I need advice about Wizard

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ifrook, Jan 18, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. ifrook

ifrook Member

i have 7 rangers + wizard

what is better:
    20 lev wizard or 15lev Wiz/ 5 lev Cleric

I wana take Cleric levels for Rings and most for level3 spell Prayer and level 1 bless

and i know i lose 9 lev Wizard spell ;/

what is better ?

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Just a question but- why do you have 7 rangers? Why not 6 rangers, 1 cleric and 1 wizard? Or 6 rangers, a ranger/cleric and a wizard?

3. ifrook

ifrook Member

becuse i just wana have 7 archers :D why not?

which wizard is better?

i think bard is useless becuse competence bonuses dont stuck ;/

4. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Or, Bard gives you permanent Prayer with Inspire Courage. And Prayer can still be useful to debuff the bad guys a little.

Note that, without the ability to recruit NPCs into your party, some quests will be essentially uncompleteable. Notably, The Rescue of Paida.

5. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

Who cares about her? Losing the ability to rescue Thrommel would suck way more.

6. ifrook

ifrook Member

Bard doesn't have prayer. Priest's prayer gives +2 LUCK and Inspire Courage gives +2 competence bonus. Those two are different things. Competence bonuses don't stack so its useless since there is an item (archer's bracelets) that gives +2 competence bonus.
    Do you guys know any good buff spells that do stack ?

7. Barles

Barles Member

The Wizard to lvl 20 is better. You lose both 8 and 9th level spells by taking that many cleric levels, and your 7th level spell progression is halted at 4. The cleric spells you get in return don't make up for that. 8th and ninth level wizard spells give you access to awesome summons, but mass charm monster and mass hold monster are great spells. Horrid wilting is also great if you combine it with clairvoyance on open maps.

Since you're using archers, they really shouldn't need any of the protection rings that the cleric can make (with just 3 levels of cleric mind you). You wizard should just lay down control like crazy. Things like heightened webs and stinking clouds are extremely archer friendly. Also, scribe scroll is the most overpowered crafting in the game. In toee, you craft your scroll at the highest casting level available to you, but the experience cost of the scroll remains as if you were creating it at the lowest casting level. So you can have 20 lvl 3 spell scrolls at current casting level for 300 xp. That's any combination of stinking cloud, fireball, slow, haste, etc. Also, scrolls stack making the control that inventory space limits have over the number of scrolls you can carry very weak. The level to which your wizard can control the battlefield in this game should make those protection rings nigh useless for your archers.

Note on the crafting. Make sure that when crafting scrolls, that you have no scrolls of that type in your inventory. The reason is, that the created scrolls will automatically stack with the scrolls in your inventory, then the entire stack will cast at the casting level of the lowest level scroll you have in that stack.

So say, you have a lvl 10 wizard who has found a fireball scroll. That scroll will be be cast at 5th level (the lowest for the fireball spell). Lets then say you choose to scribe 20 fireball scrolls. They normally would cast at lvl 10 (your current casting level). But because you had that fireball scroll in your inventory they'll stack on top of it, and all the scrolls in that stack will cast at 5th level.

8. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Uh, no. Prayer is +1, not +2. And Inspire Courage, Bracers of Archery, and Prayer ALL stack, at lest in the game engine. I just checked.

You are right in that Prayer and Inspire Courage do stack, though. I thought they didn't.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Inspire courage becomes +2 at level 8 and raises by 1 every 6 levels of bard.

10. ifrook

ifrook Member

ok thanks :) i will take sorcerer for Greater heroism :p becuse is the best single atack roll buff. dont stuck with bless or IC, buts stuck with prayer, and mayby with bracers.

and next if i dont take Fireball spell but i take delayed blast fire ball i will be create flaming, and fleaming burst ?

Our Host!