Help! TOEE cant start from TFE-X

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by svefred2, Feb 18, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. svefred2

svefred2 Member

Installed toee from GOG.
    Installed modpack V.8.0 in C:gog/toee
    Using Norton Antivirus and toee.exe is on exceptionlist
    Running Vista as Admin
    Have done every step in the troubleshooting-guide

When i want to start the game it immediately gives me an error message saying it cant start the game and that details about the error can be found in the error log.
    I have tried with both new content and original version

1: anyone had this problem and know the solution?
    2 : where can i find the error log?

Btw: running toee without TFE-X works just fine...

2. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

did you activate the mod in the Front end?

3. battch

battch Member

I have the same problem/experience as the OP.

Unfortunately I'm not very savvy, Chad, but what does "activate on the front end" mean and how do I do it? Please give directions like you're speaking to a small, dumb child. Very detailed and explicit.

Thanks for your help.

4. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

The toee front end is the program you install to run toee out of. I am also technically challenged but if youread the forest part of garza's Walkthrough sticky it has some great instruction. You can avoid spoilers by using the chapters at the beginning to search for installation instructions.

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Chad878262 means run TFE-X, then click on the Circle of Eight Modpack 8.0.0 module to select it, then click on the "Activate" button at the bottom of the TFE-X interface in order to make the Circle of Eight Modpack 8.0.0 the currently active module:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. svefred2

svefred2 Member

Yes, activated first the NC and when this wouldnt run i activated the other. Same result...:sadblinky

If i could locate the error log i could show you the specific problem...
    Where will it appear?

7. silo25

silo25 Established Member

i can run the game from the toee.exe and it loads the modpack without going through the front end

8. svefred2

svefred2 Member

How can i tell which version has been loaded when i run the game from toee.exe?

9. outdrack

outdrack Member

Assuming you install Co8, when the loading screen comes up, it should have a date on the bottom of
    the title "circle of eight modpack", it should have a date, that date should be the date where the verision of the mod you install release

That's how I tell, anyway

10. svefred2

svefred2 Member

Ok, solved the problem :)
    I am logged in as Admin on my computer and i assumed that when i ran the program i would be running as an admin... however, rightclicking on the modpack icon and selecting "run as admin" solved the problem. No error message and the game loaded just fine when i clicked "play" :yes:
    Of course, it crashed after a while in Hommlet, and sadly i had forgotten to save after equipping my guys:sadblinky
    Well, lesson learned - save often:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The Co8 Guide to Successful Gaming with ToEE

Here are some helpful tips to ensure that your ToEE gaming experience is as smooth and problem-free as possible. Learn them, know them, live them, and hold them close to your heart.

Run as administrator, if you're using Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

Do not install ToEE to the Program Files folder, if you're using Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. These operating systems oftentimes have issues with allowing access to files in the Program Files folder and its sub folders, and the Co8 modpack needs access to the game files in order to install and run properly. So instead, install to a custom location like C:/ToEE.

Do not attempt to use saves across modules. (e.g., do not use v6.0.0 saves with v8.0.0.) They are NOT compatible.

Set your video card to a 'no scaling' setting for video playback. This will make in-game videos play at their original resolution. Some systems experience game crashes when they try to scale ToEE's videos to fit the monitor.

Do not play at a resolution greater than 1680 x 1050. The highest resolution reliably supported by ToEE is 1680 x 1050.

Do not use quicksaves with ToEE. They corrupt easily. Instead, use an array of at least 5 regular saves while playing ToEE, overwriting each in turn. This practice should ensure that you have a good save to go back to if one becomes corrupt.

Do not save during combat. This also runs a greater risk of save corruption.

Do not play in Ironman mode. Save corruption is a fact of life with ToEE, and if your Ironman save becomes corrupt, you're finished. If you want an Ironman-style game, it's best to simply play Ironman-style in a regular game.

Do not use autosave on map change with ToEE. Using this feature will break certain scripts in ToEE. It is set to 'off' by default in the Co8 modpack.

Do not install the moebius2778 temple.dll independantly. This file has been heavily modded since moebius2778's day at Co8, and moebius' fixes are included in the current version. If you overwrite the current version with the moebius version, you will be 'undoing' a great many fixes. Do not install it separately.

Do not put an NPC in the left-most position in the party queue along the bottom of the screen. This can cause a variety of problems, such as quests not updating properly or even appearing in your logbook at all.

Do not use Scather or Fragarach in the Fire Node or the Fire Temple. You will likely experience the endless AoO loop, and you will be very sad.

This is taken verbatim from "CIRCLE OF EIGHT MODPACK EXPLAINED" thread.

This thread and gazra_1970's TOEE Guide and Walk Through can and will answer most questions asked. It's a really good place to start when having trouble, or just wanting to avoid having trouble running the Modpack. :)

Our Host!