate guard.

Once inside I'm pretty much free to wander around anywhere, and even pick up the death book for Flay, but during the wandering I can't find the Castillian, and noone talks to me. The advisor says nothing to me , the Lance Corporal nothing, the Cavalry Master nothing much. Occasionally a guard will stop me and tell me the letter isn't enough to be in there (even though it is now signed by the Bailiff), and from there I have to give an excuse about masterwork weapons for the Bailiff to avoid jail or combat.
    Am I on the right track that just needs another piece to the puzzle, or is there a bug?

4. chano

chano Established Member

Thanks Gazra:thumbsup:

5. silo25

silo25 Established Member

trying KOTB as a solo monk wish me luck!!

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

@ Daryk: if you have advanced a quest for the Bailiff, go tell him, he generally has help for the next bit.

@ Marc: ok... you sound like you are getting two quests mixed up (or the game is mixing them up). That's a pity because they are the two best quests in the game (except maybe the Flay story arc which is also very cool). So:

- the letter from the Master of the Merchant's Guild: did you steal it or did he give it to you? Because if the Bailiff then signed the back, you should be on a quest for The Master.
    To find out what happened to the missing caravans - sort of the civilian flip-side to the Raider quest
    . I am not at my modding computer right now but basically there's about 8 steps to that quest that you have to do in order around the Keep, and to see where you are up to, check your Ink, Quill and Parchment journal (you all bought one from Geoffrey, right? ;))

- the other quest for Axer is completely separate. To 'finish' that, simply
    speak to the Master at length, then go back and tell Axer what happened.
    I call it one of the best quests because imho it has some of the best dialogue, not because it's complicated or anything. Come to think of it...
    I didn't advance it past telling Axer, so the Castellan is irrelevant at this point. Something for 2.0 :)

Feel free to post a save game, btw, so I can see what's what, and check if there is a bug in there anywhere.

Has anyone gone to the Caves, out of curiosity? No-one has mentioned them...

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I'm still running around looking for things to put in a chest so I can talk to Franken-gobbo's master. :p

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

sirchet, your launch issues mysteriously resolved?

9. marc1967

I got the Master's letter legally, he gave it to me. Next the Bailiff signed it, then the Corporal led me to the Scribe, then to the Cavalry Master, which led me to the Curate, which is where things died.

I was almost sure there would be a continuation with the Curate, so I... :) checked out the Curates DLG file, and it seems there's a bug in getting his response IF you have already met him before. Entries {203} and {204} have an extra open parenthesis right after the variable 'npc' in the conditional call which disrupts the flow of the dialog and prevents the line from appearing where you can ask him about the blessing.

Code:
    {not get_1(npc()} 
    I believe this means that particular quest is roadblocked if you already talked to the curate earlier. But now I'm moving along with the quest just fine. Had to debug with blinders on so as to no spoil anything.

[more spoiler]
    I love experiencing my own prejudices while running the quest.

"Ah Ha! It's that rude Corporal, I knew it!... Oh nevermind."
    "Ah Ha! It's that gentle brainy scribe, I knew it, it's always the quiet ones!... Oh nevermind."
    "Ah Ha! It's that Pompous cleric, I knew it!... Oh nevermind."

And yep, I bought the parchment, but not till my 2nd run through. I was just curious and now I see it's value.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  10. Zoroastre

Zoroastre Member

SPOILER

I chose the dragon quest with the lizardman, but now can't find any clues for the adventurers quest, I've searched the whole map hitting <tab>, there's the door at the bottom that leads back to the world map, I've also found the precious stone stash but nothing else... tired of looking, can someone give me a clue?

many thanks.

11. crpgnut

crpgnut Member

I've been to the caves with the dwarf in the pub and cleared up his problem, though I get nothing as a reward from the dwarves. The critters had a couple magic items though, so no biggie. I then went to the next section and killed something gray and something I could barely give a hoot about :) These two fights leveled me to level 2. I then did the spider forest and the cave, though I haven't entered the secret area se of the momma spider yet. If you enter that one before giving her the item she seeks, you miss out on a quest, though no exp, if I recall.

I played town sewers, then help dwarf in the cave, then the next cave, then spiders, the merchant hole and then Billy. That should be vague enough. I've dropped the dwarf NPC so I get more xp and I'm doing the lizards and their nemesis next. I just leveled up to 3, so I might be level 4 when I face the lizards' foe. Having a blast.

Possible bug: If you attempt to heal the lady dwarf, it acts like you're attacking her and the dwarves, including the dude in your party go hostile. I didn't try killing them, because I'm playing good.

I still don't know if Flay is a bad guy, but he's definitely not good. My paladin thinks he's evil, my cleric is dubious and the rest of the party don't really care. He's paying the bills :)

12. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Zoroastre, Shiningted already gave you the clues that you need in order to get back on the trail of the missing adventurers (in post #7 of this thread):

Originally posted by Shiningted:
    I believe that Shiningted is implying (or is the correct word "inferring"?) that Lord Axer (at the Thorp of Lord Axer) might give you some information about the whereabouts of the missing adventurers (if you can't find the clue in the lizardmen cave).

13. marc1967

Whenever I search a room there are 4 ways to find things, and I usually do all 4 of them before leaving an apparently empty room:

1) Search (concentrated), from the radial menu (I have this set to 'S' for ease)
    2) Secret Door Search Tool, from the radial menu (I have this set to 'Z' for ease)
    3) Hover over the area with the mouse and look for containers
    4) Tap the TAB key and look for things lying around

14. subzeroclassic

subzeroclassic Member

Zoroastre,

spoiler

try to click on rock-painting in lizards cave

spoiler

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

@ Marc - nice pickup, I love a player who fixes their own bugs ;)

@ Gazra - you inferred correctly, I'm implying. That's the sort of thing I expect you to pick up :p And yes (@ Zoroastre) the door in the south doesn't just take you to the worldmap, it puts the Thorp on there if not already, and Axer (in a fairly obscure dialogue branch) will help you on your way.

@ CRPGNut, if that's a bug re the Dwarf(ess), it's probably not one we can fix. I thought healing spells didn't make critters go hostile, but otherwise, every spell does. I tried long and hard to set up a spell that could be cast without making the target hostile when I did Modify Memory, and in the end I gave up and made it AoE.

@ Sirchet - wondering about your install myself ;) Of the scavenger hunt items, 8 can be found in and around the Tower (ie only 2 require you to hunt in the wide world).

EDIT: Curses, the Paladin's Holy Symbol didn't make it in! Dagnabit. Players with Paladins, feel free to give 12902 but type that very carefully! (CRPGNut, that should settle the Flay question. Sort of ;))

Speaking of ornaments, have people been getting the Bailiff's medal to stop the Watch annoying you about drawn weapons?

Our Host!