Early Game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by outdrack, Feb 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. outdrack

outdrack Member

Hi, again? I finally got this mod working and I was wondering...

Is the early game always like this, where the whole combat is mostly left to chance. Because I fought this ogre in the moat house multiple time, I have to constantly save and reload until I got lucky. (Using 8.0, whole party ~lvl2)

Im kinda new to this, and I was wondering if there is anyway to go around this.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The battles and the difficulty of them has a great deal to do with your party make up and the tactics used in the fight.

A simple level one spell can put an ogre on his rump while he gets clobbered by a couple of melee characters, but like I said before ..... many builds and many tactics.

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I always use the "big ogre, small doorway" tactic there. Bows are your friend!

4. G3N13

G3N13 Member

You can also run away and fight another day.

That is, if a fight is too tough, go to a 'safer' area, prepare better set of spells, obtain better gear or even level up.

Reaching level 3 before tackling difficult areas early game makes a huge difference.

Or you could always just apply more grease... ;)

5. outdrack

outdrack Member

If you mean sleep, which is the only spell I have that is capable of doing that, it doesn't work for some reason :(

I made it though without much loss on my second try (bunch of lucky misses), just wondering that how much dice dependent at this point of the game is

Gonna try grease though

Not enough bows at the time :(

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

That ogre, especially when raging, is a tough melee encounter at low level. You could trigger the encounter, back out of the room and skip turns until his Rage dissipates, which will make him less likely to clobber you as thoroughly. And it only takes one character with a bow thru the doorway. There is a crossbow in a chest upstairs (with the giant lizard) if you need one.
    The ogre probably has too many hit dice for sleep to affect him.
    How do you defeat the bandits upstairs? That Raging Bandit Leader is at least as tough as the ogre.

7. sirchet

I was talking about grease, it will prove effective even later against higher level foes.

8. outdrack

outdrack Member

51 damage in crit :p
    Doesn't stand against the might of double grease though

this game is pretty dice orientated though, if you don't have the right setup... :blank:

O well, just one question, if i cast fire on the grease, will it ignite? (cause in some other game it did this, but since that was considered a "new feature" I'm curious)

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

A number of the bandits in the courtyard have crossbows in addition to the one Corwyn mentions, and rogues start with one as standard equipment, while rangers start with short bows. Just make sure you stand far enough away from the doorway, or the ogre will reach through and clobber you.

10. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

In the original paper module, the Ogre has 21 HP, attacks at +5, and does 2-8 (+5) damage. In the computer version he has 52 HP, attacks +14, and does 2-8 (+15)

The paper version can be surrounded and killed while one of the characters absorbs a possible hit. In the computer version he's gonna auto-hit and kill any level 1 or 2 character with each attack until you finish him off.

If you wear the flaming eye cloaks found in the adjacent room, you can start a dialogue with the Ogre (Lubash) which is quite entertaining.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  11. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

It's really highly suggested that you be at least 3rd level before entering the Moathouse- all the standard Hommlet quests plus the NC Welkwood Bog can get you there. Also, low level spells like Grease, Web, Bless, Bane, Doom, Cause Light Wounds, Magic Missile, etc can all help against the ogre. Just a warning though- the ogre CAN get past the door frame- it may be a rare glitch but I've had it happen to me...

12. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Ray of enfeeblement is also a nice spell for this encounter. After three rays, he hardly does any damage.

13. outdrack

outdrack Member

Thanks for the helps, so far enjoying this game... (even though it is quite different from most tb I've play so far)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  14. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

That crit damage is unreal, right? The bandit leader always kills me with a 50+ crit, nearly every time I've re-played that encounter. Check this out: 12th level ranger with 105 hp encountered a glaive wielding bugbear in the Temple lower level. Crit for 106 damage. Even Scather in hand isn't much help there.

Grease is a great spell. It should be named "Greasy" or "Slippery" because it only conjures the effects of grease-like conditions. So, no, it won't ignite. Unless the modders tinker with it.

15. sirchet

But web will burn, right?

Our Host!