Portraits needing webspace

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Aes, Sep 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Aes

Aes Member

I'm hard at work converting some old NWN portrait packs (Specifically: The BG, BG2, IWD and IWD2 portrait packs) to 32-bit TGA files in the various sizes needed to have them work in ToEE (along with a nifty batch file to install them via JHunz portrait wizard). However, glancing at the size of my /portraits directory now and performing a little mental arithmetics, it would seem the final pack (unzipped) will weigh in at around 30 megs for 137 PC portraits.

I'll probably be able to squeeze it down to somewhere between 10 and 20 megs with WinRAR, but I'll still need a place to throw it up when it's done. Any suggestions?

2. Dan

Dan Brahmin Beholder Veteran

Well, if you squeeze it to 10-20 megas, I woulnd't mind you e-mailing it to me.

I could then upload them to the Circle Of Eight ftp.

3. PlatinumWeaver

PlatinumWeaver Member

I'm sending you a privatemessage with some login details for my webhost's FTP. I've made an account for the group.. anyone else that wants access, give me a yell...

{edit} Well, I would PM you but you've switched off that feature on your account... {/edit}

4. Trystan

Trystan Member

Webspace.

I'll be happy to host any files as needed. I have plenty of bandwidth and plenty of disk space on my host, as well as a good speed.

Drop me a mail at bmschkerke@charter.net or brian@schkerke.com and I'll arrange for credentials for you to upload.

Trystan

5. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Hold on a sec.. There's no way we can expect people to grab 30 megs in one setting..

We should make "Portrait Packs" of about 5 megs each

If there's any way you could also export these tgas to Jpeg, I could create quick HTML page display all the portraits in a given "pack", then people don't have to grab 30 megs worth.. If the only want a few new portraits..

6. Aes

Aes Member

Well, I suppose I could split it into smaller .rars easily enough. Mind you, with the portion of people on broadband these days, splitting a 10-20mb file seems rather redundant if you ask me.

As for the jpg previews. It is definately doable, but NOT by me. I've finished the batch file and 3 PSDs of the various pixel sizes. Now comes the sloooooooow task of using the "copy, paste, merge, copy, paste, merge, copy, paste, merge, copy merged, paste, merge, copy merged, paste, merged, save as, index, save as, index, save as, index, save as, index, save as, index, flip layers" shortcuts 137 times. I figure that by the time I'm done (up to portrait #30 and counting. I ran a test of installing portraits 1-20 that worked well), my mind is going to be far too numb to go through the bother of 137 x save for web and writing a HTML page to display them all.

Also, thanks for the offers of hosting. I've a server of my own as well, but it has a terribly low bandwidth limit. As soon as I manage to finish all the portraits (sometime tonight I should hope), I'll upload it to my own FTP and send a mail with the addy for those who want to mirror it for others.

*scurries back to his coffee and photoshop*

7. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Well, that is a point, most people do have broadband..

If we can't make some gallery of portraits easily.. lets not bother splitting them up..

8. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

whoa whoa whoa.. :)

I've been talking to Chris Glenn @ Troika about a bug I and another person noticed when adding portraits...

When you add more than 5, the scroll bar doesn't scale, and you can't see the 6th, 7th, etc portraits you've added.

Chris said that Steve has fixed it, and they're waiting on the patch release.

So, until them, we can only add 5 "new" portraits. We can replace existing ones... but, there's still the cap.

9. Aes

Aes Member

So I noticed, heh... At my 100th converted portrait and wanted to test when I noticed the window stops keeping track after 63.

Ah well. Until the patch comes out, I suppose an actual portrait pack is rather redundant. I'll convert the last 37 pictures if/when the scroll bar scales. :]

Our Host!