Please help - ToEE doesn't start

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Exodite, May 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Exodite

Exodite Member

Hi there, I'm not really new to the game but i haven't been playing it for a while and have just recently installed in on my new computer.

Unfortunatly it doesn't seem to work, at all.

Clicking the icon gets the CD reading and the screen goes black for a moment before returning to the desktop. That's it.

I've tried the no-CD 3.0 version (running official patch 3) but that makes no difference.

I run WinXP Pro sp2 on an Athlon 64 3000+, Geoforce 6 (6600GT) with the official nVIDIA 71.89 drivers and have installed all the official patches to ToEE in order.

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated.

Btw., does anyone know why the exe tries to access the network? My firewall complains about it.

(Edit: Some fiddling later.)

Intresting.

Reinstalling the game garner the following results.

No patch: Starts but doesn't go further than trying to load the intro movie. Stuck at black screen.

Patch 1: Starts and gets as far as loading but gives a CTD with illegal memory access.

Patch 2: Starts, works fine though I assume I will get the no-loot bug and maybe others at this level with dx9.0c and sp2.

Patch 3: The aforementioned black screen and then back to desktop.

Most annoying.

Since Troika is no more I assume there will be no fix to patch 3 either. *sigh*

/Daniel

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  2. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Dont worry

First: Uninstall the game and delete the dir.
    Second: Install game, update with Patch 1 and 2. (DO NOT install patch 3 as I had it not start on me either.)
    Third: Install Co8 Fix + Livs mod.

Enjoy the game, as it is now fully working and fairly bug free. The fan mods take care of the DX9 and SP 2 issues.

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

did you upgrade to sp2 and dx9 or did you do a clean install from a slipstreamed cd?

anyways, the fan mods fix those bugs anyways...

4. Exodite

Exodite Member

I upgraded, that is I used Windows Update to download all the windows updates as my original disk doesn't even include sp1.

The fanfixes does work, so far as starting the game at least, and I have no reason to believe that they won't fix the bugs either.

The problem is that they also introduce quite a lot of material, additions and changes that go beyond simple bugfixes.

Which could be good, great for some, but I really don't want/need/agree with a majority of those changes.

Ah well, I guess I'm *beep*.

Thanks for the help though!

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  5. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

You should really try it, the fan fixes dont really change all that much, the idea was to change the plot as little as possible. Most of the additions are actually cases in which the modders had to make a decision on how to make something work once they fixed it, since it was completely broken before, and the rest is just making the ENGINE more compatible with the core dnd rules.

Our Host!