bard song bug? (or nightmare?)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by stormbard, Jun 22, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. stormbard

stormbard Member

Hi there, I've got a major problem with my bards in my all-bard party. they are all at level 9, and none of them has the intimidate or inspire greatness bard songs! I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to why this might be so. thanks

2. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

intimidate? Fasinate, maybe.....
    hemm.... sorry: did you spend enough points in perform skill? This is the most obvious question.

3. stormbard

stormbard Member

All my bards have a perform skill of 14 or higher, and they only need 9 or more for intimidate and 12 or more for inspire greatness. I noticed that in the manual it says "a bard of 9th or 10th level..." can gain inspire greatness. What is it that determines the 9th or 10th difference, as this may be a factor, but doesn't explain the 'intimidate' song loss, and other games I've played my bard got her 'greatness' at level 9.
    Thanks for the help mate

4. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

In my last game, my bard maxed out his Perform skill and reached level 12 (Patch 1, 2, latest Co8 patch and Livonia's 1.5.1). He did receive Inspire Greatness around level 9, but he never received Intimidate; I think it may be a feature in the manual but not in the game.

Inspire Greatness never seemed to do anything other than put an icon on the character; not sure why, or if others have run into that.

5. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Be careful you're not confusing the total modifier for perform with the number of ranks in perform. The highest that can possibly be at level 9 is 12, and that's what's needed for inspire greatness. Also, it says level 9 or 10 in the manual in the same way it says 6th level or higher for suggestion. The manual, remember, thinks the maximum level is 10, so those are the two levels at which you can have inspire greatness. That is, 9 or higher = 9 or 10. Double-check your ranks, and I'm sure you'll find most/all of your party is below 12.

The manual says you get "intimidate", but according to 3.5 there is no intimidate song, but rather a "suggestion" song. Do you have that? If so, I'd say they switched something somewhere and confused themselves.

6. 0rion79

Stormbard, all my bards gain inspire greatness, that have almost the same effects of inspire courage but it is much more powerful and works on 1 PC only, and fascinate. I don't know why yours don't get it but I may suppose that it is because you're looking at perform skill totals and not the points that you spent into them. At least 12 are required. Only the effective points invested in that skill, together with the bardic level, will unlock inspire greatness at 9th

7. stormbard

stormbard Member

All my PC's have 12 ranks in perform, sorry for the confusing last post, it was getting late.
    I tried using the console to level up one of them to level 10, with 13 in perform, and still no inspire greatness. It's never been a problem before, for myself or seemingly anyone else, so I think I'll just put it down to one of those bugs that appear for no apparent reason. Pity though, I've always found it very useful.
    Anyway, thanks all, and if you think of anything let me know ok.

8. 0rion79

Oh, it is a bug. But I have only one answer: take all your bard's items, go to the pub in homelet,kick him out from party, have him to re-enter from level 1 and use the console to give him his Xps back. If it doesnt' work, try with a new-made bard. I don't know how lese I may help you

9. stormbard

stormbard Member

Thanks Orion, I did as you suggested, but the new characters also can't get the song, so it must be something amiss with my install. Oh well, my bards are doing great anyway, and I've come to revere the charm spells, it's a great feeling when a hill giant or ogre is under your spell, wreaking havoc in your name. It's the most fun I've had since I first played, so one bug's a small price to pay !

10. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I just level-up a bard with max perform and the bard gets inspire greatness when they level up at 10th level instead of 9th as pnp (must be because of the coding that checks at levelup).

Also,
    Inspire greatness is bugged as to be unusable in my quick testing. It seems the script bugs out after casting it on the first person who keeps getting instances of it.

However, inspire competence and inspire courage work as intended. I was impressed to see the bonus from courage max out at +4 at 20th level.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  11. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Just so you guys know:

(from the srd20)

Inspire greatness only is applicable to 1 character at any given moment.

Maybe - and this is a bit far fetched- you are hampered by something you carry. Have you tried dumping everything on the ground except for your instrument?

Also, for the "suggestion" to work, the target should already be fascinated.

Our Host!