The Single Class Challenge Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, May 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Sorry, but they don't. Clerics ARE strong, no doubt, but they must cast spells to be more effective in a fight than a fighter, spells that may be dispelled and that last very few time. I really prefer a party member that does what he do with or without magic and forever, not for few seconds only.

2. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

My Wizard group has entered the temple and smoked the tower; however, the foes inside are requiring more fireballs than I find reasonable. "Random battles" from resting are ridiculous - 8 ogres?!

-EE

3. 0rion79

Extremely bored, waiting for Livonya's 2.0 (where is Liv? She disappeared from the forum! :p), I made a bards party and, even if the beinning was hard, now I'm playing effectively after that I obtained level 2 spells.
    I encountered the following problem: since high charisma is needed to level-up as bard, it is a pain in the butt to assign nice scores to bards out of the role. Making a warrior-like bard was really hard but I did. Unfortunately, it was impossible to take half orcs or dwarves because of the carisma matter and, to obtain higly-specialized characters, it was necessary to keep 8-scores. Ie: my archer had CON 6 because he was elf and all oriented to strenght and dexterity, so that he can be a decent archer.
    The game is really hard, but now I'm cleaning up the moathouse sucesfully, after killing the giant and, thanks to feats that otherwise I would never use, like skillfocus and nimble fingers, joined to spells that pumps ability scores and "inspire competence", I'm having no problems at all in dungeon crawling.
    Ah, some tips: around the game in the early stages, there is an healing potion that will heal Bing like a scroll. The charm animal scroll and the Ray of Enfeeblement were extremely useful in the fight against the giant, where I first charmed the bear, that killed the giant that was weakened by the ray and kept busy from the fungus figurine :)
    Except monks, that would be very boring, I think that the bard team is the only possible choiche since....
    - paladins, clerics and druids may heal themselves but have really too few skillpoints to be decent thieves, absolutely needed in the game since it is not possible to break containers (ahhh.... bad troika guys!) and there are too many useful items in them.
    - fighters, rogues and barbarians can't heal themselves and I can't image a game where the player spends months in a tavern or uses all cash to buy healing potions to cure the party.
    - rangers may be great but they get healing spells too late
    - wizards and sorcerers should kill enemies before being involved in a closed combat fight (difficult) and can't heal themselves.

4. 0rion79

D'oh! I Just red again the instructions and I saw that rolling scores IS allowed! :s But after all, I love my honest party :)

5. stormbard

stormbard Member

Thanks for the heal potion tip, I forgot about that one, now maybe I can finish that series of quests and reach those elusive (for me) level two spells. skill focus & nimble fingers are a good idea, when creating my party I seemed to have concentrated on combat feats, but will seriously consider them when I level up.
    My next big challenge is surely going to be springing the rainbow rock trap, those damn skeletons laugh at my bards' pitiful spells, but I do like challenges, and so do my morning stars.
    Cheers for the help, and it's good to know things should get a little better with perseverance.
    Good gaming

6. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Soloed with point-bought parties of Mages a few times. So long as I took the time to Scribe it was fairly easy. Five sleep spells will win many early fights, webs and magic missiles take the mid-range combats, Stinking Clouds and Fireballs take the level 5-6 fights, and then it's back to Magic Missiles (with spell penetration and greater spell penetration), Summon Monster, and a few others here and there for the end fights.

All Barbarian or All Fighter parties are harder for me, at least in the early combats.

An all Druid party killed its way through the game in record time, with five Animal Companions froming a furry shield wall and the druids mixing buffs and long-spears. It was easier to win with them than the All Cleric party I tried, but then I mixed cleric types more than I should.

I need a new game. ;)

7. headhunter

headhunter Member

Ew, all bards. Reminds me of the good old days when I set out on a game of Dark Sun, with a party of halfling water-clerics... :roll:

I play ToEE with a friend a lot, so we came up with our own little challenge - each person gets one character. We just finished the game, with him using a half-orc barbarian/fighter, tank style character, and me using a rogue with a healthy spot of fighter, melee assassin style character.

It was nice to play the game with a bit of challenge again, and we managed quite nicely, despite rampaging through most of it quite mindlessly. At some point we decided to allow creation of temporary mage characters at current party level in order to allow crafting, but of course we paid for it with our own gold, etc.

Fun stuff.

Our Host!