Monk issues

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by G3N13, Jan 29, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. G3N13

G3N13 Member

I think you might be on to something there...

I'll look later if I have a save before the gargoyle or shadow match.

However, I still need the to hit bonus from the fang because when using the full attack I take the -15 penalty to first 2-3 attacks and, OTOH, DR of 15 and below is, well, manageable after I crafted the monk's belt and the amulet.

Yeah, stop dual-wielding. :sadblinky

Alternatively buff and gear up so much that a -15 penalty only slows you down. ;)

2. G3N13

G3N13 Member

Ok, the reason fists didn't work is wielding a weapon in off-hand.

I also tested haste with my level 11 monk, and yes, I get three attacks with -15 penalty to hit when using full attack. Totally awesome. :thumbsup:

I love playing these untervariants which usually get the short end of the stick... :)

3. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Have you tried using full attack without the quarterstaff and another weapon? The quarterstaff is already a two-handed flurry weapon. Try two daggers or anything other than a quarterstaff unless by itself.

4. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

even with a shortsword in your off hand you get the -15 if your main weapon is a fist. A small quarterstaff in the off hand gives even worse results as it's not considered a light weapon.

I'll do a quick check if a small quarterstaff in the main hand while equipping a light off-hand weapon still gives you access to flurry...

edit: still the same -15 quaternary att for the first two hits while wielding a small quarterstaff. I guess flurry & 2weapon style is too much for the engine :(

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. hellblazer

Thanks for checking. I discovered a bug I had never found before. If your dex is higher than your strength then you are supposed to use it on your trip attacks but instead your opponent gets to add your higher dex modifier on their roll to to defend against your trip.

6. G3N13

G3N13 Member

Here's what I've found out...

Two normal weapons: Full attack works
    Flurry with fists/single weapon: Full attack works.
    Flurry with an off-hand weapon: Full attack doesn't work.

Doesn't seem to matter if the main hand weapon is a monk weapon or unarmed.

I have tested flurry + full attack with unarmed, small quarterstaff, unarmed/dagger, unarmed/small quarterstaff, small quarterstaff/dagger and small quarterstaff/kama combo. Alas, kamas – and most other one handed monk weapons (IIRC the smith sells a small quarterstaff and halfling siangham) – are harder to come by than, say, katanas, kukris or full plates so I haven't been able to test the classic dual-kamas.

Also, you can't put a shuriken in the off-hand... ;)

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think the concept is if your off hand weapon is of greater size or weight than you main hand weapon you incur a higher penalty.

8. hellblazer

I found a work-around for the monk with TWF and flurry of blows. If you give the monk the rangers combat style it works as intended without the -15 3rd attack penalty.

9. G3N13

G3N13 Member

:clap:

You mean consoling in the feat/trait? Err, for purely academical reasons, how would I go about doing that and are there any (major) side-effects?

I wonder if that also fixes the improved TWF...

edit:
    Would it be possible to create a feat, monk two-weapon fighting, which would be equivalent to ranger's feat but with requirement monk and non-automatic picking?

10. G3N13

G3N13 Member

Umm...

I hex edited my monk two-weapon combat style, which didn't work. Then I added ranger's version of feats two-weapon fighting & improved two-weapon fighting with and without ambidexterity(?), but it still shows the -15 penalty.

That is, I tried feats 639, 640, 641 & 643. I even leveled up (to 12) after adding all the feats to no avail.

I did get my 6th attack if I dual-wielded with a flurryable weapon in the main-hand (not while unarmed though), so the editing itself seems to work...It just didn't have the desired effect.

11. hellblazer

Sorry, I wasn't thorough enough in my preliminary testing. The ranger two weapon fighting feat has the same effect as the standard twf feat.

What I noticed is that if you click full attack your first attack will be at -15 UNLESS you trip then it is at raw (and the subsequent follow up attack if you succeed).

If you click on an opponent to spend all your attacks on a single opponoent without tripping it works as raw.

In other words, if you are playing a TWF monk and want to avoid the dreaded -15 peanalty you should either:

1. If using full attack, trip with your first attack otherwise it will be at -15.
    Or
    2. Use the default click on attack option to attack one target and spend all your attacks against a single target.

The same is true using a monk /druid in wild shape with flurry and/or twf.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. G3N13

G3N13 Member

Darn.
    Say, does anyone else have problems with quick keyed trip attack?

Pressing the quick key for trip attack and then clicking to attack seems to do nothing until I select it from the menu...or keep clicking, in which case my character does a normal attack.

I wonder if it's related to the -15 penalty attacks or just another feature.

13. hellblazer

I haven't had a problem with it. Just click "T" and then on the opponent.

I make the following shortcuts:

full attack: A "all attacks"
    Single Attack: S "single attack"
    trip: T "trip attack"

14. G3N13

G3N13 Member

I have:
    Five foot step – S
    Move – X
    Full attack – U
    Trip attack – T

I think the last two suffer from the same feature as hitting 'u' works pretty erratically too.

I'm pretty sure it's tied to DW+flurry...and as my flurrying DW monk is my only fighting character I don't have much experience with a more, well, standard character.

The other characters are too puny to have any use for a full attack (even the cleric) let alone trip attack ;)

ps. ...also this, which I figured hotkeying way too late :)
    Read magic – W

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you aware that you can assign any key as a hot key by holding down control and pressing that key when the cursor is on the action you want to hot key?

Our Host!