Question on Fugitives quest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Chad878262, Feb 4, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Hey everyone, first off, thank you for all of the amazing work you have done with this game! I am simply floored with everything you have done! Currently I just took a LG party through and completed the destruction of Zugtmoy, showing up in Verbabonc immediately thereafter. I went over to the constabulary and got the quest to apprehend the 3 fugitives and remembered from a previous version that one of them was in the spruce goose. I went and got him, took him out of the hotel and to an area where no guards or commoners were and proceeded to use subdual damage on him. Everything went fine and we were able to deliver him to the constabulary. However, when we went back to the spruce goose to rest for the evening everyone was hostile. I may not be remembering correctly but I am pretty certain that this was the correct method for getting the fugitives to jail... Should I try dominate person instead?
    thanks,

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

What you are trying to do in order to return the fugitives to the constabulary in order that they get the justice that they deserve is noble and what a sensible player would do to actually deal with this situation. Unfortunately, it isn't how the quests were designed to play out. The clue is when the fugitive tells you something along the lines of "And don't try taking me back to the constabulary." The only way that you can complete these quests (the way that the quests were intended to play out) is to make a deal with each fugitive to let the fugitive join your party on the condition that he will reveal the location of one of the other fugitives. You keep doing this until you are with all 3 fugitives, in which case the situation will unfold the way that it is intended to. If, on the other hand, your party doesn't have enough empty NPC slots for 1 or more of the fugitives to join your party, then again, the situation will unfold as it is intended to. When you return to the cells level of the constabulary, talking to Captain Achan will complete each fugitive quest. You may be able to select a dialogue option while conversing with Captain Achan that will reveal the second twist to the 3 fugitives quests (the first twist being what happens when you let the fugitives join your party while you seek out any of the remaining 3 fugutives).

I hope that this helps.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually I think it's supposed to work Chad's way as well. And it sounds like it is - the issue is just this everpresent problem with offending factions or turning neutrals aggro.

4. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Thanks for your responses, I tried taking him to Emridy Meadows, but it still turns all of the spruce goose hostile after I turn him in. Not sure what I can do with him at this point without having the good people of the SG attack me. You'd think they were his accomplices. I know I have successfully completed this in previous play through's, but this is my first with 8.0.1 so maybe there is just a little bug in my install...

5. Gaear

These overall issues with unexpected hostility are fluid in the sense that they happen at times but not other times. I've certainly tested that scenario with no issues, and yet here you are. That means most likely it's some engine glitch and not a bug on our end or an install issue on your end. In other words, it's ToEE. ;)

6. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Thanks again Gaear, so is this something that would happen in future playthrough's? If I keep trying in this play through will it happen every time or could I get 'lucky'? Just wondering if I should just skip this quest for now, if I have a bigger issue that may affect other quests later on, or if I might be able to somehow complete this quest without making it impossible for me to enter the spruce goose for future quest lines / resting? Don't really care either way, just trying to decide the best course of action...

7. Gaear

I don't know that it necessarily means all parties everywhere will go wrongly hostile from now on ... don't think it really works that way. You might try playing it a couple more times though and seeing if they stop that. Otherwise maybe go the route gazra suggested and don't knock him out.

Sorry, it's meant to be more dynamic than that but ToEE is what it is - we can't always control it.

8. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

ok, didn't want to drop Ronni and Melany, but I guess I can drop them both and go pick them up after. thanks again, you guys are always extremely helpful and it is greatly appreciated!

9. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Ok, ran through it real quick and wanted to give a report. Dropped Ronni and Melany so that I only had 5 members, went from SG to Nulb to Homlet for all 3 and was able to complete the quest. Interesting/strange occurrence though with Ronni: I do not have any half-orc's in my party, but Gunter was one and when I went to pick up Ronni after having killed the 3 fugitives he acted as if I had a Half Orc in party... I went to Verbobonc and turned in the quest, thinking it was picking up Gunter, then returned to Homlet, but Ronni still acts like there is a half orc, even charging 100 gold... Pretty messed up considering he has been with me since the beginning, I would expect a bit more loyalty from the guy! :p

10. Gaear

Quirky. Sigh, ToEE works in mysterious ways ...

Our Host!