Bard bugs - request for status / fixing help

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Hazelnut, Aug 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

I'd like to talk about Bards since my new evil party is lead by a beautiful female bard who is utterly selfish and hence neutral evil. She's practically bewitched her three poor male companions who would cut out their own hearts if she asked them to.

Anyway, I've been testing out the bard level progression using the console since I'm trying to decide whether to multi to sorc or not. (as I plan to get as near to lvl 20 as possible with this party) I decided to have a play with the bards' abilites to see what I thought the potential was. Looks to me like there are the following bugs with Bards. (ToEE patch 2, Co8 5.0.1 - fixes dated 20/8)

1) Bards don't get a new bardic music at level 6. ToEE should give intimidate, even though the SRD says it should be suggestion. (just like the spell) Has anyone ever seen this musical ability on the radial menu, and did it work? The only thing I can think is that maybe I need a masterwork instrument or something. I've tried it with max ranks of perform at level 20, and still nothing.

2) Inspire courage doesn't appear to get and extra +1 at level 8. (making the bonuses +2) In fact it still only gives +1 at level 20!!! (It also doesn't stack with bless which is rather annoying! I guess this is per the rules, I can't quite figure it from the SRD.)

3) Fascinate only ever works against a single target, when you're meant to be able to add an additional target for every three levels above lvl 1.

4) Inspire Greatness does pop up on the radial menu at level 10 (once you get 13 levels of perform) but it seems to do nothing more than add a new flag to the char portrait, saying Inspire Greatness, every 6 seconds. And that's it. No extra bonuses for hit rolls, fortitude checks or extra hit dice. So a bard's top musical skill in the game doesn't work! :yikes: Oh, and the musical particle animation stays permanently too. :dizzy: (EDIT: it disapeared when I quit and loaded the save)

Wow, just wow, as if the bard didn't have enough problems being such a generalist anyway. At least the bard can get to level 20 now that some of the higher levels spells have been added. That's something at least.

So, has anyone done anything on fixing these problems in the past - maybe some incomplete work or plans?

If not, can anyone give their opinions about what it would require to fix any of these issues? Do Abilities like bardic music require dll changes to sort out?

I'd like to at least add the missing level 6 music, performing suggestion rather than intimidate preferably.

Any help or info will be appreciated because I am still new to this stuff. :joy:

Cheers

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

All the bugs you mentioned would indeed require a .dll hack to fix.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Both Bless and Inspire Courage grant Morale bonuses. Two bonuses with the same name do not stack (with the exception of Dodge bonuses.)

4. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

The game was designed for a maximum of 10th level. It's very understandable that there are bugs with things, or things missing entirely that happen beyond that level. 11th level is a good point to multi-class in TOEE if you haven't allready.

5. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Kalshane - thanks for the clarification, I was pretty sure it was kosher, but it's still annoying nevertheless.. hehe ;)

Jerry - did you read my post? :scratchhe All of the bugs I describe happen within the 10 level original limit, so they really should work. I guess we'll all just have to wait for our resident dll genius, Spellslinger, to get round to fixing Bards. That may not be too long though at the rate he's currently cranking out the fixes. :mrhappy:

6. pippetta

pippetta Member

Hazelnut ... u forgot that Bards doesn't get the damed bonus spells with cha 16 +

Just hope Spellslinger can do somethnk abaut that!!!!

7. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

I didn't forget, I just hadn't noticed... not having used a cloak of charisma with my bard yet. I've been modding rather than playing for the last couple of weeks - but my Monk's Belt is nearly done, so if you play a Monk you have something to look forward to. ;)

8. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I just concluded some brief testing and here are my conclusions.
    1. Intimidate and/or suggestion while a creature is fascinated aren't implemented in toee
    2. Inspire courage now works at +4 at 20th level as of co8 8.01
    3. True, but you can use it during combat unlike pnp
    4. Inspire greatness is as you state with the following observations:
    Inspire greatness adds a tag and particle effect but adds no combat bonuses.
    The particle effect is permanent on other party members but will disappear from the bard after rest. If you sing inspire courage before singing inspire greatness than hovering over your pc icon you will see two greatness tags instead of courage and greatness and will receive only the combat bonus from greatness.

The only working bard songs are inspire courage which scales to +4 at 20th and inspire competence which gives a +2 to skills.

9. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Playing through 8.0.1 Standard with a Male Dwarf Bard (NG character and party), and the character did not receive Inspire Competence at level 3 as he should.

The character has 6 ranks in Perform (+3 from ability modifier for 9 overall).

(He does also still have the three bardic music abilities that he came with at first level.)

10. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Replying to myself, the Dwarf Bard did receive Inspire Competence upon reaching level 4.

11. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Actually, level is not a requirement for Bardic song abilities in ToEE. It is all based on skill points. Simply multi-class a 1st or 2nd level bard with rogue and max Perform. The only problem with this is the character would only have one usage per day as this is based on class level.

I can confirm that this is NOT the case with Inspire Greatness. One may actually need the class levels for that one, but it is broken, right?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
Our Host!